Collecting lightbars: Cool or not cool?

cromwell

Aug 30, 2010
Finland, Europe
Collecting lightbars: Cool or not cool?

Hello!

Does all your friends/relatives know that you collect lightbars/lights/sirens etc.?

Sometimes when I have told someone that I collect lightbars people have just stared at me and said someting like:

-"That´s a bit weird, what do you want to do with all the lightbars?"

-"Why do you collect something that you won´t be allowed to use?"

-"Is that not a bit childish? I mean to collect emergency lights?"

Due to these type of questions I just don´t tell people that I collect lightbars.

When someone visits my home and happends to see the collectionroom and comment it I just tell them: people collect

everything these Days, from poststamps and coffeecups to vinyl records, I collect lightbars.

Anyone else feel this way about collecting lightbars?

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
I get mixed reactions. My public safety co-workers and friends think it's awesome. My family and old lady also appreciate it as they see all of the hard work in restoration. Other people it is hit or miss. Guys usually get it, women typically think it's strange.

Whatever I guess. Not like I'm going to stop because someone thinks I'm weird. :haha:

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
I would like to point out, asking this crowd will result in a biased opinion.

Personally, I didn't care what anyone collects insofar as it isn't illegal.

Any remaining questions, consult a qualified, licensed mental health professional.

At the end of the day though, ask yourself if it makes you happy and if you can afford to own, maintain and build your collection. If both are yes, then who cares what anyone else thinks?

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I am either so far above (or so far below more likely) being "cool",  that I hadn't considered the concept in my recent memory.  The last time was worried about what anyone thought of my hobbies, I think I was 16 years old.  I do care if I look like a total incompetent moron, that's more social acceptability not "coolness".

In regards to whether or not it is socially acceptable or weird (vs. cool) to collect lights; What is and is not acceptable varies greatly by the surroundings/situation. There are people to whom I don't mention my light "pile" because the required explanation is too much trouble for me.  However, being a full time medic, it's pretty easy to simply say that I collect the obsolete tools/equipment of my profession.  The way one describes their activities must be custom tailored to the audience.  If you are getting confused, smart ass or nasty responses... either your audience or approach is off...change one or both.  People collect a lot weirder stuff than lights, it's all about the delivery. 

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
Some family members get it, and some don't. For me, I'm sort of "what ever" Most of the time I tell ppl that I was in the used lightbar sales and I would keep the odd, neat, rare, or collectible items. I also volunteer for a small fire department ( i'm not a fire fighter, I just maintain the vehicles and Im IT admin.) so I use that as an excuse, if there is one to use. One of my ex's could not get it through her head about the amount of cash I made on a deal. Yet she was a manager for a popular department store. If anyone should understand the concept of marketing and sales...you would think it would be her. 

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
I could care less what other people's opinions are of it. You know what they say, "opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one."

My wife doesn't get it. She thinks it's a big waste of money and dumb. She says the 'walls of the garage are full', time to stop. But, you move things around and you can always find more room.

May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
i get different opinons when i tell people I collect lightbars, some ask if i have pictures........others just give me the WTF look.

My mom knows I collect them, but doesnt say much. My supervisor where i volunteer put me to the test, and asked if i wanted to do some installs for him (which went perfect, cause i didnt explode the vehicles lol).

I guess its a matter of opinion..........me personally I enjoy collecting them (gives me something to work on when im not working).

collecting lightbars isnt my only hobby, i also do model railroading and build model cars..........and play with legos (hey i gotta act like a kid still once in awhile :p )

Reactions: Doug
This may sound odd, but I actually became quite "fond" of my lightbars (all 2 of them) because I put the effort in to get them, and clean them (well, the Edge is still in AL) and it's the sense of accomplishment in doing so that makes me glad I collect/collected them.

God I miss my MX7000 though, wish I hadn't donated it to my PD.  Just being able to take it apart, polish it up, and move the inner lenses around was gratifying.

My sirens as well, are something I'm fond of, mostly because some of them I've never seen/heard before and they hold a sort of unique-value to them, as well as look pretty cool (PA-100 springs to mind). 

When people ask me why, I always say "it's more interesting than collecting stamps or standing on a train platform waiting for a specific model locomotive to turn up".  For those who don't understand it, I just say "I worked for a PD, and got some of the stuff off them"

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I once built (IMO) a very nice model railroad.  I showed it to a friend, who looked at it and said, "How much could you sell that for?"  He didn't understand the concept of a hobby.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
I get mixed reactions. My public safety co-workers and friends think it's awesome. My family and old lady also appreciate it as they see all of the hard work in restoration. Other people it is hit or miss. Guys usually get it, women typically think it's strange.

Whatever I guess. Not like I'm going to stop because someone thinks I'm weird. :haha:
You weird Tony never  :D

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
I flaunt mine. I like showing off my big flashy lights. My friends think it's a little weird but really cool. Not like I care what they think anyway, I've always been a pretty shameless collector. No point in being ashamed of having some really awesome collections!

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
I'm with Ryan. I don't care what others think. My parents and friends think I'm good at this and amazed how much I know about emergency vehicle equipment. It makes me feel good and I like seeing my hard work displayed on my walls. I've made good friends and colleagues through this hobby too. I've never gotten a bad reaction yet. When I tell people I do this stuff, I always say towards the end "There's much more strange and weird hobbies out there, so this is nothing in my eyes."

May 21, 2010
Wilkes-Barre, Pa
Easy answer: COOL.

Anyone who has ever been in my basement display room usually stops in their tracks and stares in disbelief for a minute til they get their bearings! The reaction is always priceless. I tell most people a quick story of the significance of one bar or another like my NYPD Aero or LAPD aero. They all have some significance in one way or another and, for me are a way of preserving a small part of history in the emergency services field. Pretty much everyone gets it as a collection. I have a couple friends who collect nothing and they see no point to it at all. To them its just a waste of time and money. I respect that opinion but do not agree with it.

acklover

Apr 28, 2014
Southern Indiana
its cool....most people don't get it-including my wife. But, there are worse things than appreciating awesome technology and a piece of 40 year old equipment that keeps on going. Being able to work on them, wire them up, etc., is just a frigging gas. Collecting doesn't make us wannabe's, either. Thats the first impression that people get.

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
I will add light bars to my cool list of other activties

Trains,Radio,electronics.

i like how girls will be like i am nerd i like video games,comic books.    show them a radio or a soldering iron and they will think your uncool

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I don't really collect them.... they just  want to be around me all the time.

Weirdest thing really..

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
Is that the real JazzDad?

Reactions: kitn1mcc
Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
I have never cared what others consider cool. I collect emergency equipment, guns, and badges. When my ex used to gripe about these expenditures, I said it was either that or cocaine and hookers. I won that argument!

(just joking, of course, I haven't turned tricks in years) :D

Reactions: kitn1mcc

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I don't really collect lights.... I just buy them a lot and use them and stuff and my family thinks im crazy and usually girlfriends and such think its weird..... But I still do it and will continue doing it for a long time. I am addicted to them lol

And by "Girlfriends" boulder knows what im talkin bout ;)  I think he has a picture of me with them in a corral :D

Reactions: August Arborists

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.