Collection update for August 2022

ur20v

Feb 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
It occurred to me that I have been so busy with selling sirens on top of the rest of everything else in my life that I haven't posted any updates regarding my reckless spending habits! So far I've sold 35 Touchmasters on fleabay and a handful here, and that's allowed me to keep checking beacons off my imaginary list. Here's what I've acquired this summer:

20220826_191304.jpg
Dietz 235-6927 with (their version of) a hill light. Yes, the siren horn needs to be repaired/rebuilt, but I have a fantastic fiberglass guy for that.

20220826_191419.jpg
Large Petersen 4-bulb beacon. It only has two bulbs installed, and I think that's what saved it from the ridiculously high prices big 4 bulb rotators are going for.

20220826_191813.jpg
A nice little KD 888 2-bulb light

20220826_192103.jpg
Another Signal-Stat 350, for much less than what I paid for a so-called N.O.S. 350 in the spring that turned out to have a completely bad motor/gearbox. And less than just the rotating assembly someone else has listed on eBay.

20220826_192210.jpg
A very nice pair of Whelen RB6 beacons on housings with 700 series (I think?) LED heads. I'm keeping one, and the other has @JohnMarcson 's name on it, when his fiscal year begins anew and he can spend indiscriminately once again.

20220826_191715.jpg
This one I didn't even know existed, let alone that I had to have one! Trippe HB-1 "high ball" beacon. This one is 6v, so I may adapt the SVP Hot Shot rotator that came out of my Whelen 900 for use inside this housing non-permanently for display purposes.

20220826_191917.jpg
This one I did post a little about, the inner workings of a Federal Signal 175 hill light. I'll make an honest beacon out of it again, someday.

20220826_192309.jpg
This one is a little out of my wheelhouse, but it was so cheap I couldn't pass it up. Whelen L31 LED beacon. It came with a Whelen branch guard that I removed. Fun little light! I just hope to find a clear dome for it one day.

20220826_201736.jpg
Federal Signal 184 Powerlight, acquired from our very own @Jennifer Rose Towing

20220826_202231.jpg
SVP HotShot. I already have a HotShot II, and this was super cheap, so why not?

20220826_202124.jpg
This is the third Fire Ball I've bought that was said to be not working in one way or another, but as soon as I power them up they work just fine. I'm not complaining, especially not for $30.

Screenshot_20220826-200337_eBay.jpg
Of course I am still a lightbar guy at heart, so I had to snatch this up when I saw it. Code 3 LP6000. It has a funny newer rotator in one of the inboard positions, so I'll be replacing that with a proper one, and I'd really like to replace the siren housing with a clear dome (and maybe relocate that funny rotator to the center). I also need a couple more amber filters, but this fills a gap in my collection.

In sure I've forgotten a light or two... there's probably a box I haven't even opened yet, to be honest. Thankfully my wife hasn't filed for divorce (yet) and is still going on vacation with me next week.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
It occurred to me that I have been so busy with selling sirens on top of the rest of everything else in my life that I haven't posted any updates regarding my reckless spending habits! So far I've sold 35 Touchmasters on fleabay and a handful here, and that's allowed me to keep checking beacons off my imaginary list. Here's what I've acquired this summer:

View attachment 238626
Dietz 235-6927 with (their version of) a hill light. Yes, the siren horn needs to be repaired/rebuilt, but I have a fantastic fiberglass guy for that.

View attachment 238627
Large Petersen 4-bulb beacon. It only has two bulbs installed, and I think that's what saved it from the ridiculously high prices big 4 bulb rotators are going for.

View attachment 238628
A nice little KD 888 2-bulb light

View attachment 238629
Another Signal-Stat 350, for much less than what I paid for a so-called N.O.S. 350 in the spring that turned out to have a completely bad motor/gearbox. And less than just the rotating assembly someone else has listed on eBay.

View attachment 238630
A very nice pair of Whelen RB6 beacons on housings with 700 series (I think?) LED heads. I'm keeping one, and the other has @JohnMarcson 's name on it, when his fiscal year begins anew and he can spend indiscriminately once again.

View attachment 238631
This one I didn't even know existed, let alone that I had to have one! Trippe HB-1 "high ball" beacon. This one is 6v, so I may adapt the SVP Hot Shot rotator that came out of my Whelen 900 for use inside this housing non-permanently for display purposes.

View attachment 238632
This one I did post a little about, the inner workings of a Federal Signal 175 hill light. I'll make an honest beacon out of it again, someday.

View attachment 238633
This one is a little out of my wheelhouse, but it was so cheap I couldn't pass it up. Whelen L31 LED beacon. It came with a Whelen branch guard that I removed. Fun little light! I just hope to find a clear dome for it one day.

View attachment 238635
Federal Signal 184 Powerlight, acquired from our very own @Jennifer Rose Towing

View attachment 238636
SVP HotShot. I already have a HotShot II, and this was super cheap, so why not?

View attachment 238637
This is the third Fire Ball I've bought that was said to be not working in one way or another, but as soon as I power them up they work just fine. I'm not complaining, especially not for $30.

View attachment 238634
Of course I am still a lightbar guy at heart, so I had to snatch this up when I saw it. Code 3 LP6000. It has a funny newer rotator in one of the inboard positions, so I'll be replacing that with a proper one, and I'd really like to replace the siren housing with a clear dome (and maybe relocate that funny rotator to the center). I also need a couple more amber filters, but this fills a gap in my collection.

In sure I've forgotten a light or two... there's probably a box I haven't even opened yet, to be honest. Thankfully my wife hasn't filed for divorce (yet) and is still going on vacation with me next week.
I have a bucket of old style LP rotators and stationary lights if you need any.

Reactions: ur20v
May 21, 2010
Minnesota
The LP rotator appears to be from an MX7000. Common for people to put them in there. Not sure whats worse, those or nothing at all. Nice assortment ya have.

Benno

Jul 17, 2011
Germany
The LP rotator appears to be from an MX7000. Common for people to put them in there. Not sure whats worse, those or nothing at all. Nice assortment ya have.
The original LP rotators have been replaced over time by the newer MX rotators (with plastic reflector). I think to reduce the costs and the last LP had them already installed at the factory.
Doesn't necessarily make them prettier, but at least you can't blame anyone (except Code3 itself).

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
When code 3 rolled out the plastic "freeform" rotators that was the beginning of the end of their reign of halogen superiority. Code 3 had always had sturdy metal rotators that held their shine for a decent amount of time. The plastic ones ended up dull after only a few months. I can't imagine they cared much about halogen bars at the time they came out with these.

Either way I have a lot of parts for code 3 bars, mostly metal reflectors so I'm sure I can get yours replaced when you get around to it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.