Coloring Vintage Units

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
I'm feeling better and able to return to working on my collection. To do so, I'd like to ask for your suggestions as what colors and types of paint you'd suggest. This is what I have:

1. PA15-A - Dark Beige

2. PA20-A - Mottled light blue and white

3. PA150 - Black

4. PA300 - Black

5. Code 3 V-Con - Black

Do you suggest I use spray paints for most? Do I stay true to the existing colors? What would other collectors like to see if they wanted to buy one? Or, should I not clean the sirens up and leave them as is?

Thanks for your thoughts,

DalmatProd

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

rick h.

May 21, 2010
Green Bank WV.
Here is the info that Wailer sent Me some time ago

Hi Rick:

The Interceptor covers were always painted light grey, regardless of what version. The light grey paint had little specks of white in it, but if you can't achieve that colour effect, straight light grey will do.

Colours for the Director changed over the years. The PA15 (with wail, yelp and alert tones, c. 1962-1966) had a beige cover. The early PA15A (wail and yelp tones only, serial numbers beginning with 1A, 1B, 1C, or 1D) also had a beige cover.

The earliest PA15As with the 1E serial number (high-pitched tones) had a solid cover that was painted beige. Later models had covers with rows of ventilation holes, and they were usually painted light grey.

Hope this helps some

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I have different versions of brown face Director and blue face Interceptor sirens and I decided to leave them as is. They all look well used, but that adds to their antique character. However, if you don't like all the scratches, dings, and worn off paint, just paint the Director covers beige and the Interceptor covers light grey.

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
rick h. said:
Here is the info that Wailer sent Me some time ago
Hi Rick:

The Interceptor covers were always painted light grey, regardless of what version. The light grey paint had little specks of white in it, but if you can't achieve that colour effect, straight light grey will do.

Colours for the Director changed over the years. The PA15 (with wail, yelp and alert tones, c. 1962-1966) had a beige cover. The early PA15A (wail and yelp tones only, serial numbers beginning with 1A, 1B, 1C, or 1D) also had a beige cover.

The earliest PA15As with the 1E serial number (high-pitched tones) had a solid cover that was painted beige. Later models had covers with rows of ventilation holes, and they were usually painted light grey.

Hope this helps some

==================================

Thank, Rick. I appreciate the info the you forwarded to me.

Steve

DalmtProd

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Wailer said:
I have different versions of brown face Director and blue face Interceptor sirens and I decided to leave them as is. They all look well used, but that adds to their antique character. However, if you don't like all the scratches, dings, and worn off paint, just paint the Director covers beige and the Interceptor covers light grey.

=============================

Thanks for the good words, Wailer. I had been going back and forth in my mind as whether or not to clean them up or leave them as they are. I agree that leaving them as they are does keep them in that "vintage" mode and I could possibly ruin that aspect if I try to make them look good as new. So, after reading your email, I've decided that I will leave as they, just finish cleaning up the wires, and place them on a simple mount for display.

Thanks again for helping out. I appreciate it!

Best regards,

Steve

DalmatProd

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
If you do paint them stripe completely down and use metal etch primer for good adhesion.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.