Common Names of Specific CA Hi-Lo?

TDC

Lifetime VIP Donor
Dec 4, 2012
Carswell AFB, TX
"HI-LO AUDIBLE WARNING SOUND (CHP-R-2020-06207)" lists three specific approved Hi-Lo Evacuation tones, but by frequency and California name. Each has a 1 second cycle.
I would have thought that Whelen Carbide programming or the like would have this designated by now, but it doesn't.
The three are:
659-554 European Hi-Lo
932-740 USA Hi-Lo
1244-1046 California Hi-Lo

So, what are the Whelen names, let's say, for these tones? Like "Swiss Tone" or "DIN" ... I saw someone mention German Land tone, but I'm not sure if that is one of the approved ones or not.
Maybe someone can identify which ones are which with a frequency meter or something.

Just curious ... It hasn't rained here for 61 days so I might have to try out something like this soon.

Attachments

• 2020-06207_ISOR_ADA (1).pdf
    166.4 KB · Views: 3

TDC

Lifetime VIP Donor
Dec 4, 2012
Carswell AFB, TX
I did some checking; I found several papers that mention vehicle tones from France, Germany, and Switzerland with the frequencies. None of them match these.
I looked on several web sites for sirens and horns. Some industrial sirens use these frequencies, but again none match the pairs.

I assume by the way the section is listed that these products are already in use ... like maybe the standard Federal Signal Hi Lo complies or something.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
"HI-LO AUDIBLE WARNING SOUND (CHP-R-2020-06207)" lists three specific approved Hi-Lo Evacuation tones, but by frequency and California name. Each has a 1 second cycle.
I would have thought that Whelen Carbide programming or the like would have this designated by now, but it doesn't.
The three are:
659-554 European Hi-Lo
932-740 USA Hi-Lo
1244-1046 California Hi-Lo

So, what are the Whelen names, let's say, for these tones? Like "Swiss Tone" or "DIN" ... I saw someone mention German Land tone, but I'm not sure if that is one of the approved ones or not.
Maybe someone can identify which ones are which with a frequency meter or something.

Just curious ... It hasn't rained here for 61 days so I might have to try out something like this soon.

I have it and over 20 other HiLo tones in my Whelen Core. The CA tone (1244-1046Hz Cps California Hi-Lo) is called HiLo1244-1046. It is an option in the current Whelen Command program for supported devices. It sounds like you would think an evacuation tone would sound, less siren more late night TV Emergency Broadcast Network test.

View attachment HiLo.mp3

hhll.JPG

hilo.JPG

TDC

Lifetime VIP Donor
Dec 4, 2012
Carswell AFB, TX
Ah, Core; I see the others there, too. I update the Carbide almost every time I open it (because it asks me to), and these are not listed.
So I guess I can't be compliant unless I buy a whole new system? Not that I need to be, just thought all of the California folks moving here might notice, or maybe get homesick...

Cool, I will try manipulating some things, and not to get that 1244 if I can help it.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Ah, Core; I see the others there, too. I update the Carbide almost every time I open it (because it asks me to), and these are not listed.
So I guess I can't be compliant unless I buy a whole new system? Not that I need to be, just thought all of the California folks moving here might notice, or maybe get homesick...

Cool, I will try manipulating some things, and not to get that 1244 if I can help it.
It's a waste of a tone spot on a siren, unless you are in CA and can only run two tones.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.