Completed brush truck video added 6-25-11

amccullers

May 22, 2010
Wetumpka, Alabama
We are in the process of building a brush truck. The truck is a 2000 model Chevy 1ton that was a former ambulance. We will be putting a flat bed on it and moving our skid from our 3/4ton chevy. I've been buying some lights and radios here and there from this board, the only thing I need now is to replace the halogen flashers on the grille and fenders with strobes. Here are the first pictures of the truck and a console we built here at the station, the console is not complete yet still waiting on my money to clear pay-pal so I can buy the radio and cut the hole for it. Then we will cover it with vinyl that matches the seats. The switches are the marine rockers, and there will be a total of 10. The hole on the side of the console will be if I have to get back in there and work on something. I've bought a fuse block and a buss bar to make the wiring easier, never done that before. With a little time and patience maybe it will turn out half as good as some other members wiring jobs I have seen.

Any comments will be great.

Andrew

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u259_amccullers_P1010004.jpg

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u259_amccullers_P1010003.jpg

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u259_amccullers_P1010002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I like the switch's and think the box going to be nice. What tones are you guys running on the Alpha? Also, are you sure that truck is a 2000? Looks...older...

amccullers

May 22, 2010
Wetumpka, Alabama
The wires are not there for the flashers either, and I have 52 series strobes for the bed. And we don't have the money for LEDs alot of this is my own money. On one flasher all I need is twist lock strobe tubes to replace the halogen bulbs, so I only 2 73 series strobes.

CenTexPSE

May 21, 2010
Covington, TX
Chevy continues that body style in the 3/4 and 1 ton models up the the 2000 model year (maybe 2001, not sure)

amccullers

May 22, 2010
Wetumpka, Alabama
I went to my local whelen distributor for some 5 more switches, it would be over $100 for havis shield, I told them I didn't need switchs that bad. So I went to the local electrical shop and got the same looking switches for $38 with tax and I think they are marine grade.

amccullers

May 22, 2010
Wetumpka, Alabama
Did some more work on the wiring today. It is the first time I have put this much detail into wiring something, it makes me feel good. The bar will be a loaded MX7000 R/C/R. The extra switches will be for work lights on the back of the truck.

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u259_amccullers_P1010015.jpg

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u259_amccullers_P1010005.jpg

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u259_amccullers_P1010006.jpg

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u259_amccullers_P1010008.jpg

And the truck will be painted white over red. Tell me what you think.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
Why are you putting in Strobes when you can get LED's for pretty cheap, unless you have them already. Nice job keep us posted.

amccullers

May 22, 2010
Wetumpka, Alabama
I would love LED's but I have strobes already. Have 2 6 outlet supplys and 6 52 series strobes. I just need 4 73 or 700 series for the front to replace the halogens that were there. And when most of this is comming from my pocket, I do what I can.

On the bed there will be 6 52 series strobes, 2 on the sides and 4 to the rear. There is no other tones on that model siren, or I can't find how to change them. Whelen says there is suppose to be dip switches, but I don't see any.

ohi007

May 21, 2010
Canton, oh
looking good, nice job in progress. great job on the wiring also.

will be waiting for the finished pics.

BlazinOKFF

May 26, 2010
OKC, OK
What color of strobes are you looking for?

BlazinOKFF

May 26, 2010
OKC, OK
amccullers said:
Blazin I just bought some 700 series from the board. But thanks

No problem at all...good luck with the rest of the project!

RMBROWN

May 20, 2010
Brooklyn.MI
Sorry but that dosent look like a 00 chevy i have one and i dosent look like that. like the console though hopefully you will post a video of the build when its done.

N6FOG

Jun 26, 2010
traumajunkie said:
Wasn't me that said it. But since u asked, the more flexible the better in something that moves IMHO and its not very flexible.

THHN only has 7 strands, and is really stiff. It's great in house wiring, since it'll bend around in the conduit.

Most of the 12ga wiring for automotive use has 19 or 37 strands. Small wires can handle multiple flexes and vibration better than one big one can.

amccullers

May 22, 2010
Wetumpka, Alabama
The truck is being painted by a firefighter and he has the red done and will paint the white tomorrow. We bought a flatbed and had to cut it down to 10ft, so now it will go back and have it sandblasted. As far as the strobes for the bed I'm gonna put 2 amber and 2 red to the rear and have them alternate and then put 1 red on either side of the bed, I'm thinking I want to have the rub rail cut and bent in so they come to the edges of the light and the light will be on the actual bed and not be out there for them to be nocked off by trees.

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u259_amccullers_P1010001_1.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u259/amccullers/P1010003-2.jpg

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u259_amccullers_P1010002_2.jpg

As far as the bar I'm going to make led bars out of the pieces I have left of my MX, I got to thinking about all the power it takes to turn 5 rotators.

Let me know what ya'll think

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
the red paint looks good imo. did u make/plan a deadline by when you'd like to have this 100% finished?

asweezy

May 20, 2010
Wellsville, NY
The mx LED bar are you going to get RX2700 tops for it? Also what LEDs are you going to use? I would use a larger nice GEN3 LED COMBO of TIR and LIN Style with a flasher to sync them all.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
Wow, any reason you didn't go with a 4x4? I don't think I've ever seen a brush truck that wasn't four wheel drive. I'd be afraid to lose that apparatus without the extra traction!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.