Computer based light program

Uafan6988

May 30, 2010
I saw someone on here once had a program on their TV headunit in their car that controlled their lights. Who makes them?

Michael

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Fedsig Smart siren

I also think Whelen has one..

And some other manufacturers are jumping on the bandwagon as well...

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
54ward... or whatever it's called???

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
I think you are referring to the guy that had I think an Acura. He had an onboard computer, through which he ran the SS through it. Federal Signal has software to run the SS through a laptop or other computer.

jantman

Jun 2, 2010
NJ, USA
Back when I was planning to do an in-car computer, I was thinking of setting up a few flashers and a bank of computer-controlled relays, along with some software to run it. You could do some pretty amazing things with custom hardware and software (i.e. build & program your own flasher and be able to create your own patterns) but one big problem with this is what happens in the case of computer failure...

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
MPD 818 said:
I think you are referring to the guy that had I think an Acura. He had an onboard computer, through which he ran the SS through it. Federal Signal has software to run the SS through a laptop or other computer.

That would be me!! :D

The Acura is no more, but I believe I posted it on the old board... http://www.freeyabb.com/elightbars/view ... elightbars

MPD is correct... I was running a CarPC with windows XP... I had an SS2000 which used the SS2000 TouchScreen Emulation software... Honestly, unless you're an LEO whose already got his or her computer up and running and has HF built into the car... I don't think the touchscreen is safe to use while driving code... but it did work well for the Acura as a DEMO ;)

Any other questions, please PM me...

Thanks!

Seth

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
I second what he said about being a LEO. I also did the In car Computer set up with the Federal Signal SS touch screen software and it really isnt good unless your car has already on. If you get up in the middle of the night you have to wait til your computer to start up and load all the software. Taking valuable time away from your call. I did have the controller hooked up also but it would take at least 5 minutes to turn on the computer and load the software. By then I am just about at the station or the scene.

jantman

Jun 2, 2010
NJ, USA
ffjwhite said:
I also did the In car Computer set up with the Federal Signal SS touch screen software and it really isnt good unless your car has already on. If you get up in the middle of the night you have to wait til your computer to start up and load all the software.

It's a shame that the software is Windows-only. One of the reasons why Linux is so popular for in-vehicle computers and embedded systems (usually stuff that's OEM - i.e. whole systems manufactured by one company) is that you can get the boot time way down - I had a Linux laptop with full graphical desktop that took 12 seconds power on to fully running. And I didn't even try that hard.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
With my CarPC... I did some tweaking and had XP up and running with the SS2000 in under 90 seconds... but in order to use this... you HAVE to have the secondary controller readily available... Great concept... ehh... on the actual execution and use...

Seth

Uafan6988

May 30, 2010
Yeah I just got an Alpine head unit with a 6.5 inch screen, thought i could add something like this onto it but I don't think it's going to work...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.