Configuring a Code 3 Switch Box with an MX-7000

CatBacker88

Jun 13, 2013
Kansas
I have an MX-7000 in my modest collection and I've got it set up to work with the pictured Code 3 branded switch box. Both are unaltered from factory setup as far as I know. I can't seem to find a manual for the switch box, any help there would be greatly appreciated. For now though, I have it wired (and it works well) with the slide switch position 1 turning on the front and rear flashers, position 2 adding the five rotators, and position 3 adding intersection sweeps. Rocker switches marked Takedown, Left Alley, and Right Alley do their thing as well. Question is, given the Rotating Lights and Takedown" rockers are present, what would the slide switch have been used for in the field? Are they there just to give the operator more flexibility in deciding what to turn on and what not to? I don't want to over-think this, just wondering if I'm missing something here.

Attachments

• IMG_1662.JPG
    IMG_1662.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 23

Dave F

Sep 13, 2015
Berks County, PA
As far as the manual, what information are you looking for from it?

As for the purpose of the slide switch, you are correct that it gives the field user some flexibility which lights they want on. To go to a call, you would obviously want all of the lights on, however perhaps once on scene you dont need your rotators ( and the amp draw that comes with them) so you could shut those down and only have rear facing lights/flashers etc

i have the exact same box wired to my MX7K, feel free to message me any questions you may have

Reactions: CatBacker88

CatBacker88

Jun 13, 2013
Kansas
Thanks for taking time to answer! I'm looking for a manual in PDF format; I'd just like to have one on hand. Regarding the switch box, I'm trying to confirm whether the box I have is set up the way it should be for the MX7000 I have. If it is, that's good. Just wondering whether the independent flashers and rotators rockers are correct with this pairing and what might have been controlled by the AUX switch.

Dave F

Sep 13, 2015
Berks County, PA
For the manual see here: https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/v...allation-guide-code-3-public-safety-equipment

I believe what you’re asking is if there was a set standard way the pack would be wired to the bar; to which there is no standard per say, its all on the end user.

The aux is a 2 stage switch, up for on, down for momentary which is commonly used for gun locks on police vehicles, or in the event of an led bar, to change flash patterns.

Reactions: CatBacker88

CatBacker88

Jun 13, 2013
Kansas
Thanks again! You've successfully zeroed out my concern that I've overlooked something obvious. I'll just go ahead and rig it to function exactly as labeled in my picture.

Reactions: Dave F

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
That rocker switch configuration would be typical for a switch box without a slide switch. I suspect someone just put on a default set of labels. You can get a new sticker sheet from Gall's for two bucks and configure it however you want.

Last edited:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
pretty sure only Galls ever used blue switches..

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
pretty sure only Galls ever used blue switches..

I have seen a five-switch Galls switch box with red switches. Here is one in the same housing as the switch box in my memory, but with slightly different wording at the top.

KYrW91o.jpg

Photo Credit: eBay

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
their sw300 and sw400 "knockoffs" had blue switches for awhile.. same with the sirens.

galls-street-thunder-rocker-switchbox_1_46cb7b4462847e619ef66398c8e127ed.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

CatBacker88

Jun 13, 2013
Kansas
Right, except the real SW400 only has four rockers. I guess bottom line is the box I have does more stuff than the light bar does, adding in this case the ability to run the rotators without the flashers by using the rocker instead of the slide. No worries!

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
The point of my post was that code 3 which your box says it is... Is the exact same as that galls box, but I've never seen blue switches on a code 3 box. Granted I know that code 3 rebranded a lot of stuff for galls...

BlueTank

Apr 10, 2021
Kentucky
I have the same box and I too am looking for configuring info. I am setting up my Light bar, grille and pereimiter lights on my truck, Vol FD, and want to use this box to do so. Looking to run the the grill/license plate mount/Side window LEDS in level 1 but also have the switched by one of the blue switches. The on Level 2 have my WigWags and the LEDS then on Level 3 have my Light bar and all the others running. Idea is to have it capable of flipping down to level 1 when on scene and have only the LEDS on for caution lighting. How do I do that? the instructions included only show the that there are 3 levels. NOT any wiring tips. Trying to get my brain around this thing. Thanks in advance.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.