Confused about Smart Sirens...

ibby

May 28, 2010
So heres the deal,

Im a volunteer EMS member, and have my POV set up with lights.I have 2 spaarate brookings switch boxes (1 for my Lightbar, 1 for the rest of the lights) AND i have a hand held siren switchbox (it has capabilities to hook up lights to it but im going to be taking it out soon, knock off brand)

A buddy of mine recommended a Smart Siren, and when i started looking into it, i confused myself with all the different types.

Could someone be kind enough to explain the differences (ss2200, s, sm, etc.) and maybe recommend one for me?

Below is a list of equipment i have:

LED LB with directional on back

LED TIR 4 Grill Lights

LED TIR 4's to sides

LED TIR 4's to the rear

HLF/TLF

Strobe HAW in HL, TL, and Fog Lights

I apologize if this post has been explained in the past, i tried doing a search for it at the old forum but couldnt find anything useful.

Thanks in advance,

Ibby

topflight

May 22, 2010
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
An ss2000 is a standard smart siren, an ss2000-sm has the arrowstick function and 4 extra buttons on the top of the control head for the arrowstick, they have the same sirens and light features just one has the arrowstick and one doesn't.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
It should be noted the arrowstick has to be hard wired to the unit, it is not able to be used with a third party flasher. (so make sure you like the boring fedsig arrowstick patterns first!)

Make sure someone does not rip you off if you buy a used one- stay away from any that say Vision or GE in the model #.

A smartsiren will be able to control all your lights and have them on seperate buttons (well clustered) so all your grille lights could be on one switch, etc.

ibby

May 28, 2010
Thanks for your replys!

So if my lightbar already has the arrowstick function built in, i have to disconnect it and wire it directly into the sm? wont that mess up the flash patterns on the lightbar?

Also, what exactly is the issue with the ones that say Vision or GE in the model number? Are they fake? old? Defective?

Thank You

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Ge version is for GE radios- only can be controlled by a radio- not a smart siren keypad. (GE Orion radio)

I have one, (GE system) have yet to install it, but overall its pretty neat. Great if you need a radio, and smartsiren and have next to no space to equipment.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
You need to make sure is says SMART Siren not Vision. If you have a vision siren the siren will work fine but you will have a 20 second dely turning on and off the lights. I just installed a vision siren into a 2001 Impala, it has the delay for the lights. I am looking for 2 Green boards out of a old vision lightbar to make it work. A lot of Vollies I know put in a used Vision siren and hook their lights to a diffrent switch. Again its meant to work with the visoin V bar.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.