Connecticut State police lighting

DBcooooooper

Aug 2, 2021
CT
Also forgot to ask a couple questions....does anyone know why the CSP uses Inner Edge Visor lights AND the lightbar..?? Makes sense to have the Rear inner edges for added visibility during stops, but the front doesn’t make any sense. **Pic: XLP Duo inner edge with a Legacy Duo lightbar.

*****And why doesn’t CSP utilize the headlight hide-away option on any of their PIU’s?? Even the 2020’s, which have a factory option to have up to 3 SOS mPowers in each headlight, or upfitted with up to 3 other brand lights - Microns, T3’s, Microburst’s, etc. It would make even more sense to have at least 1-2 since the CSP vehicles don’t utilize any form of “fog light” area lighting (also a factory option) other than in some 2012-2015 PIU’s that have PAR28’s, nor any Tracers (or other brand running board location lighting).

Last...has anyone else seen the “truly unmarked” vehicles that they’ve finally used with non-obvious civilian plates (.not the obvious ###-UTZ,WWL,WHK)?? I and several other people have seen the two PIU’s starting with BA-##### or PI’s with AM-##### — neither have spot-lights in the A-pillars (but you can see the front, rear, and side lighting and cameras etc if you are paying attention)...all the same things as on the “usual” ones: Ions in front grille and side rear windows, FST and RST in front/rear windshields, BUT these do have plate mount lights and Under Mirror lights - likely due to the lack of spotlight. The officers are always “plain clothed” but with badges, vests and other utilities and vehicles are Black or White PI/PIU’s that are 4-8yrs old and tinted. Anyone seen any others like this??
****Recently saw a dark brown PI with lightbar, and plates had a round state seal on the left and then just “1•7” on it down near exit 3 on 95. Another identical one a week earlier, with “SP•5” up exit 37 on the Merrit (it’s NOT a municipal plate, nor was it “5•SP” like towns in CT are).
Have seen a few more - Blue (dark metalic) 2016-2019, Maroon 2020, Black 2015, and Gold 2016-2019....The gold one was actually sitting on the post road in Darien, and had two ion surface mounts mounted to the rear hatch door about 4 inches above the bottom ( never seen that on any CSP cars) and wouldn't have realized it was in fact CSP if it didn't have a UTZ plate. There's also been the plates that are like AW0AA2 or somethng like that, but still recognizable - it's the AM #### and the BA #### ones that are 2014/15 models or 2016-2019's that really are sneaky once the sun goes down and you can't see the dark tints & silhouettes of lights in the windows (and the plate lights, but those are hard to see until last minute).

DBcooooooper

Aug 2, 2021
CT
Anyone know why the PIU's all seem to have different CRUISE lights/? What I mean is: some will have just the outter half of each side of the FST and or RST lit up, some have the whole thing, some have the RST in R/B and others have the R/A/B...Some have the Amber STATE POLICE lit up, while others are just in RB. Just the other night I actually came across two 2020PIU's doing a traffic stop that had the AMBER flashing with the R/B on the FST's rather than the usual white (That was definitely a first). Does that mean that the FST's are TRI-COLOR? Seems like a waste just to be able to have two extra Amber lights per side.

O2Warnings

Jul 14, 2020
CT
Also forgot to ask a couple questions....does anyone know why the CSP uses Inner Edge Visor lights AND the lightbar..?? Makes sense to have the Rear inner edges for added visibility during stops, but the front doesn’t make any sense. **Pic: XLP Duo inner edge with a Legacy Duo lightbar.

*****And why doesn’t CSP utilize the headlight hide-away option on any of their PIU’s?? Even the 2020’s, which have a factory option to have up to 3 SOS mPowers in each headlight, or upfitted with up to 3 other brand lights - Microns, T3’s, Microburst’s, etc. It would make even more sense to have at least 1-2 since the CSP vehicles don’t utilize any form of “fog light” area lighting (also a factory option) other than in some 2012-2015 PIU’s that have PAR28’s, nor any Tracers (or other brand running board location lighting).

Last...has anyone else seen the “truly unmarked” vehicles that they’ve finally used with non-obvious civilian plates (.not the obvious ###-UTZ,WWL,WHK)?? I and several other people have seen the two PIU’s starting with BA-##### or PI’s with AM-##### — neither have spot-lights in the A-pillars (but you can see the front, rear, and side lighting and cameras etc if you are paying attention)...all the same things as on the “usual” ones: Ions in front grille and side rear windows, FST and RST in front/rear windshields, BUT these do have plate mount lights and Under Mirror lights - likely due to the lack of spotlight. The officers are always “plain clothed” but with badges, vests and other utilities and vehicles are Black or White PI/PIU’s that are 4-8yrs old and tinted. Anyone seen any others like this??
****Recently saw a dark brown PI with lightbar, and plates had a round state seal on the left and then just “1•7” on it down near exit 3 on 95. Another identical one a week earlier, with “SP•5” up exit 37 on the Merrit (it’s NOT a municipal plate, nor was it “5•SP” like towns in CT are).

I found out what this plate was. DAS leased vehicle.
What???

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Anyone know why the PIU's all seem to have different CRUISE lights/? What I mean is: some will have just the outter half of each side of the FST and or RST lit up, some have the whole thing, some have the RST in R/B and others have the R/A/B...Some have the Amber STATE POLICE lit up, while others are just in RB. Just the other night I actually came across two 2020PIU's doing a traffic stop that had the AMBER flashing with the R/B on the FST's rather than the usual white (That was definitely a first). Does that mean that the FST's are TRI-COLOR? Seems like a waste just to be able to have two extra Amber lights per side.

I have seen variations as well. Along with every light head on the vehicle in cruise mode.
I do not have solid knowledge on these but my guess is that it’s all in the programming. I guessed that the cruise button in their controller is multi-level. Press it once and you get front corner modules in cruise, second press puts front and rear corner modules in cruise, third press is the center “state police” in the front in cruise, fourth is front and rear center SP in cruise, etc.

Reactions: O2Warnings

Aug 13, 2021
CT
Correct me, if I'm wrong, but back in the late 50s and 1960s, CSP used portable red lights on their cars. Lights used were Fire Ball FB-1, Vitalite 121, and Deputy RotaBeam, all red, magnet mount.
Most documentation I've seen have, however some I saw a photo of a '68 Ford with a visibar in the double red twin beacon ray set up along with the siren speaker were used but I appeared to have been more rare.

O2Warnings

Jul 14, 2020
CT
No offense, but I highly doubt that if it was a DMV Insp. They had "DMV" in stickers in the center back in the day and now, if they have a lighted center sign, it says "Motor Vehicle" in the same over under as the CSP had. Unless they snatched an old bar from a CSP car and we're using that...which I highly doubt.

DMV big hats are...sticklers...for the rules. That's why they are in that job. They have even been known to burn PD's for infractions such has white reverse lights flashing (*cough* Windsor *cough*)...
All state police cars have flashing white rear..??? Are you saying they are all illegal?

PJH51

Jul 28, 2018
North Carolina
A question I have is how did they set the lightbar up to be removed when off duty? I have been trying to find some pictures on how theirs is setup cause I’m thinking on doing the same for my Charger for days when i may want the bar and when traveling I can remove it

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
@PJH51, I don't know for sure, but I'd bet even money they used MNStar connectors.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
I am not sure of the brand.
They used several over the years.

Large square connector from the 80’s or earlier.
Edge bars and *maybe* the very early liberties used more of a rectangle connector.
The last generation of liberty and legacy bars used a round connector.

I tried searching for images as reference but none came up in my searches.

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
Yeah. I was told that the State Patrol here in Washington has used those for years so they can easily remove their bars.

As I said, I don't know if CT used those, but if you're just looking for a removable option then those would definitely do that.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Yea. I know the newest version is circular. I did some digging but couldn’t find it.
That was the only one I found.
It’s all good.

Reactions: PJH51

upnorth896

Dec 13, 2011
MI
Yeah I looked at that earlier, the ones they use now is a circular one and a housing that looks like a shark fin.
Not sure if this is what they use, but here’s a Code 3 version.

Attachments

• 9894D406-42BA-4A95-8412-2E62C8F38896.jpeg
    9894D406-42BA-4A95-8412-2E62C8F38896.jpeg
    61.1 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: dmathieu

DLuccia

May 21, 2010
Greater Waterbury CT
Correct me, if I'm wrong, but back in the late 50s and 1960s, CSP used portable red lights on their cars. Lights used were Fire Ball FB-1, Vitalite 121, and Deputy RotaBeam, all red, magnet mount.
Im not old enough for 50s/60s But in the 70s They were all blue with red or yellow signs when we had to fight them because that's what us volunteer fire fighters used

Attachments

• 7856a2f7c5b5fe983f1ce91fa128a863.jpg
    7856a2f7c5b5fe983f1ce91fa128a863.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 20

cabunty

Sep 21, 2014
New England
Im not old enough for 50s/60s But in the 70s They were all blue with red or yellow signs when we had to fight them because that's what us volunteer fire fighters used
Do you remember how rare it was to spot one of these Mickey Mouse/Rookie Racks with a red lens over the PAR46? Or when they would turn the cruise light on inside the middle light?

DLuccia

May 21, 2010
Greater Waterbury CT
Do you remember how rare it was to spot one of these Mickey Mouse/Rookie Racks with a red lens over the PAR46? Or when they would turn the cruise light on inside the middle light?
I remember the cruise lights but I don't remember red lens on the par46.

Aug 13, 2021
CT
Thanks for the answer...and I agree completely - the two Microns in the grille are not sufficient, and the ions on the push bars are single color white (no clue why they would waste $ on single color these days when the duo’s/trio’s are only about $10-$15 more per light). I also think they could use two plate lights (ions) in the rear & some under mirror lights instead of the front fender V23’s (which can only be seen from about 45deg between front/side, rather than from the front, rear and sides like Intersectors, Pucks, LinV’s and Crescents)....and as I mentioned, the headlights factory readiness not being utilized at all is a bit silly.
***Is anyone else surprised that more agencies/states, including CT, don’t use Federal Signal lights (at least Spectralux ILS’s and CN Signalmasters)?? I only ask because they are the brightest of all the manufacturers, even with the reduced size, and have superior flash patterns to all competitors (which i’d consider to be: Whelen, Feniex, Code3 & Soundoff). ****And yes, I know of Whelens two locations, one is in CT....but that’s irrelevant just like Chicago PD using Code3 for so long despite FS being located in U-Park, IL. Texas SP using FS even though Feniex is headquartered in Austin, etc. My point(s) being, highway agencies are where lighting is extremely important, and the other being that it seems as though all CT law enforcement are Whelen users (state and muni).
As far as I know currently every emergency law enforcement agency in CT uses Whelen lighting products. I guess Whelen has a tradition in CT for emergency lighting, however in many cases other lightbar manufacturers were in use but mainly in the past. For municipal law enforcement agencies prior to 1970 Federal Signal products were most common. In the 70s when lightbars became commonly used Whelen Crossbars and 6000, and 8000 series bars were in use often but Twinsonics and Visibars were the most widely used. It wasn't until the late 80s that Whelen had annihilated the market. It was the Edge series bars that became the standard but rare cases in witch Federal, and a couple others would be seen. The last time I saw any lightbar on a police vehicle that wasn't a Whelen product was in the late 2000s when I saw a strobe Federal Vista being used. In the 70s and 80s Whelen was relatively common along with Signal Stat and Yankee, but Twinsonics ruled. At least half of the agencies moved from Twinsonics to 8000s and often even Edges.

Aug 13, 2021
CT
As far as I know currently every emergency law enforcement agency in CT uses Whelen lighting products. I guess Whelen has a tradition in CT for emergency lighting, however in many cases other lightbar manufacturers were in use but mainly in the past. For municipal law enforcement agencies prior to 1970 Federal Signal products were most common. In the 70s when lightbars became commonly used Whelen Crossbars and 6000, and 8000 series bars were in use often but Twinsonics and Visibars were the most widely used. It wasn't until the late 80s that Whelen had annihilated the market. It was the Edge series bars that became the standard but rare cases in witch Federal, and a couple others would be seen. The last time I saw any lightbar on a police vehicle that wasn't a Whelen product was in the late 2000s when I saw a strobe Federal Vista being used. In the 70s and 80s Whelen was relatively common along with Signal Stat and Yankee, but Twinsonics ruled. At least half of the agencies moved from Twinsonics to 8000s and often even Edges.
Examples:
Our Capitol Hartford used Twinsonics in the 70s.
Y2IFGDLLHREZRCPLOTHFKKFTBY.png

Hartford-Civic-Center_1978-300x207-1.jpg
I don't know what was used in the 80s but by the early 90s Edges were the units installed. New Haven was the same.
dfb9288de04a29b26dbbf630057b906c.jpg

As you can see by the early 90s. http://www.policecarwebsite.net/fc/copcarpics/newhav5.jpg.
Other examples. http://www.policecarwebsite.net/fc/copcarpics/nwalk27.jpg,
ratio3x2_1200.jpg

R.8726e2eeb515873bf506452fa3f4a033
1970's Plymouth Line Cruiser

West Hartford used candy cane Aerodynics in the 80s through early 90s.
OIP.7YkI_f8fU0AKrmKD_tZULgHaFH

I know that Haddam used Blue Aerodynics in the 80s on their Caprices I saw footage of it from a few news clips achieved from the 1989 Tornado. The Strobe Vista I mentioned was from Meriden.
OIP.4PrwyVlOCgS6ZeHfEfbglwHaEo

cabunty

Sep 21, 2014
New England
That's because Whelen has the bid.

cabunty

Sep 21, 2014
New England
Do you mean Whelen has a virtual monopoly since the late 80s due to their bidding process, particular due to them being located locally?
Connecticut's nickname is Corrupticut for a reason. Bid rigging is just one of those reasons. There are many instances of this in all areas of the state government. I've even witnessed it get down to product XYZ must weigh 1234 grams and the supplier MUST be exactly 7.2 miles from location Bravo. Now they build into the bids certain functionality, dimensions, and location that only one company can supply.

They built a 9-mile long, billion-dollar busway a few years back and the big players in the state (Tilcon, Manafort, and O & G) thought they had it in the bag...were not even concerned...and flipped out when an out-of-state contractor lowballed the ENTIRE bid...and the state couldn't disqualify them. This happened with the SP cars in the 80's and 90's...a company in RI managed to lowball the upfitting...

ur20v

Feb 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
Also until the 2000’s, cars could be any color as the state bought in fleet quainities. Dark blue was common, burgundy was also seen (usually assigned to troopers that admin wanted to make an example out of - no one liked them).

Huh... My cousin was issued a maroon Crown Vic (late eighties, last of the boxy style), and he was a very highly regarded and well respected Trooper, both by fellow law enforcement and criminals alike. Actually, it seemed to me that Troop D had quite a few maroon cars back then.

And the father of a girl I grew up with (went to elementary and high school together) was also a Trooper (though not our Resident State Trooper... I think our town had its own constables, though that didn't mean much) and he was issued a Mustang... And word is he wasn't the brightest beacon blinking, nor was he well liked among his comrades.

cabunty

Sep 21, 2014
New England
Huh... My cousin was issued a maroon Crown Vic (late eighties, last of the boxy style), and he was a very highly regarded and well respected Trooper, both by fellow law enforcement and criminals alike. Actually, it seemed to me that Troop D had quite a few maroon cars back then.

And the father of a girl I grew up with (went to elementary and high school together) was also a Trooper (though not our Resident State Trooper... I think our town had its own constables, though that didn't mean much) and he was issued a Mustang... And word is he wasn't the brightest beacon blinking, nor was he well liked among his comrades.
You are correct. You got what you got if you were in GP. There was no "preference" for colors unless they were super, super rare. Like bright red...there was a Capt of central traffic who had a white one which definitely was the envy of some...but nobody really cared.

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England

Attachments

• F8A57F9C-394F-4A2D-A9EB-A90ADE98BB77.png
    F8A57F9C-394F-4A2D-A9EB-A90ADE98BB77.png
    333.7 KB · Views: 14
  • BF5BEB4E-3CCE-4F64-8331-DAA2DDA3D11A.png
    BF5BEB4E-3CCE-4F64-8331-DAA2DDA3D11A.png
    266.1 KB · Views: 14

Aug 13, 2021
CT
Thanks for the answer...and I agree completely - the two Microns in the grille are not sufficient, and the ions on the push bars are single color white (no clue why they would waste $ on single color these days when the duo’s/trio’s are only about $10-$15 more per light). I also think they could use two plate lights (ions) in the rear & some under mirror lights instead of the front fender V23’s (which can only be seen from about 45deg between front/side, rather than from the front, rear and sides like Intersectors, Pucks, LinV’s and Crescents)....and as I mentioned, the headlights factory readiness not being utilized at all is a bit silly.
***Is anyone else surprised that more agencies/states, including CT, don’t use Federal Signal lights (at least Spectralux ILS’s and CN Signalmasters)?? I only ask because they are the brightest of all the manufacturers, even with the reduced size, and have superior flash patterns to all competitors (which i’d consider to be: Whelen, Feniex, Code3 & Soundoff). ****And yes, I know of Whelens two locations, one is in CT....but that’s irrelevant just like Chicago PD using Code3 for so long despite FS being located in U-Park, IL. Texas SP using FS even though Feniex is headquartered in Austin, etc. My point(s) being, highway agencies are where lighting is extremely important, and the other being that it seems as though all CT law enforcement are Whelen users (state and muni).
Monroe, Fairfield, Stratford are using Federal and I think Madison uses Soundoff.

Aug 13, 2021
CT
So late to the party - but as previously stated, it’s a custom job by Whelen as they have done custom work since the crossbars used.

From a history perspective, all our cars were ordered without am/fm radios until the delete option cost more than keeping the radio. There was a four position rotary switch where the radios would have been (front/rear/all/cruise).

This carried over from the crossbars to the first generation 9000’s which were setup for an in/out pattern (vs usual alternating) with the light up state police.

those were replaced overtime when the diagnostic bars came out (concurrently with center consoles and am/fm radios).

Those assigned to road patrol will have the bars on (back in the not to far past) when they leave home. The first 30min on and the last 30min is known as GP or general patrol. They cannot (could not) come off until after.

When we got Art Spauda as the commissioner, all those placards that attached to the trunk were employed when the bars went on for the same duration. After his time was up, I think every one found a dumpster.

as a history note, placards were used up until the 70’s?

Also until the 2000’s, cars could be any color as the state bought in fleet quainities. Dark blue was common, burgundy was also seen (usually assigned to troopers that admin wanted to make an example out of - no one liked them).

the plates are general issue. UTZ being common but there are plenty of variants. DMV cops have marked vehicles and their own plates - and there aren’t many of them.

current rides are Cantrol/core.

Back in the strobe days, troopers could add additional lights, but had to be seperate from thr insalled electrical system and they were responsible for any damage they did. The dash masters in strobe and halogen were popular.

officially is was discouraged but no one really cared.

we experimented with some of the traffic units with the built in arrow but never caught on. My capt attempted to have some competitor products used to try to get better pricing from Whelen but upper management said no.

CSP with the edge bars and up were always red on the driver and blue on the passenger.

CT use to be a blue light/emergency color state until the late 80’s or so, which is why you see the blue domes on the cross bar. Later versions had red/blue to the rear.

all the states north of CT are blue for LE, west and south red was the emergency color. In CT red is the only “emergency” color and red/white/blue is common for said vehicles, and blue used for VFF’s with no ROW rights.
It's strange b/c all agencies local and state used red exclusively until the 70s then some went all blue, red blue or stayed all red until the late 80s. CT had it all.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.