Connecting lights to a station siren/buzzer

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
Soooo were updating one of the rooms in my station and I've been tasked with updating and cleaning some of the old lights we have in it... Well while planning everything, I thought it would be a cool idea to hook the lights up to the stations buzzer/siren/whatever you want to call it... This way, everytime we get an alarm, the lights would go off for the duration of the buzzer being activated... However, this is where I need your guys help... How would I go about doing this? I know the lights I have are fairly old, so I'm going to have to create or buy some relay to change the amount of electricity going to the beacons... but what else will I need to do?

ResizedImage_1392180219617.jpg

ResizedImage_1392180228340.jpg

ResizedImage_1392180243379.jpg

ResizedImage_1392180254339.jpg

ResizedImage_1392180264624.jpg

ResizedImage_1392180274471.jpg

ResizedImage_1392180283633.jpg

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
FSEP said:
Soooo were updating one of the rooms in my station and I've been tasked with updating and cleaning some of the old lights we have in it... Well while planning everything, I thought it would be a cool idea to hook the lights up to the stations buzzer/siren/whatever you want to call it... This way, everytime we get an alarm, the lights would go off for the duration of the buzzer being activated... However, this is where I need your guys help... How would I go about doing this? I know the lights I have are fairly old, so I'm going to have to create or buy some relay to change the amount of electricity going to the beacons... but what else will I need to do?

Well, a relay is only part of it. Whatever activates your stating buzzer may already be hooked up to something you could tie into, possibly already a relay. You would most likely need an inverter to go from 120 VAC to 12 VDC. Would help if you know how your existing buzzer is set up/wired.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Zapp Brannigan said:
You would most likely need an inverter to go from 120 VAC to 12 VDC.

Do not use an inverter! An inverter takes DC as its input and creates AC as its output.

What you need is referred to as a power supply.

May 23, 2013
nc
i would like to do this as well, throw my old 184 beacon on top of the siren we have, its not hooked up at the moment, but would like to know how to make it do it, would be great as an alternative for night time calls, vs the loud siren,

might hook up my streethawk in control room and when the tones go off it will run a lil bit and what knot

i have yet to see anything setup like this unless someone has a video

would be awesome to see how its all hooked up, i love wiring things

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
This could go a couple of ways. If the station's buzzer is that, a buzzer, you need to know what voltage it is, usually 24 ac or 120 ac are the choices. Wire a correct relay coil across the buzzers terminals (parallel) and the relay's contacts will activate with the buzzer. If you are using a 120ac to 12dc converter power supply for the new load (light) I recommend using this relay to close the 120v circuit enabling the power supply to illuminate the light. This way the 120/12 power supply isn't always on, only when needed. This all needs to be done with extreme care as you are possibly mixing voltages and such in one enclosure. If your station's "buzzer" or "siren" is a speaker you're on your own, I have no idea how to trigger a relay from a speaker. Be careful, don't burn down the fire house comes to mind.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
shues said:
Do not use an inverter! An inverter takes DC as its input and creates AC as its output.

What you need is referred to as a power supply.

10-4, thank you for the clarification!

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
A lot of it will depend on what's already installed.... or what equipment you're getting your contact closure from... whether it be a radio, or an amp-charger base for a Minitor pager, etc...

This is a great resource I used to set up our station bell/strobe/PA system. Includes information on timing relays and even adding a tone generator and boosting the volume during pages, and lowering it during non-page audio. Pretty in depth.

We went pretty simple when I did the one at ours... it's a Minitor amplified charger. The pager is set to auto reset after tone-out, rather than remaining open. When the tones drop, the contact closure in the pager base trips two timed relays. The first is a relay which sends 12vDC to our house bell for the duration of the alert (3-4 seconds, usually). The second relay activates the strobe lights on our station speakers (fire alarm system strobe/speaker ceiling mount) for about 10 seconds. The word "FIRE" was replaced with "ALERT" to avoid confusion of the strobe.

Our audio for the page is sent to the speakers, and gradually ramps up during the alert phase of the tone out.

All in all... not a bad little system for a weekend project. We also included another set of relay contacts to turn on bunkroom lights and hallway lighting if we choose to have a staffed crew in the future. Those would trigger the lighting contactor in the appropriate rooms and activate the lights for 90-120 seconds.

Fire Station Alerting System Design

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.