Connecting phone audio to siren experiment

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
So I got bored last night and tried something I have been wanting to do for a while.
I took an audio patch cable like used to connect your phone or MP3 player to an aux input on a stereo. Cut one end off, and ohmed out the connections.

then soldered up a pigtail wire big enough to work with.

I have an app on my phone that has a really good imitation of a Q siren. I connected it up to the Radio inputs on my Carson siren. My hope was that I could switch the siren to RADIO rebroadcast and have something cool.

Well, it sort of works. Problem is the volume is pretty low, even with both the phone volume and the siren Radio volume cranked all the way up.

Any suggestions? I can hold the PA mic close to the phone's speaker and it actually sounds OK. I wonder if I could hook up my cable to the Microphone's wiring, would that work?

Bob

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
I'm not sure if it survived the last 2 board upgrades but there was a thread on this... I can't check easily on mobile so I remind myself to do so at work tommorow

Tony P

Sep 13, 2015
Midwest, USA
If you are planning on doing this just for fun, fine. If you are planning on using this for responses, this thread will be deleted.

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
If you are planning on doing this just for fun, fine. If you are planning on using this for responses, this thread will be deleted.

As I said, i was screwing around.

Rest assured, as a 3rd generation firefighter, who witnessed a brother firefighter die in front of my eyes due to an accident during a response, I fully appreciate the gravity of proper LEGAL warning systems.

If you feel this should be deleted, by all means do so and i will not say a word.

This website really is a wealth of knowledge, and a good way for folks to share a common interest.

Bob Pollard
NCFD-1

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
But for the good old days, when everyone with a CB radio also had a PA speaker under the hood, and if you bought a "siren module" to run off a "transistor radio speaker" with a 9V battery, you were cool.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I dunno... if it were me and I wanted an authentic mechanical siren sound without the current draw of a Q, I'd look for a Federal model 28.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.