Console Faceplate Improvement / Modification

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
The story behind this is simple. I was not happy with the way a Havis faceplate would bow whenever I pushed a switch or inserted/removed a cigar plug. It felt as though with repeated use, I was quickly going to damage the panel. In looking at the seven switch panel that Havis has, they combat this by adding a curve on the top and bottom of it.

ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p247_ct_bigcat_HAVISSEVEN_zps8520ffe8.jpg

So I added them to my panel by simply using small aluminum angle iron and 3M double sided tape.

ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p247_ct_bigcat_P10509711_zpsfde18d06.jpg

I marked out on the angle iron where pieces would have to be removed in order for the switches and 12v outlets to sit where they needed to, and cut it with a dremel. I didn't get too crazy with making it pretty because when the panel is mounted, the modification is not visible at all.

ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p247_ct_bigcat_P1050622_zps8f0b390c.jpg

ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p247_ct_bigcat_P1050623_zps61359aff.jpg

ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p247_ct_bigcat_P1050621_zps65fbd9a9.jpg

ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p247_ct_bigcat_P1050620_zps8bb8d88a.jpg

The panel is now solid as a rock and looks completely stock from the front. The 3M double sided tape is the grey version (heavy duty). I've used it in many applications before and it holds tight, no problem.

Anyone else have any console modification / improvements to share?

kb4mdz

Aug 22, 2010
Cary, NC
Why not a thin layer of a good epoxy, like JB Weld or something between the metals, instead of the double sided tape? I mean, the gray 3M tape is great stuff, but it still has some flex to it; plus it separates the metal pieces. A good setting adhesive would make the pieces almost like one.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
or just have it welded

cook2890

Sep 27, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
I would epoxy, since welding it would burn the coating off of the faceplate itself. If Havis were to weld it before it was coated or you have the ability to match the finish go for it!

gallagher073

Jan 21, 2011
Western Connecticut
Jarred J. said:
or just have it welded

I'm not the best welder but I have welded small pieces of aluminum like this in the past. Problem is that sometimes the paint on the other side bubbles or the metal becomes slightly deformed. It is more likely in this case as the aluminum is very small, you run the risk of screwing up the plate and having to buy another one, or spend a lot of time re-finishing and repainting.

I'll be trying this mod on my plate next week, I think I'll use the 3M VHB double sided tape like the OP did, or maybe some JB weld for some more feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
No doubt there are probably a few ways to secure the pieces together but I went with the double sided tape because that is what I had available. The aluminum angle iron is secured with a continuous piece of tape and the panel is solid as a rock. There is zero flex resulting from the use of tape vs. something else.

This is a a simple mod for the common man. If you want to get more technical with it, you can.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
you can always turn down the power on the welder and do minimally evasive damage to the paint. thats why most welders are adjustable....

May 22, 2010
Bauxite Arkansas
How about a set of 3 pop rivets, left, right, & center. No welding to damage paint, no sticky tape to loose stickiness, and is a good solid permanent mount.

Craig

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.