Controlling Omega 90 amps

action

Jun 14, 2010
LA
Its time for me to get a new unit so I am trying to put all my equipment together for installation. I have a question regarding the Unitrol Omega 90 amps. I have been able to lay my hands on a few of these. My question is can these be controlled with standard rocker switches such as carling switches or must I use the huge Omega 9000 controller that came with the amps?

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
Well Unitrol has 3 different switches you can use to control the amps. Two of them, the 3000 and 5000 controllers, are very small and can fit absolutely anywhere. I suggest going with a 5000 controller.

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
gman021 said:
Well Unitrol has 3 different switches you can use to control the amps. Two of them, the 3000 and 5000 controllers, are very small and can fit absolutely anywhere. I suggest going with a 5000 controller.

Whats the Third?

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
action said:
Its time for me to get a new unit so I am trying to put all my equipment together for installation. I have a question regarding the Unitrol Omega 90 amps. I have been able to lay my hands on a few of these. My question is can these be controlled with standard rocker switches such as carling switches or must I use the huge Omega 9000 controller that came with the amps?

To answer you inital question, yes they can be controlled by just switches... I have a CenCom Gold... dual toned with an Omega 90... Love it!!

I'm actually pulling the CenCom Gold... and going for a lower profile install and will be running dual Omega 90's off a WIRED HDH switch panel...

Sean here on the board SV Modules I believe is his screen name makes all the cables for direct wire... I recommend buying a cable from him. Great quality and reasonable pricing...

Seth

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
C17LVFD said:
Sean here on the board SV Modules I believe is his screen name makes all the cables for direct wire... I recommend buying a cable from him. Great quality and reasonable pricing...

Seth

Almost, its EVModules. And if you want the rocker switch Unitrol makes, its the 3000

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
gman021 said:
Almost, its EVModules. And if you want the rocker switch Unitrol makes, its the 3000

Gman... Thanks!! I didn't think it looked quite right... but I've been up for 36 and not thinking on all 8 cylinders... lol

Thanks again!

Seth

cajunblitz

May 20, 2010
Saint Martin Parish LA
ffjwhite said:
Whats the Third?

Actually, they make/made more than three.

UM650 Motorcycle switch adaptor

UM3000 Undercover toggle switch siren/light controller

UM3500 Undercover Rotary Knob siren/light controller

UM5000 Panel mount siren/PA controller

UM6000 Siren/light/PA controller

UM8000 Siren/light/PA controller with 8 on/off switches

UM8001 Siren/light/PA controller with 7 on/off and 1 momentary switch

UM8003 Siren/light/PA controller with 5 on/off and 3 momentary switches

UM8101 Siren/light/PA controller with Maintained Blackout, 7 on/off switches, and 1 momentary switch

UM8102 Siren/light/PA controller with Maintained Blackout, 6 on/off switches, and 2 momentary switches

UM9000 Warning light controller with customized accessory switches

UM9200 Siren/light/PA controller with customized accessory switches

SoloRTP

May 22, 2011
NV, USA
action said:

I think the Unitrol site has the Installation Manual in a .pdf file.

Here are the pinouts with my notes for a planned install on a BMW R1150 RTP:

1 Choice (+12V)

2 Park Kill (GND)

3 Air Horn (+12V or -, SW1 is through 200 Ohm 1W to gnd)

4 MAN (+12V or -, SW1 is through 200 Ohm 1W to gnd)

5 Audio (PA MIC Hi, Radio Hi K7)

6 Audio (PA MIC Lo, Radio Lo K7)

7 Mic (jump to 6 through K7 PA/Radio rly)

8 Shield / GND

9 Vol (+12V through SW6 VOL/TST)

10 Bias (+12V from RAD sw, pulls in K7 to Radio)

11 Sweep (+12V)

12 Wail (+12V)

13 Yelp (+12V)

14 PTT (GND?)

dcsru

Mar 27, 2011
USA/VA
Kinda alone the same line of questions....... I want the "sweep" tone. Would it be possible to hook up an Omega 90 amp as a second siren and speaker combo to a SS2000 and get the sweep function at the push of a single aux button on the Smart Siren control head??

Inthefuture

Dec 31, 2018
New England

Hi,

No, the Omega 90 Amplifier generates all tones internally. The Controllers are simply that, so any switches that feed +12 volts to the appropriate pins to enable the selected sound/function (Radio/PA). To use custom switches, either use an existing control cable (requiring the removal of one end) or create a custom cable or socket. It appears that the connector is a 14 (2x7) pin 2.54 mm insulation displacement (IDC) header type. I recently purchased an Omega 90 Amplifier and Omega 8000 Controller and confirmed operation of each. I will post additional information about the connector type as I discover it.

One thing I discovered was that the amplifier may power up in MAN (Wail) if +12 volts is not applied to KILL (Pin 2) when power is applied. (I did not have the controller connected to the amplifier the first time I powered it up, thus this surprise.)

Though I now have an Omega 8000, I plan to use a wireless 433 MHz 4 channel (A/H, Wail, Yelp, Ultra High/Low) remote control for permanent use (no need to run wiring to the front console). If all 4 relays are unpowered, +12 volts will be applied to KILL (Pin 2).

Wiring:
Relay 1: (Tone priority 1)
+12 volts to Common
Normally Open to A/H (Pin 3)
Normally Closed to Common on

Relay 2: (Tone priority 2)
Normally Open to Wail (Pin 12)

Relay 3: (Tone priority 3)
Normally Open to Yelp (Pin 13)

Relay 4: (Tone priority 4)
Normally Open to CHC (Pin 1)
Normally Closed to KILL (Pin 2)

With the above, assigning the tones to the relays, determines tone priority.

I set the remote control for momentary for Relay 1 and latching for the other 3.

I use a separate relay wired to the dome lights the feed +12 volts to KILL (rather than wiring to the Park/Neutral Safety Switch to silence the amplifier when a door is open.

I hope that this information gives you some ideas into how to create custom switching for your Omega 90.

Bruce

Attachments

• Omega 90 Amplifier Installation Manual.pdf
    373 KB · Views: 22
  • Omega 8000 Controller Installation Manual.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Inthefuture

Dec 31, 2018
New England
Updates:

1.) In reviewing the Omega 8000 wiring diagram, it shows that functions are activated by grounding the appropriate pin, though in my initial testing, I applied +12 volts to the appropriate pins and the amplifier functioned correctly. I updated my relay plan accordingly. (Ground to Common of Relay 1.) I want to insure that the unit is controlled in the same way that the Unitrol Controllers control it.

2.) I've ordered Dupont 2x7 2.54mm connector pins and bodies to use to make my own cables. I'll post an update once I've had an opportunity to see how well the Connectors work.

Bruce

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
1.) In reviewing the Omega 8000 wiring diagram, it shows that functions are activated by grounding the appropriate pin, though in my initial testing, I applied +12 volts to the appropriate pins and the amplifier functioned correctly.

Take another look at the diagram. The 8000 controller applies +12V to activate the to siren tones.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.