Controlling Smart Bars with SSP3000 Control Head?

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Recently got a Legend on the bay for a good price. Insanely low shipping to Canada, so I jumped on it. CPD bar. Didn't have a serial control module. Looked up a thread here about which one I need and lucked out and got one from the bay. It's model 8583469B. I'm hoping that it's the right controller, otherwise I'll have to get another.

I also got an SSP3000 control head (software version SSP3K_CH1101). I was hoping to use this instead of the six button controller.

Is there any way to use just the control head to control the bar or do I need a full Platinum system or failing that, an earlier SmartSiren model or just switches or a simpler siren/controller? If all else failed, I was going to use a Mastercom B for an accurate CPD setup.

Any help would be much appreciated!

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the help! Looks like I'll have to shell out a few bucks at some point for an SSP system to get the most out of the bar from Convergence. Also getting a Valor soon, so I think that an SSP will be a must at some point! Definitely want to unlock the full potential of the bars!

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Perfect! Thanks again! I wasn't sure about prices because its a newer system. Figured that the amps would be $300+.

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
My CPD Legend Checklist lists

#8583446-CPD Interface Module (8583469) w/ custom cable and instruction sheet

Would the interface module that I have still function properly or should I be looking for the exact model that a CPD bar or a Legend used? I'm not necessarily looking for an exact CPD clone until I find the proper module.

The module that I have was from an Arjent S2, IIRC.

What were the main differences between the standard cable and custom CPD one?

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I am still on the hunt for the interference module and cable myself, but I suppose the CPD cable and interface module would include provisions for brake lights and turn signals.

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Ahh you're killing me here! I'm getting a 51" r/w Spectralux Valor delivered in Jan. Got it for stupidly cheap. Never even mounted on a vehicle. Buyer bought it and then never fielded it.

Still would rather have r/b with r/b/a on the back. R/w just isn't quite the same. Not complaining, but the Valor's flash patterns look best in r/b imo.

EDIT: OK. Looked at your listing. Crazy good price! Problem is that I'd pay a FORTUNE shipping to Canada! I'd pay more in shipping than what I'd have spent on the bar. It'd have to be shipped on a palate. Need to find that winning lotto ticket asap!

Last edited:

Extra-Stock

Oct 24, 2019
Phoenix, az
I agree our local fire departments use RW but went full savage with RB/W My opinion it makes a huge difference With blue. The type of blue and red they used with these bars are unique compared to Whelen.

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Yep, they've switched all emergency services over to r/b or are starting to. Up until 2009 or so, even LE ran r/r where I am (Ontario). Rest of the country was r/b.

Agreed 100% on these bars having a different shade of red and blue vs Whelen. I prefer the FS Solaris blue over Whelen's. I find that it stands out a lot more. Same for the red. Not saying that Whelen or any of the other major companies' reds and blues don't, but FS did a nice job with theirs.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.