Converting fire trucks turn signals to LED.

May 22, 2010
Bauxite Arkansas
Has anyone found any direct swaps or had any luck converting these lights to LED?

awww.taillightking.com_images_31_53GMTruck_53_GuideR8_53_BusArrowAmberLensandChromeTrim.jpg

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
firefighter_2000 said:
Has anyone found any direct swaps or had any luck converting these lights to LED?

awww.taillightking.com_images_31_53GMTruck_53_GuideR8_53_BusArrowAmberLensandChromeTrim.jpg
Have you examined the light fixtures for a manufacturer's name or part number or similar info? I see what looks like something stamped in the metal frame but can't make it out. Since you have the lights there, how about helping us a bit by giving more detailed info about what you have there.

I have already waded through the Peterson and Grote catalogs without finding anything similar.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
I did a little more Googling for you.. (hint, hint)

Those are most likely GUIDE-R8-53 turn signal fixtures. They were used on Flxible trucks and buses and may have also been a GMC product. There were a number of different configurations; s/t/t in red, red with the word STOP stenciled on the lens, amber, etc. At any rate, they are very old, probably at least 40 years or more. I found a lot of references to them being used on '50's and '60's vehicles. I didn't find any matching LED upgrade products so I am guessing your only option would be to either find the best LED bulb replacements that you can OR look into one of the Whelen (or similar) products that is large enough to cover the existing holes. Petersen has a lot of LED stuff for buses and RV's that would probably work for you, too.

May 22, 2010
Bauxite Arkansas
Have a department wanting to upgrade their front and rear turn signals and tail lights to LED. These particular ones are in the 25 year old neighborhood, and the reflective coating is essentially gone. They are the guide mentioned above. About the only thing I've thought of is trying an LED bulb in the housing.

Thanks for the input.

Craig

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
Those aren't so classic we have them on our 93 pierce arrow rescue as turn and brake lights if you polish them they look really good. Die to the size you would have to use a 900 series to cover all the holes. Me personally I would look for led bulbs for them and keep the factory look

thefiredogg

May 21, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
have these on my 80 ALF. I want to do the leds too, interested to see how this works for you. Ive had issues with the sockets rusting out and the chrome finish on the inside has had it. I would like to keep the classic look as well.

May 22, 2010
Bauxite Arkansas
\ said:
have these on my 80 ALF. I want to do the leds too' date=' interested to see how this works for you. Ive had issues with the sockets rusting out and the chrome finish on the inside has had it. I would like to keep the classic look as well.[/quote']

That's the problem with these. The lenses cleaned up nice, but the reflectors and sockets are still in poor shape. Mat have to cover over with some 900s.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Might sound cheap but it might do the trick. Clean em up good and prep them good, mask it off and spray them with some chrome spray paint.

Bogie

Jan 19, 2012
Queens,NY
You can also use a smaller light head that fits in better with the look of the truck just get some steel (stainless preferred) to attach to the inside of the previous hole with some button head screws then attach the new light head to that.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
firefighter_2000 said:
That's the problem with these. The lenses cleaned up nice, but the reflectors and sockets are still in poor shape. Mat have to cover over with some 900s.
Hey, I found you a pair of NOS fixtures! Only $162 including shipping! What a deal. Guide R8 53 Arrow Turn Signal Lights | eBay

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
firefighter_2000 said:
I remember seeing this now. Thanks for the reminder. I may give this as a proposal.

And at approx $65/lighthead, probably the most cost effectiveefficient!! That, and it can double as warning if so desired (although may add to confusion, but just a thought).

Bogie

Jan 19, 2012
Queens,NY
The issue with using a HAW in these at least the ones my Dept had is that there not one big open reflector its divider into I believe 3 sections with two on either side of the center arrow using separate bulbs.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.