Converting halogen scene lights to LED

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
We have 2 E-one engines that recently got new paint jobs so I've been tasked with updating/upgrading all the warning lights as well as the scene lighting. Currently, we have 6 scene halogen scene lights that are powered from the on board generator. Knowing all the new LED scene lights are 12v (I'm assuming), how do I go from the 120v halogen scene lights to the LED lights? I've never done that kind of conversion before so any help would be appreciated.

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
I have swapped them before, pretty straight forward. Are they body mounted or on poles? Easiest way is to get the same voltage rather than trying to go from 120v to 12v. On a side note if the trucks have 900 series scene lights, they are more than enough light and people forget about the generator lights.

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
You don't have to run a new harness through the body to convert to 12v. Firetech makes scene lights that come with power supplies which convert the 120v AC to 12v DC. You could also just get a 120v AC to 12v DC power supply separately or buy one from somewhere else. You would have to make sure you get the right one though and figure out a way to mount the power supplies. The Firetech ones have a bracket built into the mount.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.