Converting LC Edge Freedom to WC

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I have an Edge Freedom and want to convert it to WeCan. I was supposed to have been sold WC version of the same bar, but the seller either didn't know or didn't care. Is what it is. At least it was cheap. It has an Opticom emitter w/ a 400 Series strobe with t/ds and a T/A function. It also has a decent sized photovoltaic panel on top. Is this just for the automatic day/night high/low output control?

What's involved in swapping out the low current I/O board for a WeCan one? Is it a matter of just swapping the boards and connecting the lightheads to the board or is more involved?

I'll be replacing the lightheads to linear for cosmetic reasons. It'd be pretty cool to have a WC Edge Freedom with linear 400 Series with a couple of split inboards and maybe replacing the rear lightheads with split a/b and r/a instead of solid or one amber at each end before the corners instead of split rears. Can't remember, but are split corners available? That'd be a nice finishing touch!

Shifty off-board seller is costing me more money but at least giving me a little project for the lousy weather here! That list's growing and no complaints here! On winter those weekends where it's close to -40, I reckon I'll stay in, cook some stew, chili or something w/ gravy and work on bars. Who wouldn't?! It'll drive the missus crazy, but she can go shovel snow if it's so annoying ;)!

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
Hi:
- the photovoltaic top as I understand was just meant to feed juice to the automobile's battery to offset any bleed from connected electrical equipment (i.e. carefree maintenance).

- If the "shifty off-board seller" happened to be an eBayer and the price of your LB was $290, I got mine from the same source. I asked him plenty of questions and he tried his best to be helpful but it was pretty clear he just didn't know this stuff. I don't can't fault him for that.
I hoped the LB would show up B-LINK - instead, it showed up WeCan (and I've had a blast tinkering with it ever since).

- Attached is a pic of the LB and I/O board part #. I've substituted B/A modules in a couple of instances. I can tell you this is _not_ a "DUO" bar...there seemed to be just a few extra unconnected outputs which I used for the "A" in the B/A modules I dropped in. There don't appear to be many more extra outputs kickin around in there.

Hope this helps,
-KH

Attachments

• freio.png
    freio.png
    519.8 KB · Views: 8

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Hi:
- the photovoltaic top as I understand was just meant to feed juice to the automobile's battery to offset any bleed from connected electrical equipment (i.e. carefree maintenance).

- If the "shifty off-board seller" happened to be an eBayer and the price of your LB was $290, I got mine from the same source. I asked him plenty of questions and he tried his best to be helpful but it was pretty clear he just didn't know this stuff. I don't can't fault him for that.
I hoped the LB would show up B-LINK - instead, it showed up WeCan (and I've had a blast tinkering with it ever since).

- Attached is a pic of the LB and I/O board part #. I've substituted B/A modules in a couple of instances. I can tell you this is _not_ a "DUO" bar...there seemed to be just a few extra unconnected outputs which I used for the "A" in the B/A modules I dropped in. There don't appear to be many more extra outputs kickin around in there.

Hope this helps,
-KH

Hi KH,

I know the seller that you're referring to based on the price of the bar and the model that you got. With mine, the Opticom emitter setup is a bit different and has LR11 t/ds , IIRC. It's been 7 mos since I've seen the bar; moved across the province and haven't got my whole collection up yet. He and I are in touch pretty often and I get some pretty good deals for various things. He's older and very much a Code 3 fan, but also a pretty good guy. The guy that I got mine from is in the same region of AZ. I got mine for $200 IIRC and he'd set up a quick listing and sent me the link once it was up. He wasn't listing these bars. He had a lot of Excaliburs and other random Code 3 stuff and other neat odds and sods. Motorola Syntor siren amps, cables and controllers (all sold separately, of course) come to mind as well as a 1960s Motorola base station. He didn't know his stuff, BUT he sent me several photos of the bar that I was supposed to be getting, claiming that he had only two and that a buddy picked up the other. The photos were of the bar "as it was being boxed". Photos were all of a WC bar identical to yours. Explained to him what WC is with a lot of photos of modules to boot. He finds a WC module _after_ the fact. Always trying to sell me Code 3 stuff that I didn't want and went dark shortly after the sale, comms wise. Should've just grabbed an Excalibur, in retrospect.

Anyways, I can get a bar like yours, but I'd prefer to try and save a few bucks (shipping and duty!) and need a project, so a conversion comes to mind.

Thank you for the photo w/ the part number. Now the name of the game is getting the parts, but I reckon that's where the other fella could be helpful. He just has to have some patience in removing that I/O board.

I'd still rather get everything on the boards, that's for sure! Ebay is becoming even worse, no secret there. Was going to grab a b/b Tomar Scorpion and after ages of it being up, ebay pulled it (and tons of other warning equipment listings). Leave it to pinheads to ruin a good thing.

But yes, this project won't be over until it's over!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.