Cool, interesting, odd etc Fire/EMS vehicles -locked due to new section

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonanno

May 21, 2010
Neptune, NJ
My squad has one of those!!! We LOVE IT! it was the only thing that didn't get stuck and could transport during our blizzard this past year. It works off road, on road, on the beach, and in the snow. We use it for snow, beach, and special events. Its awesome and event as AC/Heat, and Lights/sirens (carson siren, D8 up front, 2x Tir 3 each side of box, 2x tir 3 rear, left/right/rear scene lights), Generator as well.

OTFD211

May 24, 2010
Cleveland,Oh
RescueWV said:
[Broken External Image]:http://www.penncare.net/Portals/0/Ambulances/Penn-Care-Recent-Deliveries-Monongalia-EMS-30.jpg

This is my county's new EMS rig. They're the primary EMS service for the entire county, and are also responsible for rescue although I've never quite been clear on which areas/parts of the county they ARE responsible for rescue for and which they aren't, and some firefighters I know say that they think they're responsible for areas that they very clearly aren't, but that's neither here nor there.

Rather than having to send both an ambulance and the rescue truck to accidents, they dispatch this beast which from what I understand carries the basics for vehicle rescue and then can request additional ambulances or the actual rescue truck as needed.

More pictures here.

That chassis is the same one I wanted when I spec'd our unit last year but chief shot me down. He liked it in theory but couldn't justify additional $. We bought our new rig from same dealer.

wa1emt

Apr 26, 2011
USA Houston Texas
AMR does do emergency calls and 911..sorry to burst your bubble..as I work for them.

DaCityPolice said:
AMR handles private contracts for nursing homes, large events, non-emergency transports, etc. They would NEVER respond for emergency calls. And most DCFD ambulances are all LED except for the forward center halogen. The pictured ambulance is a reserve unit that is only used when the regular ones break down.

I definitely agree with others that they need more lighting--they can't get through traffic for anything!

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
While I'm going to weaken my argument by saying that I can't think of any examples off the top of my head... I know that there are some "major" cities that AMR actually contracts with the city to provide 911 EMS. Really, their business model is all over the place, they provide extremely varied levels of service in different areas, so you can't just say that "AMR doesn't do 911" or "AMR doesn't do transports" because it's different office by office.

cory y

May 21, 2010
AMR also has 911 service in Arlington, Texas the home of the Cowboys and the Rangers and the 3rd biggest city in DFW

Bikinjohn

Jul 22, 2010
USA Nevada
AMR & Medic West both operate here in th Metro area of Clark County. They respond to calls for service in Las Vegas and North Las Vegas. In Henderson they're used for non-priority stuff like hospital transfers and such.

There's been drama in the news about them not meeting their 12min response times (which was extended from 9min). You hardly ever see a CCFD or LVFR ambulace at the hospital because AMR does the transports from the scene. Also NLVFD and AMR were having a spat because NLVFD wanted to do their own transports for critical patients to make money.

There's a website about it somewhere from the fire unions. And they even saythe AMR medics are good, it's the company that's stretching them thin and trying to make the most money with the least cost.

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
AMR definitely does do emergency response in large urban areas, they are the only emergency response/transport ambulance in Colorado Springs (Pop 450,000), and Pueblo (Pop 120,000). Sole as in there is no other ambulance, not FD or private. Both of these cities dispatch a Fire unit with AMR to all medicals. In addition to a FD and AMR unit, Pueblo also sends 2 PD cars to every medical call at night, and about half of daytime medical calls depending on the type/caller. CO Springs only sends PD if its a Police matter as well, or if they are requested by Fire/AMR.

AMR's response time is better than the FD in about 85% of calls, day or night, despite having less units than the FD has stations. PD beats both about 90% of the time, the 10% being because they won't dispatch PD unless they have 2 cars available, so until then the call holds.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
what type of lightbar is on the back of that yellow ambulance van.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Station 3 said:
what type of lightbar is on the back of that yellow ambulance van.

4500 flush mount whelen

MJDNRP-6885

Jul 25, 2010
Germantown Hills, IL
1960 era Chicago Fd Turret Unit "Big John" Unit Number 6-7-3; "Big Mo" 6-7-2 was it's twin.

Both units were equipped with two (2), hydraulically boom mounted Fire boat deluge turrets and 2 smaller front bumper mounted deck guns.

All deluge guns were tied to thirty-two (32) two and a half inch (2 1/2") inlets. Originally mounted on deuce and a half's in the 60's, there were later re-mounted on 5-tons in the 1970's.

Maximum water flow was 8000/gpm and could shoot a stream out to 3 city blocks and up to 250' in the air.

Big John-1.jpg

Big John-2.jpg

Big John-3.jpg

Big John-4.jpg

Big John-5.jpg

Big John--6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Lightbarnut

Jun 9, 2010
Palatka, Florida.
Those are not 2 1/2 ton trucks but 5 tons. You can tell a 5 ton by the way the front axle sits toward the front of the fender. "Duece and a half" front axles sit under the center of the fender.

MJDNRP-6885

Jul 25, 2010
Germantown Hills, IL
Lightbarnut said:
Those are not 2 1/2 ton trucks but 5 tons. You can tell a 5 ton by the way the front axle sits toward the front of the fender. "Duece and a half" front axles sit under the center of the fender.

I thought they were 5-tons, but the information that I was originally given and posted, was from a retired CFD FF friend of mine.

After doing some research, I found out that the guns were originally mounted on deuce and a half's in the 1960's and later re-mounted on 5-tons in the 1970's

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
philyumpshus said:
I agree with John, looks like a 4500 with six 400-series halogen flashers.

Agreed

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
FireEMSPolice said:
How about this AMC Gremlin EMS vehicle
:weird:

View attachment 11434

Hurst Performance marketed those as QRVs, equipped with a set of Jaws. They used to be located on Street Rd in Warminster, PA, across the street from NADC Warminster. I was stationed there in the early 70s. Hurst used to bring their prototype tools and powerpacs over to the base and cut up cars and an old F4 Phantom we had. Really neat...

Per Wikipedia: Between 1972 and 1974, Hurst Performance marketed "a highway safety vehicle" for emergency services,[51] as well as a compact alternative to trucks for motorsport race tracks.[52] The "Hurst Rescue System 1" was based on the AMC Gremlin and designed to quickly assist vehicle extrication of crash victims.[53] The vehicle came with the "Hurst Rescue Tool", commonly known as "The Jaws of Life", winch, stretcher, as well as firefighting and first aid supplies.[54] The vehicle also included push bumpers and a 25-gallon water tank. The price for this fully equipped rescue vehicle was between $11,000[55] to $13,000.[56]

e2kmaster

Nov 1, 2010
toronto
Zurich Airport Command Vehicle

some weird random Bangkok Pumper

sea rescue 4x4 seen in George South Africa run by volunteers

Chemical Plant Command Vehicle seen in Switzerland

EMS vehicle Switzerland

Duck like Aerial in Uster Switzerland

Bronto Aerial Zurich

Fire Train in Action nearby the Zurich Train Station

delivery of new aerials and pumper at zurichs south hall

033_resize.jpg

186.jpg

449X9763.jpg

ADP_0358.jpg

20070728_3601.jpg

ATP_7400.jpg

ATP_7413.jpg

ATP_7955.jpg

ATP_8199.jpg

ATP_7770.jpg

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
firefighter221 said:
Rare Fire Unit EMT Ambulance Stretched,widened & tall | eBay

1961 Dodge Superior ambulance

Never seen anything like this... "widened and tall"

Actually the year is 1974. It's a Superior model 61. We had one on my squad, only it was a Chevy. Very cool concept. They cut them right down the middle without altering the drive train, and then widened them by 14" (I think) and put a fiberglass top. The pic is our unit, but it had been painted ALF red when I was there.

19740300_10.jpg

gfpd26

May 21, 2010
Greenville, IL
crescentstar69 said:
Actually the year is 1974. It's a Superior model 61. We had one on my squad, only it was a Chevy. Very cool concept. They cut them right down the middle without altering the drive train, and then widened them by 14" (I think) and put a fiberglass top. The pic is our unit, but it had been painted ALF red when I was there.

My dad owned 3 of them back in the '80 when he had a private service... We always called the "Pregnant Guppies"

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Station 3 said:

That's just a guy in France showing off his lightbars. He's a member here i think...

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
cory y said:
AMR also has 911 service in Arlington, Texas the home of the Cowboys and the Rangers and the 3rd biggest city in DFW

You are correct, however, they suck. Arlington FD Paramedics do more stabilizing of patients than AMR.

911caddy

Mar 28, 2011
Canada BC
A classic Ambulance made by Superior Coach. These "Fat Alberts" as they were called in this part of the world.. were widened 14 inches without alterning the chassis. Is this one for sale?

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
911caddy said:
A classic Ambulance made by Superior Coach. These "Fat Alberts" as they were called in this part of the world.. were widened 14 inches without alterning the chassis. Is this one for sale?

The Dodge in the earlier post has been listed on E-Bay multiple times. It never seems to sell. I have watched it at least 4 times.

triton911bj

May 24, 2010
Springville, PA

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
One of the 2 state Ambulance agencies near me, this is the Canberra agency:

Top to bottom:

1.New livery on a T1N Sprinter on the left, complete with poly "bullbar" with the previous livery on the right. BOTH vehicles still in service, the older unit is a 1999 model!

2.Old livery 4wd Ambulance. This vehicle has only been recently replaced, iirc this particular vehicle was 10 years old

3/4 Current Sprinter showing the revised livery. VERY effective, sadly imho the lighting package is less so. The round light on the front fender, the light between the doors and the 2 mid point lights on the roof are steady burn and pretty much usless. On the other hand, it does have HLF on the highbeam WITH the driving lights I found out the other day and,white, halogen oscilators on the lightbar.

080509103042_New-vs-Old-ACT_Intensive_Care_Ambulances-www.ambulancevisibility.com-John_Killeen.jpg

080509110402_ACT_Intensive_Care_4WD_Ambulance-www.ambulancevisibility.com-John_Killeen.jpg

080718042159_ACT_Ambulance-Intensive_Care_Paramedic-High_Visibility-Fluorescent_reflective_315_S.jpg

080718042159_ACT_Ambulance-Intensive_Care_Paramedic-High_Visibility-Reflective_side_315_Sprinter.jpg

chris_m

Feb 9, 2011
England, UK
Some of my photos:

Ambulance/EMS:

A shot outside my Local A&E (ER) on a busy day.

5330730661_e3bd0290ea_b_d.jpg

A localish ambulance station (its a hub thats why there is a few) same trust as the photo above the first truck in the shot is the older style but there are some new ones in there too.

4531650494_682eda4de2_b_d.jpg

another shot from the same place:

4531038935_4fa1162a67_b_d.jpg

A rapid response vehicle from the Yorkshire Ambulance Service these are kitted with most of the kit you would find one a normal ambulance (apart from the patient handling stuff) and one crew:

4867461448_46646f391c_b_d.jpg

A Rapid Response Vehicle used by The London Air Ambulance (HEMS) for use at night and other times when the helicopter can't lift or if its on another job:

5497148392_b089e9b23b_b_d.jpg

FIRE:

4815964553_1e9d939062_b_d.jpg

4816591714_58902a721e_b_d.jpg

4449159162_16896b60b0_b_d.jpg

4530769784_d63b63b1a0_b_d.jpg

4530171883_06fb543a96_b_d.jpg

5789632215_17fd4b06d9_b_d.jpg

cook2890

Sep 27, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
Chris_m, I love those fire truck pics! I personally like the tanker (tender) in the 3rd pic down, simply beautiful IMO!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.