Cool, interesting, odd etc Fire/EMS vehicles -locked due to new section

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
shues said:
I agree. I've seen a few trucks at FDIC with lights just like those that were specifically for tank water level. However, perhaps the specific purpose of those lights varies from region to region.

The ones on the trucks housed in the bay where I work are tank water level..... that's not to say they aren't for something else on other trucks.

Tank Level guages - Firehouse Forums - Firefighting Discussion

Multi-colored lights on cab - Firehouse Forums - Firefighting Discussion

Lightbarnut

Jun 9, 2010
Palatka, Florida.
My understanding has been that tank level indicators that big were for the guys on the end of the hose line at the fire or house to be able to see how much water they had left from a distance. There is a tanker that is a part of the Clay County Fire/Rescue here in Florida that is on a Freightliner FL-112 chassis that has 4 Code 3 550 Traffic Buster lights on the top of the tank in the corresponding tank level colors.

GTRider245

Jun 12, 2010
Georgia
They are tank level lights. And no they aren't overkill. More so with a top mount pump. The charged line indicator idea was pretty creative though.

gfpd26

May 21, 2010
Greenville, IL

triton911bj

May 24, 2010
Springville, PA
that looks awsome!!!!, i had the same concept for our 1977 Ward La France. PSU of course lol..some day

WE ARE!.........

runesson

Aug 6, 2011
Northern Europe
nerdly_dood said:
I agree. If they're gonna do it like that, do it more subtly on a SUV or a van, it looks ridiculous on a sedan.

Guess you americans aren´t used to this type of vehicle, but these are very effective and will outperform any american truck- or van-based ambulance. They used to have chevy-van based ambulances some decades ago, but they´ve all been outphased due to poor performance, reliability and fuel-economy. Not to hurt anyones feelings....

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
I've been involved with volunteer and paid EMS from 1976 - 2001, and I've never seen an ambulance like this before. It looks more liek a camper than an ambulance. Can anyone identify the maker?

1177949300.jpg

FEltjaked

May 21, 2010
New York
Tristar said:
I've been involved with volunteer and paid EMS from 1976 - 2001, and I've never seen an ambulance like this before. It looks more liek a camper than an ambulance. Can anyone identify the maker?

Im just curious where did you find this picture? and is this the Broad Channel VFD in NYC? I have always wondered about their history! Very interesting any info greatly appreciated!

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
FEltjaked said:
Im just curious where did you find this picture? and is this the Broad Channel VFD in NYC? I have always wondered about their history! Very interesting any info greatly appreciated!

Yes, it is the Broad Channel VFD in NYC; I found the photo on their website. Sorry, I don't have any info other than what you can find on their site.

theolog

Dec 27, 2010
North Carolina
btm757 said:
Frisco, Hatteras Island, NC

Chesapeake, Va

Have a happy time on the OBX, did ya? Frisco FD had (has?) a crazy looking pickup with a utility body and ground ladders mounted all over it, and Hatteras village used to have an E-One 4-wheel-drive mid-mount 55-foot ladder/squirt on a International Chassis. I can't find pics of either, but they're definitely worthy of this thread.

Phillyrube said:
Chesapeake Station 7...did you see the old C95 Mack squeezed into the left bay?

I LOVE that engine.

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
ai.imgur.com_gITlH.jpg

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
Ipuvaepe said:

Awesome! I love old rescue trucks! My Dad used to have a 1960 Ford Tilt-Cab rescue. I had a blast with that thing in high school. I learned to drive on that thing. :drooling:

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
There's one just like that in a junkyard outside town here. One of my older friends says that when he first moved to town ten years ago that it was still in beautiful condition (like this one). Unfortunately now it's seen a few too many motionless West Virginia winters in the yard...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.