Cool, interesting, odd etc Fire/EMS vehicles -locked due to new section

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasselber1

May 21, 2010
Prince Georges County Md
I cant remember the circumstances with the Jeep but I know that the Ford was "over ran" and trapped by the fire and the members had to abandon the brush buggy. County wide we also lost over a mile of hose and almost lost 2 other engines thru-out the day. Someone suggested we call for airdrops and smoke jumpers lol.

jasonefd19

Aug 5, 2010
USA Connecticut
Here is 2 pics of an Enfield, CT EMS rig. They purchased (3) 2009 and (1) 2010 Dodge 3500's from AEV. They are replacing well worn McCoy-Miller's that were white with a blue stripe.

IMAG0002%20(800x478).jpg

IMAG0004%20(800x478).jpg

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
Well, my internet connection is at like dial up speeds right now, or else I would have more pics of my SAR team's vehicles, but I'll tide everyone over with this one uploaded from my phone:

[Broken External Image]:http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...678445706254_9329598_79469556_1127172_ n.jpg

An older pic after we painted it but before everything else:

[Broken External Image]:http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...2719009369_1277545517_1628318_7006699_n.j pg

It's an '86 (I believe) ex-Army Chevy, used to be an EOD vehicle. It's GPSAR Unit 2009, but we usually call it "Jimmy", since all of our vehicles are named after dead rock stars (the command bus is Elvis...I should have a pic of that online too actually, let me look). This truck's pretty much my baby, though members have messed with it behind my back on some things....

For warning equipment, it's got:

-Code3 MX7000 R/C/R lenses, outboard rotators, inboard OsciLasers, and center rotator with red filter. Below it's got the alleys, intersectors, and then from L-R it has: r flasher, Priority Green Opticom Strobe, w flasher, w flasher, steady burn red, and r flasher.

-Whelen PAR36 strobes on a Whelen 2/40 power supply

-Sho-Me DXLT LED's (1 on each fender, 2 on each side, and 2 in the back). These were kinda just acquired and installed without my knowledge. At least they remembered what I said about putting lights on the fenders, though the rest of the placement could be better. The flash patterns are different too...I just haven't had the chance to try to figure out the wiring and sync it all up. I'm also trying to get more, especially for the rear....

-FedSig halogen arrow stick on the roof rack in the rear.

-Whelen WS-295 on a BP100 speaker, looking to put another one on the grille guard for 200W (or rather, 180W according to the manual, lol) of old school Whelen awesomeness!

Speaking of which.....here's a pseudo-response vid I did one night at training before the strobes were installed:

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Love the siren! (No, seriously, it is beyond awesome.)

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
ISU_Cyclone said:
Our new rescue is pretty cool and unique, so I'll add it to this thread. 2011 Pierce Quantum Chassis. Walk-thru cab with seating for 5 divers and 4 additional seats with SCBA.

ai634.photobucket.com_albums_uu64_BoondockSaint3100_TDFD_203176_DSCF0042.jpg

ai634.photobucket.com_albums_uu64_BoondockSaint3100_TDFD_203176_3176_10.jpg

ai634.photobucket.com_albums_uu64_BoondockSaint3100_TDFD_203176_DSCF0047.jpg

ai634.photobucket.com_albums_uu64_BoondockSaint3100_TDFD_203176_DSCF0048.jpg

ai634.photobucket.com_albums_uu64_BoondockSaint3100_TDFD_203176_DSCF0049.jpg

I love the looks of those Quantums. Very nice looking truck.

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
Doug said:
I am kinda diggin' the slow yelp...

I know, it kicks ass....

We tried to keep the warning equipment period-correct while still maintaining effectiveness. Fortunately, I was able to do so with the front....if you consider the MX7000 period correct for the late 80's, but at least it's a halogen rotator.....

I believe there's a WS-295 for sale on the board right now. Ours came with Phaser in place of Hi/Lo, I'm not sure if that was actually an option or if someone "hacked" it....

Lightbarnut

Jun 9, 2010
Palatka, Florida.
It's factory. I had a WS-295 that had Wail, Yelp, Hi-Lo, Phaser and Air Horn, believe it or not! :D I loved that siren but it self destructed somehow. The tones got all goofy soundin' and wouldn't work at all. I ended up pitching it. :( I'd love to find another one identical to it.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Well this sure does have a lot of lights...

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
nerdly_dood said:
Well this sure does have a lot of lights...

They take that KKK stuff seriously!!! :crazy: :)

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
rwo978 said:
They take that KKK stuff seriously!!! :crazy: :)

Actually while the number of lights is close to KKK specs, a lot of DCFD ambulances have non-complaint alternating flash patterns. The one above is complaint, but many aren't as shown below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PahGtmUjMuc

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
JohnMarcson said:
Actually while the number of lights is close to KKK specs, a lot of DCFD ambulances have non-complaint alternating flash patterns. The one above is complaint, but many aren't as shown below

I was just about to say that... :lol:

I think they oughta do something less profoundly ugly with the air conditioner intake on that one... Like stick a Model 14 on top of it and pretend that its primary purpose is as a mounting platform for the beacon.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
nerdly_dood said:
I was just about to say that... :lol:

I think they oughta do something less profoundly ugly with the air conditioner intake on that one... Like stick a Model 14 on top of it and pretend that its primary purpose is as a mounting platform for the beacon.

A model 14 would be soooooo cool up there. Don't get me wrong, I like these setups..... it's just funny to me that they are so into KKK setups but not patters.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Lightbarnut said:
I don't think any beacon would be able to mount up there because of the cooling fans for the air conditioner.

You'd have to run a separate bracket from the bottom. The fans are indeed on top.....We have these on the fronts of our internationals (they look smaller in bigger trucks) and I have always thought a mars light would look good hanging off them. There would be modifications required, but they would be usable starting point for a beacon mount.

Bonanno

May 21, 2010
Neptune, NJ
Looking on a NJ Firefigthing website found this gem. VERY odd, and unique, BUT looks like it works great for them

This apparatus has a 10-man HME cab, a Marion body, and a 115' SCHWING aerial that has 4 articulating booms. A distinguishing mark this apparatus has is that it is the first apparatus to be manufactured by SCHWING, America for a municipal fire department in the United States. It took 7 years to design this piece of equipment. It was delivered in 1997. This unit will reach out 73 feet horizontally at the third story level (41 feet). Due to its versatility, it will serve equally as well within our residential area by being able to set up on an 8% grade and in cramped conditions, operating with single side stabilization. Here are a few more pictures.

704002.jpg

704004.jpg

704003.jpg

ramdomfire60007.JPG

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
New Jersey tax dollars going to work. :D

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Bonanno said:
Looking on a NJ Firefigthing website found this gem. VERY odd, and unique, BUT looks like it works great for them

That thing looks huge! What's the overall height when driving down the road?

NJEMT

May 22, 2010
Essex County, NJ
looks like it could be 12 or 13 feet. Assuming that the ff standing next to it in the first pic is around 6' tall, 2 of them on top of each other and then +/- a foot.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Looks like they just got an old cherry picker from the local power company and painted it red...

ai.imgur.com_vpLSR.jpg

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
[Broken External Image]:http://www.penncare.net/Portals/0/Ambulances/Penn-Care-Recent-Deliveries-Monongalia-EMS-30.jpg

This is my county's new EMS rig. They're the primary EMS service for the entire county, and are also responsible for rescue although I've never quite been clear on which areas/parts of the county they ARE responsible for rescue for and which they aren't, and some firefighters I know say that they think they're responsible for areas that they very clearly aren't, but that's neither here nor there.

Rather than having to send both an ambulance and the rescue truck to accidents, they dispatch this beast which from what I understand carries the basics for vehicle rescue and then can request additional ambulances or the actual rescue truck as needed.

More pictures here.

rick h.

May 21, 2010
Green Bank WV.
RescueWV said:
[Broken External Image]:http://www.penncare.net/Portals/0/Ambulances/Penn-Care-Recent-Deliveries-Monongalia-EMS-30.jpg

This is my county's new EMS rig. They're the primary EMS service for the entire county, and are also responsible for rescue although I've never quite been clear on which areas/parts of the county they ARE responsible for rescue for and which they aren't, and some firefighters I know say that they think they're responsible for areas that they very clearly aren't, but that's neither here nor there.

Rather than having to send both an ambulance and the rescue truck to accidents, they dispatch this beast which from what I understand carries the basics for vehicle rescue and then can request additional ambulances or the actual rescue truck as needed.

More pictures here.
Welcome to the site. The next time I am in Morgantown I will have to check that out . different looking rig. I know Mon. CO. used to run as far as Wadestown back when I was on Hundred Fire/Rescue Dept.

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
Newberry13 said:
Since we've been getting a lot of cool vehicles in here lately, I'm bringing in an odd one. This is Del Norte Ambulance in northern California. They have these two odd balls and one normal truck.
View attachment 4366

One good thing has come from Obama owning Chrysler. That is: Mercedes is no longer a partner, and Dodge no longer has rights to the Sprinter! THANK GOD, because that mean that there will not be anymore of those damn Sprinter ambulances in my station! :celebrate: :woohoo:
Sprinters aren't that bad IF you spec them right, looking at those 2 I'd say they were just regular retail vans fitted out as an Ambulance. I've got 2 state Ambulance services near me that run Sprinters, actually pretty much all of Australia run nothing but Sprinters, one started off with retail vans adapted for the job. The other service sat down and specced them properly, reinforced bodyshells, rear airsuspension, uprated suspension and NO speedlimiters! BIG difference in the way the vans behaved, now Mercedes Australia will only order the special Ambulance versions for the various services.

Jun 25, 2010
Upstate NY
I took this video about five years ago. This is the (then) new ALS fly car with a university ambulance squad that I've volunteered with for going on six years. It is a 2005 Ford Expedition with a fairly nice Whelen light package.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.