County Paying For Firefighter To Fight Ticket For Fatal Cras

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Uh, not fully understanding this... Was the fire apparatus just starting the turn, or had it just completed the U turn and was starting to accelerate? From the reporting, it sounds like it was about to turn (slowing down) If it was just starting to slow down, is there a law in the US that states a vehicle that rear ends another is at fault (automatically) for the accident due to following too closely? (not taking into account that 500 feet fire apparatus rule)

RolnCode3

May 21, 2010
Sacramento, CA
unlisted said:
Uh, not fully understanding this... Was the fire apparatus just starting the turn, or had it just completed the U turn and was starting to accelerate? From the reporting, it sounds like it was about to turn (slowing down) If it was just starting to slow down, is there a law in the US that states a vehicle that rear ends another is at fault (automatically) for the accident due to following too closely? (not taking into account that 500 feet fire apparatus rule)
generally fault would be assigned in a rear end accident due to following too closely or unsafe speed for conditions. If you were far enough back you could avoid a stopped (or slowing) vehicle. The safe speed was 0, which if you hit another car you are exceeding. What the car infront is doing could contribute an also be illegal, but unless they back into the othe car, will not usually be at fault.

After watching the video and reading the article, I think there's a lot more info that would be needed to make a better determination. Was the engine stopped? Were the lights activated? Was the engine hit as it was slowing to make the turn, or accelerating from the u-turn? In the lane or on the shoulder? How long after it made the uturn was it hit (if it was after)? If before the turn, how long had it been slowing?

Another question that doesn't really go to fault, but could explain: was the driver elderly? The passenger was 88. Was the driver in that age bracket as well?

tcfd823

May 21, 2010
CENARK
I know where I live, we have a cut through as well.. But, in order to make the turn for the cut thru, we have slow to a near stop... We are only allowed to make the turn if our lights are activated. Now, If the driver of the engine was going to use the cut thru to respond to another call, im going to assume his lights were activated.. Also, Since the engine was rearended, im going to say that the Santa Fe was following too closely, or was driving way too fast. In any sate (as far as I know), if you rear end someone, its YOUR fault. And if you're in a fire truck, ambulance, police car and get rearended going to a call.. its YOUR fault.

With all of that being said, I believe the family of the 88 yr old woman that had died saw $$$$$$$$$$ after all of this stuff happend. As i recall, an officer in West Memphis Arkansas had shot at a suspect (who had drawn a weapon and was firing it at the officer). The officer, who was acting in self defence, shot the suspect, and as a result the suspect is now paralyzed. The suspect's mother sued the city for an ungodly ammount of money, and won. It is my opinion, that when shit like this happens, all people see is $$$$$$$$ and more often than not, they will see every. single. cent.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.