Covert Antenna Question

biggusjmanus

May 24, 2010
ON
Can anyone recommend good performing, reasonably priced covert antennae? I need them for a 2009 Camry and a 2010 Altima? They are for UHF (450-460 MHz) 35 to 50 watt mobiles.

I have done some homework already. Internal antennae are definitely out. I have not heard anything positive about glass mounts. I am curious about license plate antennae, but have heard mixed reviews. Neither car has an external antenna, so the types that convert or split between AM/FM/UHF are not feasible either. Does anyone have experience with the OEM look-alikes?

Thanks

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
I would just get a antenna that looks as stock ( I know your car is not equipped) as any other later model import car and mount it in a similar location I bet the general public wont pick it off .. another option is to mount an antenna inside the car on the back package tray, with the antenna protruding through the upholstery

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
+ 1 on the "stock look" antenna. Personally, I don't care how "safe" antenna manufacturers say those "interior" or "interior sticker" antennas are- I prefer all my RF outside of the vehicle cabin as much as possible.

My opinion.

joe p

May 21, 2010
Indianapolis, Indiana

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
medic550 said:
Larsen makes a UHF antenna thats a flat disc on a 3/4 mount. Like a hockey puck.

Frank

IMO, that is NOT covert, thats low profile. Covert = OEM looking, or not noticeable.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Ya, you could toss it on the rear deck, but than you got the RF all in the cabin again.. I'm pretty wary of that..

dcb

May 21, 2010
Lexington, Fayette Co, KY

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
I knew some folks who used to put a 1/4 wave UHF antenna on the back deck, and then just put a baseball cap over it to conceal it. Worked fine, but there's the whole "RF inside the cabin" issue if you're concerned.

Personally, I'd go with one of the AM/FM/UHF antennas mounted on the fender. You'd seriously have to be paying attention to realize that the other cars of the same model you see driving every day didn't have one.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.