Craiglist find - Federal Signal Visibar R/B used by Texas DPS.

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Went on a short road trip to get this today and found out when I go home it was used by Texas DPS. It did not have a speaker, but does have the bracket for the speaker. It has standard gutter mounts so it was used on a box body that had gutters. Works well, only one bulb is out but has a crack in one of the blue domes. Still a good deal for the price as these are not easy to find and may change it over to amber domes for my old military truck. I would rather use it over putting it on a display as it fits the time frame of my old CUCV trucks. Plus I think it looks really cool on the truck pictured and it is registered as a antique vehicle, so I would cover the lights when in transit to shows if I kept it R/B.

as95316603.onlinehome.us_ELB_IMG_6416.jpg

as95316603.onlinehome.us_ELB_IMG_6417.jpg

as95316603.onlinehome.us_ELB_IMG_6422.jpg

as95316603.onlinehome.us_ELB_IMG_6427.jpg

as95316603.onlinehome.us_ELB_IMG_6415.jpg

----

Update 09/20 @12pm CST

Installed & mounted to roof, still have to run the wiring to my switch box. Need to work out a relay switch to keep the load off the panel. Amber domes will be in Friday, I actually got a new pair of Federal Signal Model 14 lights that I will use. The lights are 24v, but that is fine as the truck is a 24v & 12v hybrid system. So I can run either a 12v or 24v light, so I may swap the whole beacons out with the model 14 as they are not chrome.

as95316603.onlinehome.us_ELB_505b01e8_1280.jpg

as95316603.onlinehome.us_ELB_505b024e_1280.jpg

---

Video

Last edited by a moderator:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Very nice find, indeed. Most unusual, too, as TX DPS didn't furnish lightbars themselves at the time, despite the ID tag I just saw. Until thelate '60, if Troopers wanted anything aside from the red spotlight and small underhood siren (usually a Fed. EG), they did so on their own. Could be this one was sold to the dept. when the trooper left. I use to see some unusual combinations when the troopers furnished their own lights, etc. When they first starting experimenting with the VisiBars, most had red domes and a small Federal WG siren in the center of the bar. They eventually went to red/blue and electronic sirens. I'm not sure when DPS started equipping the cruisers themselves, but they are using some very, very bright LED lightbars on their current vehicles.

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
Great find! I had a similar experience only my Twin Beacon Ray turned out to be a Minnesota State police lightbar. I love finding lights with property tags!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tommy_adams

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.