Cross Roto-Ray off the bucket list

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Beautiful. Do you have any history on this piece? Approximate age?
Thanks for sharing, it's stunning.

Reactions: southpaw

southpaw

May 7, 2015
South-West
Beautiful. Do you have any history on this piece? Approximate age?
Thanks for sharing, it's stunning.
The only history I have is that it came out of an auction from a collector that had passed away and had more than one Roto-Ray. I believe the auction was in PA. As to its age, I'm trying to determine that as best as can be done. It is 12 volt. I believe it was always 12 volt and not converted.

Last edited:

southpaw

May 7, 2015
South-West
Wouldnt it of been 6 volt if it was pre 1940?
In a conversation with some SPAAMFAA folks, it seems to be rather common for custom apparatus (Seagrave, ALF,Aherns-Fox, and the like) to be 12 volt, pre 1940 and even into the 1920's, while commercial chasis stayed 6 volt well into the 50's.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmb56

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
That's a work of art, no other way to put it. Absolutely stunning. I don't even know what to say. Me personally, I'd create a shrine to it. I've put the pictures on my phone. Now when I'm feeling down, I can look at pictures of my better half or that Roto-Ray for an instant morale boost.

Reactions: southpaw

Volvoboy

Dec 29, 2019
Greenville, NC
Really nice! I started out firefighting as a volunteer at McLean Volunteer Fire Department in Northern Virginia and all of our trucks had the Buckeye Roto-Rays. Loved them!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.