Crossing state lines

If each state has specific laws on type, colour and placement of lights on vehicles; then what happens when you drive a marked (or unmarked) vehicle across state lines to attend training, trade shows or official business? What happens if a Canadian vehicle does the same?

Bobcat; you're right, it's not like you would be driving around with them on.

I ask because I recently did some training with the ATF (they came up to Canada!) and during conversation this topic came up. When a department wants to send people down to The USA for training, most want you to drive a company car. Some fully marked, some not. On the flip side, a U.S. vehicle in Canada doesn't seem to be an issue at all... At least in Ontario.

Now... What about demo cars from SOS, Fed Sig and so on...??

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
i drive from PA where im a FF/EMT to MD,NY,VA and NJ frequently. Clear lenses help but even when I had colored lenses I never had an issue

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
I've never had issue driving my personal vehicle in multiple states in eastern and a few in western USA. ..

Mind you most my lighting is very minimal.

I cannot see you having any issues so Brite lighting with either your personal or company ride(s). Once you get to the border and explain what you are going there for CBP won't have any issue. My best suggestion would be to carry a "letter of invite" or some ittinary from the host agency to show at the border if requested.

Storm82

Dec 16, 2014
Ludlow Falls, Ohio
I haven't had any issue going into other states with my POV.

I remember seeing kids at college who would be driving a POV, they would have the lights covered, particularly if the were from Indiana.

On a side note, I noticed when I was reading up on the light laws in MD, that there is a provision to allow an out of state emergency vehicle or POV, to run their lights and siren, if responding to an active scene to assist.

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
uploadfromtaptalk1432217392399.jpg

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
It all depends...  I drove both of these vehicles from PA to NC numerous times and was never hassled about it...  (even got requests to see them lit up by a couple of LEOs down in NC...  lol)

My Tahoe:

attachicon.gif
Installed02.jpg

My Avalanche:

attachicon.gif
2011-10-09_15-24-09_756.JPG

attachicon.gif
2012-06-12_10-25-52_938.JPG
"The difference between the men and the boys....

are the price of the blue lights on top of their toys....."

Old PA volunteer fire saying..heheh

Nice looking.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
If you go into Kentucky or Ohio with a visible blue lensed lights, you WILL be hassled. My safety officer went south for a personal trip and got pulled over. Same thing happened to two other guys on my dept. Clear lenses and I don't think anything will be said anywhere. Took a trip to Ohio and had a couple LEOs ask me to light them up when we stopped for dinner then proceeded to ask where I got them, what brand, etc.

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
Somehow double posted. Wont let me delete.

Last edited by a moderator:

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
If you go into Kentucky or Ohio with a visible blue lensed lights, you WILL be hassled. My safety officer went south for a personal trip and got pulled over. Same thing happened to two other guys on my dept. Clear lenses and I don't think anything will be said anywhere. Took a trip to Ohio and had a couple LEOs ask me to light them up when we stopped for dinner then proceeded to ask where I got them, what brand, etc.
I've been to Ohio multiple times with obvious red and blue front and rear (500s/600s front, 600s rear) and have never been hassled. Hell, I even used them once (drove up on a wreck on the highway, provided first aid and traffic control until local responders could arrive, left once they arrived and had everything under control).

Reactions: Station 3

Storm82

Dec 16, 2014
Ludlow Falls, Ohio
I have had people tell me I would get hassled and a ticket in Indiana for my red lights, I never have been hassled once.

Granted I haven't had to use my lights while in Indiana, I think that some agencies would be more lenient that what people think, as long as we aren't screwing around with the lights.

J-Rock1944

Jun 26, 2013
Lexington, Kentucky
I've never been bothered in Ohio, Indiana, or West Virginia. Usually, unmarked out of state CVPIs with lights attract attention. Guess I've been lucky? (Most of my lights are clear-lenses LEDs.)

Bogie

Jan 19, 2012
Queens,NY
In my POV when I had colored lenses never a issue, once with my motorcycle in NH i was asked about the blue spot lights and asked to cover them politely. With a marked unit never.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
If I were to get pulled over by one of those cops that get botherd butt hurt or upset about my lights in some non Texas weird state and was told to cover them I would probably tell him to Fu$k off..... and end up in Jail for assaulting and handcuffing that non Texas cop.....

It upsets me when cops get upset or technical about little things... when they should be out looking for bigger fish.

Reactions: kitn1mcc and 336

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
If I were to get pulled over by one of those cops that get botherd butt hurt or upset about my lights in some non Texas weird state and was told to cover them I would probably tell him to Fu$k off..... and end up in Jail for assaulting and handcuffing that non Texas cop.....

It upsets me when cops get upset or technical about little things... when they should be out looking for bigger fish.

Thats how most of the small departments here in CT handle policeing

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.