Crown Victoria install questions

Xtcbct

Nov 29, 2017
Ct
Hi all, I'm working on upgrading an existing Crown Victoria LX installation. Everything below is currently working off a Feniex 4200 mini, but I am finding that the control aspect is not where it needs to be. I have a few questions and all installation plans laid out below. Hopefully someone who has worked with PCC8Rs can chime in?

FRONT (Combined Amperage of 18 AMPS) A, B, C
(2) Whelen 500 Series Linear Super-LED Lighthead (Fuse @ 3 AMPS)
Whelen HALO Super-LED Hide-A-Way Front (Fuse @ 5 AMPS)
Whelen Front Inner Edge Lightbar w/MR8 Takedowns (Fuse @ 10 AMPS)

REAR (Combined Amperage of 20.5 AMPS) D, E, F
Whelen HALO Super-LED Hide-A-Way Rear (Fuse @ 7.5 AMPS)
Whelen Rear Upper Inner Edge Lightbar (Fuse @ 10 AMPS)
Whelen Rear Lower Inner Edge Lightbar (Fuse @ 3 AMPS)

I've purchased a Whelen PCC8R and a BlueSea Systems 6 input fuse block. I plan to use a 5 or 6 GA power/ground to the fuse block. The PCC8R will also get it's power from the positive post of the fuse block. For the above functions, would it be better to ground directly to battery neg post, or to vehicle frame? I'm planning to put the PCC8R/Fuse block in the trunk/beneath the rear deck lid. My current plan is to put all front/rear warning lights power inputs/grounds to the fuse block. Then each individual activation/function wires will go to the center wires (yellow) of each switch on the PCC8R. Looks like the other 2 wires on the amp connector are not needed for my purposes. Front (A-C) will be on 3 fused inputs. Rear (D-F) will be on 3 fused inputs. Is my install approach a good one? Any other tips? Should I also fuse the 5 or 6 GU power wire?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 28

Xtcbct

Nov 29, 2017
Ct
Thanks for the info shues. I will get a circuit breaker. I'm looking for a clean correct install. I'm not an expert installer by any means, so forgive my additional questions. Looking at an AMP chart, it looks like 6 GA power wire will be quite sufficient...any sources for good quality wire? Is it better to ground to neg battery post? It would be a long run for the ground. I'm noticing that the rear lower inner edge has power/activation tied into the red power wire in one wire, with no separate trigger wire. In this case, I plan to ground to fuse block and connect red power/activation directly to yellow wire on PCC8R on one of the inputs.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
you can always hit the local junkyard for a former interceptor and grab the rear power point and cabling and the relay connection in the engine compartment and upfit to your lx... You Might even still be able to get those items from ford or a taxi parts company... thats who I go through for my Factory parts at Great Pricing!

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Side note:
Your set up sounds pretty solid. Be sure to post up an install thread. Be sure to take lots of pics while installing and videos of set up in action when complete.

Reactions: Xtcbct

Xtcbct

Nov 29, 2017
Ct
40A for an LED-only install? You're way overestimating the current draw of your lights.
MtnMan, my amperage listings are from the factory Whelen manuals for each product. I'm not estimating, it is what they say. That is what they state for fuse amperage. Whether the actual draw that high of an amperage is another question, but I believe this install will be very solid.

Xtcbct

Nov 29, 2017
Ct
you can always hit the local junkyard for a former interceptor and grab the rear power point and cabling and the relay connection in the engine compartment and upfit to your lx... You Might even still be able to get those items from ford or a taxi parts company... thats who I go through for my Factory parts at Great Pricing!
That is a nice thought, and I have thought of that. But, I like the versatility of these product to be able to move to another vehicle in the future.

Xtcbct

Nov 29, 2017
Ct
Last question to anyone, what would be the best points to tap the trigger wires for ignition, and backlight control? I suppose I could pull from the rear lights wires for illumination, but what about ignition?

Xtcbct

Nov 29, 2017
Ct
Installation is complete. Since I don't do this every day, it took me about 1 week, spending all my free time working after work to do everything. Still looming exposed wiring and need to tie up a couple things. Will try to get pics. Ended up grounding to body in trunk rather than back to battery.

All works as designed and love this setup way more than the Feniex 4200 mini. everything is properly fused, everything everywhere, which is the way it should be.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.