Cruise lights on local small town unit.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Local small town PD has step lights activated when cruise lights are on. They also go to full bright mode when you activate the Flood light option on the Legacy. I thought It looked kinda cool.

Attachments

• 20170514_060206.jpg
    20170514_060206.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 172

unityrv26

Mar 4, 2012
Michigan
Can anyone please explain to me exactly what cruise lights are? And what they are used for? I've never worked for any place that uses them.

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
Cruise lights refer to lighting up just the corner modules or the whole lightbar, depending on the manufacturer, on a dim steady mode. They have many uses from letting residence know police are on patrol in the neighborhood, making easier to locate an officer for assistance, to being used when conducting investigations so the flashing lights aren't causing a lot of attention and disrupting peoples sleep.

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
Cruise lights are mainly on lightbars but some manufacturer's offer the feature on their light heads, like Whelen, so you don't have to limit it to just the lightbar.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Honolulu, HI police were the first that I know of to use cruise lights. They were used on their Senior Rota-Beams back in the 1960s-1970s.
They were also used in their Federal 174s.

Last edited:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Most LE vehicles have the function, but it's up to the officers to actually utilize them. Typically, the 4 corners of the lightbar are steadyburn on lowpower to show a LE presence (i.e. nighttime patrol) without lighting up the street unnecessarily. It's also great for nighttime use so that other responding units (if it's a silent approach) see your unit parked on the side of the road as they pull up

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
Can anyone please explain to me exactly what cruise lights are? And what they are used for?

High profile patrol, basically. The opposite of sneaking, without all of the siezureiffic stuff.

unityrv26

Mar 4, 2012
Michigan
I guess it makes sense. I guessing they aren't used in my area. I don't know of any cars in our county nor any on my department that are used. They aren't even an option on our cars. Interesting how different agencies can be.

Thanks guys

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
I think those running board lights look stupid.

I'm glad it's not just me...

The only thing I have against LED's, is that they can be pretty much mounted anywhere, and requires self control on the part of person wanting them. I could never be an installer and light up a cruiser like a space ship.

When I see cruisers like that, I feel like there should be aliens chasing it down the street screaming for the mother ship.

Reactions: Station 3

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.