CTS 537 Flasher wiring diagram needed

bixfisher

Jul 24, 2010
St. Louis
I am looking for a factory wiring diagram showing the wiring for the original Tunsol 537 flasher used in the CTS bar. I have a bar that someone altered the system and has a 552 two prong flasher. Having difficulty with the flash rate. I have two 537 flashers that I got off ebay but they flash really crazy with just the two circuits. I am thinking that the 537 has power going into X, and the rear light off Lug L and the other connection P to the front steady. Otherise the 537 flashes a crazy rate like 2 flashes a second! Any help would be MOST appreciated!

Benno

Jul 17, 2011
Germany
I am thinking that the 537 has power going into X, and the rear light off Lug L and the other connection P to the front steady.
power to X is korrekt and rear-light to L also
but as the name said - the front steady burn light is not connected to a flasher ;)

TwinSonic CTS -28 (2).jpg

bixfisher

Jul 24, 2010
St. Louis
Thank you Benno! That helps. I think this one I have was modified at some point before I got it over 15 years ago. There was no connector to the flasher. The flasher was a 2 pin 552 flasher. It had failed so I replaced it with another 552. The flash rate seemed OK but over time, the rate increased to the point it was getting crazy. I figured the relay was about to die so I replaced it with another 552. Doing OK but I keep reading that the STANDARD Federal used was the TunSol 537. I have one I got off EBAY several years ago but as I said above, it has a crazy rapid flash rate, almost strobe like. I have another one coming and will try it. I compare the flash rates to the CTS bar in the TV show Emergency. When I was messing around with the 537 I have now, when I connected the lamp to the P, it just burns steady. I was under the impression this was a wig-wag flasher since it is described being used for that purpose in AeryDynic bars for the outboard flashers. I guess the flash rate is directly proportonal to the voltage at the flasher.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
A thermal 537 will only flash when the load is connected to the Load (L) terminal. Connecting the load to the Pilot (P) terminal results in a no-flash condition, typically used to indicate that the lamp connected to the Load (L) terminal is out.

bixfisher

Jul 24, 2010
St. Louis
Thank you Shues for that response. More info is better. I am thinking the one with the extremely fast flash rate is defective. I have another one I got off an ebay seller that I am going to test out this weekend and see if it has a more "regular" flash rate.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Thank you Benno! That helps. I think this one I have was modified at some point before I got it over 15 years ago. There was no connector to the flasher. The flasher was a 2 pin 552 flasher. It had failed so I replaced it with another 552. The flash rate seemed OK but over time, the rate increased to the point it was getting crazy. I figured the relay was about to die so I replaced it with another 552. Doing OK but I keep reading that the STANDARD Federal used was the TunSol 537. I have one I got off EBAY several years ago but as I said above, it has a crazy rapid flash rate, almost strobe like. I have another one coming and will try it. I compare the flash rates to the CTS bar in the TV show Emergency. When I was messing around with the 537 I have now, when I connected the lamp to the P, it just burns steady. I was under the impression this was a wig-wag flasher since it is described being used for that purpose in AeryDynic bars for the outboard flashers. I guess the flash rate is directly proportonal to the voltage at the flasher.
Front light is steady burn. Rear light flashes and is the only flasher. You don't need an alternating flasher, a 2 prong would work. The CTS is a California bar, which means it has a front solid steady red and a rear amber flasher.

bixfisher

Jul 24, 2010
St. Louis
Hi John. I appreciate the response. I know the CTS very well. I was originally interested in the original wiring diagram and why Federal used the 537. But it appears the 537 was used in several bars including AeroDynics. I had found other blogs on other web sites that described it as a alternating or "wig-wag" flasher as it clearly isn't. Perhaps Federal got a deal and purchased a ton of the Tunsol 537's over the years. I am not aware of the "P" or pilot lug ever being used. My two prong 552 works OK in it's place. I was trying to get the flash rate a bit lower because the 537's have an extremely fast rate, a little over 2 flashes per second. Again, thank you for input.

I can certainly give the 550 a shot.

bixfisher

Jul 24, 2010
St. Louis
My CTS bar hanging from the ceiling so both front and back are clearly visible.

Attachments

• IMG_0320.JPG
    IMG_0320.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 8

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Hi John. I appreciate the response. I know the CTS very well. I was originally interested in the original wiring diagram and why Federal used the 537. But it appears the 537 was used in several bars including AeroDynics. I had found other blogs on other web sites that described it as a alternating or "wig-wag" flasher as it clearly isn't. Perhaps Federal got a deal and purchased a ton of the Tunsol 537's over the years. I am not aware of the "P" or pilot lug ever being used. My two prong 552 works OK in it's place. I was trying to get the flash rate a bit lower because the 537's have an extremely fast rate, a little over 2 flashes per second. Again, thank you for input.

I can certainly give the 550 a shot.
I got ya. I think you are right that federal just stuck to what the had despite the unused position on it.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
FedSig offered the 537 as it's economy flasher. The 537 is a "wig-wag" flasher in that it alternates. But it's a thermal flasher which results in an inconsistent, even erratic, flash rate affected by amp draw and also heat from long-term flashing periods. You're better using one leg of a FedSig FA3 or a Tridon alternating flasher.

bixfisher

Jul 24, 2010
St. Louis
Thank you Chiefops. I will keep this information. So out of curiosity, how did the 537 do wig-wag? I know the L terminal is the flash leg going to the AMBER in the CTS bar. The P terminal stays on steady unless I am missing something. So maybe if lights are connected to both the L and P terminals, it then performs as a wig-wag?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Screenshot_20230511-183542.png

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.