bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
Hello. Can anyone tell me the approximate amp draw on a Whelen Edge bar:

Four corner strobes
Four strobe heads facing forward
Front Populated only, nothing to the rear
Halogen "piercer" oscillating lights to the front in the center section

This is on a tanker truck. The switch in the console melted, I am trying to figure out if it was undersized or just developed a bad connection which heated it up. No fuses were blown. This tanker has been in service for 10 years or so, everything has worked fine up until now. I have a replacement switch which is rated for 20 amps. Not sure what the original one was.

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
The Whelen Edge strobes are 1 1/2 amps per head so your're talking 12 amps just for your
8 strobes. Its been awhile since I messed with the piercers. Are you using 27, 35 or 50 watt
bulbs ? Remember: watts divided by volts equals amps. Add at least 1/2 amp for a motor.
Your 10ga. wire is great. I think your switch gave out.
Have you thought of putting your piercer on its own switch ?

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
Actually, yes. It's an NFPA package so the piercer is on a separate circuit, which activates/deactivates with the parking brake. White light cut-off rule.

thanks for all the input, guys. I am going to dig into it today.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
That's an interesting idea having it wired to the parking brake... Back in the 90s, we'd program/wire the B-Link bars to eliminate the flashing takedowns and headlights/wigwags and a few other options when the vehicle was put into park (more steady classic comet flash pattern vs crazy attention getting stuff facing forward, no need to make drivers or officers walking up and back dizzy)

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
You know that's a good idea, but I don't see a way of doing that thru programming, just turning on the rears, cruise the ends and steady on the takedowns/flood as needed by regular switch setup.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sanman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.