Custom 600 rotabeam bar

May 27, 2010
Memphis, TN
Not my video, but I saw this while perusing YouTube the other day. Haven't seen anyone other than San Antonio doing this. I think I like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: OliverD

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
They started doing this about 2 years ago. I hate them. I think all rotabeams on a slow pattern look terrible and I think the unit as a whole looks terrible. I don’t know if they thought that they’d be saving money (I doubt it b/c Pierce custom fab work costs a pretty penny) or what else was on their mind when they chose that setup over a freedom frame with rotabeams.

May 27, 2010
Memphis, TN
They started doing this about 2 years ago. I hate them. I think all rotabeams on a slow pattern look terrible and I think the unit as a whole looks terrible. I don’t know if they thought that they’d be saving money (I doubt it b/c Pierce custom fab work costs a pretty penny) or what else was on their mind when they chose that setup over a freedom frame with rotabeams.
I agree the patterns could be better, but I kinda like the bigger profile on fire apparatus.

I HATE the way a lot of departments get a 72" bar and leave half of it empty.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I agree the patterns could be better, but I kinda like the bigger profile on fire apparatus.

I HATE the way a lot of departments get a 72" bar and leave half of it empty.

I don’t mind when depts have a basic NFPA freedom with only 4 inboards, AS LONG as they have a solid perimeter lighting setup....I can’t stand when depts have a fully-populated lightbar but have 2 small grill lights and 2 lightheads on each side of their apparatus, instead of having a depop lightbar with twice the perimeter lighting on all sides (for the same budget).

For specs, at the bare minimum, I usually recommend side warning approx every 5 ft, 2-3 levels/tiers of front warning, and 3 levels/tiers (ideally 4) of lighting to the rear. They have a great lighting package all around, but the lightbar just doesn’t do it for me

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Simulated rotation with LEDs is cool. But I still WaY prefer actual motion. Federal Signal LED SLRs, Intav LED rotators, Ecco LED rotators.
I agree that it’s cool but it won’t ever jump at me like actual motion (just like how electronic mechanical will never do it for me like true mechanical, although Whelen did come close). I’ve never been overly impressed with the SLRs. I understand low pro is the trend, but I wish they had a larger option (larger housing and reflector) to give a bigger footprint for larger apparatus.
However, i think the rotabeams look great on the new FDNY ladders with the fast flashing inboards on the mini freedoms

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHarrold000

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.