Custom CenCom Red Programming

Thermoman24

Apr 26, 2012
New York
Hey guys not sure if this is the right place for this thread so maybe a moderator can move it if I'm wrong.

Basically from what I can figure out the Cencom has a 3 profiles each with their own operations and configs and your save file just applies settings to that file so when you flash the cencom it gives it a. either both files or b. a compiled version of the two that the cencom just reads.

So when you use slide switchs 1,2,3 they can activate and deactivate inputs but they do not indicate which buttons would have been activated. I am assuming that this is because 10 years ago or more when they wrote the software it would be more work. each button could turn on more inputs then the slide switch settings. Does anybody have any experience in changing the slide switch operation to set the button state to 1 or on? would this make the red light come on? I didn't want to post any actual code because I'm not sure if that is copyright material but if you open the xml files you can see it.

Let me know what you guys think and if I figure it out I wouldn't mind helping others do the same. It seems like a fairly easy process. Right now I have replaced my RAD button to do Ramp Coast and my HF button to do Hi/Low so the T3 button still does piercer.

~Thermo

Last edited by a moderator:

Thermoman24

Apr 26, 2012
New York
Just a quick update to this thread I have figured out a ton from reading the XML code in the program files dir. I can post some videos later showing what I have modified and if anyone is interested I can explain to them. The biggest changes are when using the slide switch I have it show me which buttons are activated,and adding a 4th flash pattern and button press.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thermoman24

Apr 26, 2012
New York
dcarrfire45 said:
i would love to be able to get other siren tones, have you been able to figure that out yet?

As far as I can tell you can not add tones without hooking up another siren box. I do not use the HF button and the Radio rebroadcast buttons so I programed mine as Ramp coast and Hi/Low. So my Buttons from left to right are:

Standby, Ramp Coast (Former RAD), Hi/Low (Former HF), Wail, Yelp, Piercer, Man (does Ramp stop), AH

Editing what the button does is easy and if you want to hook up another siren to an output I can activate it. This would good for people who want to run dual sirens (Wail, and yelp) etc...

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
Thermoman24 said:
As far as I can tell you can not add tones without hooking up another siren box. I do not use the HF button and the Radio rebroadcast buttons so I programed mine as Ramp coast and Hi/Low. So my Buttons from left to right are:

You can, but you're talking about rewriting firmware. A significantly bigger challenge.

My solution was to add an Alpha22Q (pre-ban, with the good mechanical tone) and use the low-power output to control it. So, I have single buttons for Wail, Yelp, Piercer, and Hi-Lo, and a four-state button for Alpha OFF, Mech, Whoop, and Warble.

Thermoman24

Apr 26, 2012
New York
Custom TA Pattern:

First goto C:/Program Files/Whelen/Cencom/Cencom 3.6/TA Patterns Profiles

You will see several files TAPattern1.tpl, TAPattern2.tpl, etc...

Either open one up and edit it or duplicated it and create your own custom TA. If you add your own file make sure to change the name (you'll see where at the top of the file in the code). You can add multiple new TA Pattern Files by naming them in order TAPattern5.tpl, TAPattern6.tpl

This will add the TA pattern to the Cencom Software on the Left side where you select # of Lamps and Led...

Here is the code to add that pattern: I will also include my TPL file so its easier for the non-computer people. Also Please be advised if you are following this you take on the responsibilities of possibly breaking your cencom. Please do not hold me responsible!

<!-- Where value=4 that is in the code that 4 means you have an 8 head TA, 3=7,2=6,1=5 heads... -->

<case control="TA_NumberOfLamps" value="4">

<!-- FLASH D 8 Lamp -->

<!-- Alternating Quad Flash -->

<if control="TA_LEDLamp" value="true">

170 83

0 50

170 83

0 50

170 83

0 50

170 83

0 50

85 83

0 50

85 83

0 50

85 83

0 50

85 83

0 50

170 83

0 50

170 83

0 50

170 83

0 50

170 83

0 50

85 83

0 50

85 83

0 50

85 83

0 50

85 83

0 50

0 0

</if>

<if control="TA_LEDLamp" value="false">

0 0

</if>

</case>

For those that want to make their own patterns this is how those numbers work (from what I have figured out)

the first number is which modules you are grounding (that is how the TA is done on the cencom... or activating) so 170 represents a base 10 number and the cencom converts that to base 2, binary.

(I used this website to help me make the patterns, to much math: Base-10 to Base-2 Conversion Calculator )

So 170 in binary looks like : 10101010

and 85 looks like: 01010101

Pretty simple right? The second number is time. This is a little tricky and why my pattern stays at one speed. I tried to do an alternating speed up pattern like the Feniex bars do but it just didn't "look" right... Play around with the numbers and you'll figure it out.

I have included by Default.tpl file as well which is what makes the buttons turn on when I activate my slide switch. This file must be edited to your config if you want it to function like mine! Again I take no responsibility for your actions. I played in the dark with my cencom red to do this so you can play with yours at your own risk.

That Default file also has the siren buttons re-programmed to allow access to all the tones. The files are straight forward and feel free to ask questions I will check back on this thread to help other brave users

Video showing the slide switch with buttons:

http://youtu.be/CnEfPqlBzgQ

TAPattern6.tpl.txt

Default.tpl.txt

Attachments

• TAPattern6.tpl.txt
    312 bytes · Views: 29
  • Default.tpl.txt
    313 bytes · Views: 23

Thermoman24

Apr 26, 2012
New York
To make any button function as if it were the Flash or Dir buttons (multi-push for diff results):

<Input name="AUX1">

<!-- Custom TA for the Lightbar L Arrow, R Arrow, Split -->

<id>&AUXA_BTN;</id>

<config>

<states>

<case control="System:TA_NumberOfLamps" value="0">1</case>

<case control="System:TA_NumberOfLamps" value="0" oper="NOT">4</case>

</states>

<wrap>true</wrap>

<type>

<case control="System:TA_NumberOfLamps" value="0">&MOMENTARY;</case>

<case control="System:TA_NumberOfLamps" value="0" oper="NOT">&ON-OFF;</case>

</type>

<DCtime>50</DCtime>

<Htime>80</Htime>

<activelow>false</activelow>

<used>

<if control="IsEnabled" value="true">true</if>

<if control="IsEnabled" value="false">false</if>

</used>

</config>

<operation>

<code state="0">

&TERM;

</code>

<code state="1">

&RLYON; 8

<if control="System:ActivationTone" value="true">

&ACT_TONE;

</if>

&TERM;

</code>

<code state="2">

&RLYOFF; 8

&RLYON; 9

&ACT_TONE;

</if>

&TERM;

</code>

<code state="3">

&RLYON; 8

&RLYON; 9

&ACT_TONE;

</if>

&TERM;

</code>

</operation>

</Input>

Code State 1 is one push, 2 is two pushes 3 is three button pushes and four is off.

Replace &RLYON / &RLYOFF with your own code.

FFParker

Jul 17, 2010
Aiken, SC
this is a pretty cool project. I am curious how you were able to change the rad switch to a siren tone. I would like to do this for the cencom gold I will be receiving here shortly. that way i can have auto mechanical and still have phaser as t3. And as someone else stated it would be awesome to add other tones like alternate wail and alt. yelp.

Thermoman24

Apr 26, 2012
New York
FFParker said:
this is a pretty cool project. I am curious how you were able to change the rad switch to a siren tone. I would like to do this for the cencom gold I will be receiving here shortly. that way i can have auto mechanical and still have phaser as t3. And as someone else stated it would be awesome to add other tones like alternate wail and alt. yelp.

From what I can tell the Cencom Red and Gold are two different programming and firmwares. I don't think you can do this to a GOLD

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Yes, you can have T3 as piercer and Mech. Set it up like so. When you have the hands free off, use one of the low current (250ma) outputs set to momentary to activate for Mech with the horn ring input. When the hands free is on, it'll toggle thru the tones.

CCG Mech.jpg

FFParker

Jul 17, 2010
Aiken, SC
TritonBoulder47 said:
Don't you have a 4200...? Why would you use the CenCom...? lol

You didnt hear, the 4200 was traded for light! Poor little timmy...

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
How does one accomplish the TPL changes? Have a Red ARM I'm looking to play around with. Wanting to add TA flash patterns, like above and enable the indicator lights for the buttons when used with the 3 pos switch. Maybe others. Also, possibly move the TA flash & dir to the RadRB and HR buttons, don't use those.

bobbyj

May 1, 2012
Bellingham, MA
rwo978 said:
How does one accomplish the TPL changes? Have a Red ARM I'm looking to play around with. Wanting to add TA flash patterns, like above and enable the indicator lights for the buttons when used with the 3 pos switch. Maybe others. Also, possibly move the TA flash & dir to the RadRB and HR buttons, don't use those.

Open the files with a text editor. Notepad++ is what I used. You'll need some knowledge of XML code.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
bobbyj said:
Open the files with a text editor. Notepad++ is what I used. You'll need some knowledge of XML code.

Yep, got as far as finding the default.tpl and opened with notepad. Is it just a matter of 'copy/paste' the new instruction code into this, and then it gets sent to the ARM when the programming is uploaded to it? I can get around a computer, probably know more than the average Joe, but when it comes to writing code and/or programming... yeah, ummm, no. If I explain what I want to accomplish, mainly with the warn patterns for the TA, is someone able to type it up for me? And the button illumination when turned on by the 3pos?

10-75_Da_Box

Jan 28, 2011
Wappingers Falls
I'm sorry to bring up an old thread. I'm trying to understand this whole XML editing thing. So I'm wanting my STBY button to turn off SW4-8. So I would simply add to the string "&SET: &SW4_BTN;" &OFF, and do the same thing for the rest?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.