Dash Laser question

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Can anyone tell me what this is and what the purpose of it is for the motor? I am putting a new motor in my Dash Laser and it does not have this. There was not one on the motor I removed either, but there is no ground wire for the motor and it will not run without one.

InkedIMG_20210820_172142848_LI.jpg

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
It's the emergency advil tablet for when working on the thing gives you a headache...

But in all seriousness, maybe some kind of insulator to prevent shorting?)

Last edited:

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
No idea what the purpose is but I've seen similar doohickeys on other motors including the ubiquitous Federal Signal motor found on the 'Hawk style rotators.
F83FBD90-078F-414F-8E08-E24AB022E203.jpeg

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
It is my understanding that they are for radio interference/noise supression. DC motors can be "noisy" to other electronics and the resistors help quiet them down.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
It is a capacitor or (cap in the electronic industry). It serves several purposes, such as, keeps a constant voltage to the motor, and cuts down on noise interference for RF stuff for example. They are one of the primary components in ac to dc power supply's.

Clarence H

May 20, 2010
USA Twin Cities Minnesota
It is a capacitor or (cap in the electronic industry). It serves several purposes, such as, keeps a constant voltage to the motor, and cuts down on noise interference for RF stuff for example. They are one of the primary components in ac to dc power supply's.

Ceramic Disc Capacitor, (what he said..)

Reactions: jdh

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.