Daytona unlimited pace car catches fire

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
Pace car on final segment catches fire in trunk area. I hope that installer has his insurance payed up!

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
The HAWs had been acting up all day. One of the fire crew guys said it came from the "where all the strobe stuff is" but that could be any amount of equipment there. Notice the new whelen bar?

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
FEVER said:
The HAWs had been acting up all day. One of the fire crew guys said it came from the "where all the strobe stuff is" but that could be any amount of equipment there. Notice the new whelen bar?

I think once we get the "after" pictures... because I'm sure SOMEONE will get them.... this thread should move to the "Wacker/Screwed up install thread" :D

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Apparently the car was brought into daytona fully outfitted. So its not a local install. Chevy has to be pissed... makes it look like its the cars fault when its not.

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
It is a custom made housing to hold the led lightheads. It was then painted to color match the vehicle. You will find this is very typical of pace cars in the facing industry.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Ryan is right, i went back and looked through more pace car pictures. i was really hoping it was something new. After seeing better pictures... I"m glad its not lol.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Back when I worked for Chevrolet (NAO Press Fleet), Chevy had it's own cop shop where all PPV concepts, show cars, and test cars were upfitted. It would also do the pace cars. No idea if they still do that.

FireEMSPolice, you wrote "typical, a Chevy on fire." In fire recalls in recent years, Ford leads the pack with Eco Boost realted fires, followed by Chrysler with Jeep Cherokee fires, and Chevrolet just announced a recall for Cobalt and G5 ignition fires. The Chevy SS pace car fire has nothing to do with the car it's self. A battery pack in the trunk fr the blinkies is what caught fire. Not the car battery.

Last edited by a moderator:

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Did you notice in the video where the driver went back in (32 second mark) to get his cigar, that rolled back into the rear seat... oh no! You don't think... :eek:

ClintonPSE

Mar 13, 2013
Clinton, IA
Why do they use strobe lights still? It would seem to me that LED's would be the logical choice for that application. If I was Whelen, I would be showcasing my biggest, bad a$$, LED warning equipment instead of linear strobes in a JetSonic-like housing.

That is, of course, unless strobes are INDEED the better warning light...Hmmm... :undecided:

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
ryan said:
Strobes are still better at catching peoples attention imho.

Ditto. Besides, strobes are what made Whelen famous in the first place. Why sideline a still very efficient technology? The SS looks like a very nice car. Too bad it will never be a good seller, I fear :(

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
Phillyrube said:
BMW motorcycles have a nasty habit of having final drive fires......

I think you mean "final drive *failures*" (where the gears just destroy themselves...

...but even then, I think it's basically the only real weak spot in that generation, and a small number of people with disposable income and access to message boards have made it sound like a much bigger problem than it actually is...

Although, if the Bavarians have progressed to final drive fires, then good on them!

Also:

"Why is your gearbox so loud?"

"They designed it that way so I have audible feedback when I change gears."

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
ClintonPSE said:
Why do they use strobe lights still? It would seem to me that LED's would be the logical choice for that application. ...

Better yet, JDI kerosene lanterns.

ClintonPSE

Mar 13, 2013
Clinton, IA
kitn1mcc said:
rumor has it JDI has been seen in the Yankee candle research facility
Must be researching the rumored scented warning light. When you 'light it up' it smells like bacon. Except for the ones used on REACT vehicles which smells like Bull crap...

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Lightbarnut said:
What is your list price on those?

Looking at your profile, we can't sell to you. Florida is sorta close to Louisiana, and we are very afraid of the laws in that state. :D

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
that car was not done by whelen as an official NASCAR pace car. could have been done by chevy or by the race sponsor

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Whelen is rumored to have hired a "contractor" to find the installer for this debacle.....

:haha:

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.