"Dear Chief...."

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
I'm guilty of having tried to fit a freightliner box truck under a bridge like that :( I normally drove a smaller truck but that day had to take the big one as mine was in the shop getting it's 3rd automatic transmission in under 100,000 miles (97 Ford Power Stroke) the smaller truck always fits fine under the bridge but duh... not a 12 foot tall freightliner. that was fun. And I did get a well deserved ticket for it as well.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
RyanZ71 said:
I'm guilty of having tried to fit a freightliner box truck under a bridge like that :( I normally drove a smaller truck but that day had to take the big one as mine was in the shop getting it's 3rd automatic transmission in under 100,000 miles (97 Ford Power Stroke) the smaller truck always fits fine under the bridge but duh... not a 12 foot tall freightliner. that was fun. And I did get a well deserved ticket for it as well.

So you purposely take a 12' tall truck in a spot that you know to have a lower clearance? :rolleyes:

We have that happen around here regularly. When it does, it chokes off access to the hospital and this side of town. The fine is stiff too. $1500 if you hit it, $900 if you get to the bridge and need help getting turned around. There are many many signs warning of the bridge and clearance for miles ahead, some have flashing lights and tell you to turn off. Yet, retards seem to test it any way.

Clearly the firefighter operating that ladder truck should never drive it again if he cant read the signs. That ladder is really FUBAR'd. That turntable is bent up.

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Now there's an expensive preventable debacle.... :duh:

Inexcusable if ya ask me...... :nono:

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
FireEMSPolice said:
So you purposely take a 12' tall truck in a spot that you know to have a lower clearance? :rolleyes:

We have that happen around here regularly. When it does, it chokes off access to the hospital and this side of town. The fine is stiff too. $1500 if you hit it, $900 if you get to the bridge and need help getting turned around. There are many many signs warning of the bridge and clearance for miles ahead, some have flashing lights and tell you to turn off. Yet, retards seem to test it any way.

Clearly the firefighter operating that ladder truck should never drive it again if he cant read the signs. That ladder is really FUBAR'd. That turntable is bent up.

Purposely wanted to crash the truck? no. It was one of those situations where I was so use to driving that way in the smaller truck that I didn't even think about the height issue. And that has been the same excuse many others have used as the bridge I hit has been and continues to be run into by trucks of all sizes.

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
RyanZ71 said:
Purposely wanted to crash the truck? no. It was one of those situations where I was so use to driving that way in the smaller truck that I didn't even think about the height issue. And that has been the same excuse many others have used as the bridge I hit has been and continues to be run into by trucks of all sizes.

Kinda like the time I put diesel in a gas engine reserve ambulance. Used to always filling up with diesel, but someone pulled the old switcheroo on me. :bonk:

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
That truck just went in service a few months ago. It was at Fire Rescue International in August.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
dustymedic said:
That truck just went in service a few months ago. It was at Fire Rescue International in August.

:duh: :duh: :duh:

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
We have standing orders to avoid certain routes (load limits, clearances & weather conditions).

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
This is a scenario when pre-planning, knowing your district, and equipment comes into play. Even if it was a mutual aid job to a district not your own, you should know what places to avoid, AND, have clearly marked INSIDE your apparatus the height and weight (and situational awareness; Know to look at the signs for height and weight limits when approaching bridges and tunnels).

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
Dear Chief...

No one was more surprised than I...

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I know that many aerials have a breakaway point at the tip of their ladders, but I don't think they intended it to withstand this much force lol

twodogs603 said:
I think there is some major damage there. Look at the turn table.

Really? Ya think?

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
Dear Chief,

As you may already be aware of, our aerial failed my latest battery of durability testing. On a positive note, it is better that it failed this test, rather than failing with personnel on it in a situation that would lead to serious injury or perhaps even the death of one of our fellow fire fighters. (I will make it a point to meet with you later so you can thank me for preventing this potential tragedy.) In light of the fact that our aerial is now out of service, I submit the following replacement with some of it's safety features highlighted:

extension1_new.gif

Although, the best feature is that with it's low clearance, light weight and portability, this incident will not be able to be repeated by another fire fighter, as I will not have the opportunity to try again, having been released from the department and am now fleeing the country to avoid your wrath and the almost certain ass kicking that you have in mind for me for wrecking your expensive truck.

Sincerely,

FF Jack Knob (Forcibly Ret.)

Image courtesy of laddersafety.org

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
SeattleSAR said:
Dear Chief,

As you may already be aware of, our aerial failed my latest battery of durability testing. On a positive note, it is better that it failed this test, rather than failing with personnel on it in a situation that would lead to serious injury or perhaps even the death of one of our fellow fire fighters. (I will make it a point to meet with you later so you can thank me for preventing this potential tragedy.) In light of the fact that our aerial is now out of service, I submit the following replacement with some of it's safety features highlighted:

View attachment 65307

Although, the best feature is that with it's low clearance, light weight and portability, this incident will not be able to be repeated by another fire fighter, as I will not have the opportunity to try again, having been released from the department and am now fleeing the country to avoid your wrath and the almost certain ass kicking that you have in mind for me for wrecking your expensive truck.

Sincerely,

I think this deserves a resurrection of one of our classic imposter/whacker/EDPs!!

Temporary Aerial replacement??

http://elightbars.org/forums/f25/nyc-police-imposter-buff-29569/

43980d1353645683-nyc-police-imposter-buff-whacker.jpg

http://elightbars.org/forums/f25/nyc-police-imposter-buff-29569/index3.html#post329730

Last edited by a moderator:

GPC

Oct 17, 2010
North Carolina
SeattleSAR said:
Dear Chief,

View attachment 65307

Sincerely,

Bwahahahahahaha!!!! Awesome!

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
Holy thread revival, Batman!!

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
I really love everyone commenting about "fire truck fail"... tell us, have you ever driven a piece of fire apparatus, especially responding to calls code 3? Your mind is going through a million different checklists. Sometimes, even the best of drivers screws up... I've certainly had my moments in 6 years and more than a thousand code 3 responses. You get the shit fixed and you move on.

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
tvsjr said:
I really love everyone commenting about "fire truck fail"... tell us, have you ever driven a piece of fire apparatus, especially responding to calls code 3? Your mind is going through a million different checklists. Sometimes, even the best of drivers screws up... I've certainly had my moments in 6 years and more than a thousand code 3 responses. You get the shit fixed and you move on.

Maybe not apparatus, but I've driven full length sleeper cabs with 53' trailers in to residential/no man's land for that size of vehicle. I've had to blind side back against downtown Seattle rush hour traffic just to get into a dock. I've crossed mountain passes in snow and ice not only with a single 53, but double 28's as well and pulled double 32's through lowland snow/ice, too. Now granted,i didn't have the added stress of running code, but i have had my fair share of adrenaline pumping moments when operating a large heavy vehicle. And yes, have had a fail or 2 along the way ( but by God's good grace, have never had a winter incident), but when you push all that side and get down to the nitty gritty, brass tacks behind the fail post,

It was a joke.

Thanks for playing.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
tvsjr said:

Methinks you need to relax, and don't take it personally. I am sure the vast majority of members here have driven Code 3 at one point or another, and some of them in apparatus as large, if not larger than the one pictured.

Go take a nice cool refreshing drink, and resume normal operations.

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
Zapp Brannigan said:
Methinks you need to relax, and don't take it personally. I am sure the vast majority of members here have driven Code 3 at one point or another, and some of them in apparatus as large, if not larger than the one pictured.

Go take a nice cool refreshing drink, and resume normal operations.

Agreed. Lots of stress at work, finally relieved by getting the transfer I requested. So I think a smoke and a beer are in order. And some bacon, just for the hell of it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.