Decal residue Removal

Mack2340

Aug 31, 2019
Saginaw, Michigan
i just took in a 2005 crown victoria with half the decals still on it, what is the best way to remove this? i plan on upfitting this for a small town department as a back up unit and want to make it as clean as possible, Thank you for any assistance you can render.

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
Back in the day, we would use a hair dryer to WARM (not cook) the decal. It should peel
off easily. WD40 would take care of any sticky stuff left. Wash off the area with a
Dawn/water mixture then wax.
Take your time so you don't mess up the clear coat/paint.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
@Pete L. is right.
warm the decal and subsequently the panel it is on, keep it warm as you work, pull in a 45 degree angle, pull slowly. It may take a minute or two to get hang of it but you will get the feel for it and you will succeed.
pulling faster results in tearing of the decal as does having the decal to cold or to hot.
clean up the residue with WD40 or Goo-Gone and then wash with dawn and water.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
I never had success with goo gone I had to buy this stuff from my friend who does signs and decals worked incredibly well took off all the residue, I'll find my bottle and get you a name if it has it. Worst thing about the removal of graphics is Ford's paint started peeling with their new setup.

carguy411

Oct 25, 2011
ny
Unusually heat it up with the heat gun for a few get it soft and peel it up. Using a plastic scraper in the corner Then use rapid remover. It’s a adhesive and sticker removal. Spray it on. Wait 30 - 60 sec and can wipe it and scrape with a plastic scrapper. Repeat til it’s all gone

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
There is a 3M adhesive remover, which is becoming hard to find for sale locally anymore, that I have used for this kind of work. I believe the 3M part number is 08984. The "new and improved formula" sold under part number 38984 doesn't seem to do nearly as well as the original.

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
In the detail shop I used to work in, we soul mist a rag with paint thinner and lightly buff any residue out.

I don't know what sort of tools you have access to, but for the misting we had a special can you could fill and then pressurize with an air chuck.

TDC

Lifetime VIP Donor
Dec 4, 2012
Carswell AFB, TX
Goo Gone citrus in the sprayer pump bottle (orange fluid; looks like a windex pump bottle). Spray it on, let it soak for 5-10 minutes. Peel the decal off slowly in a straight line, rub the rest of the glue off.

We had "subdued" cars with giant reflective stripes on the back ... really not the point. With permission they were removed; the new ones did not have them at all.

These decals were fairly new, like months old, but came off easy with this method. Did it in the do-it-yourself car wash bay and actually blew the rest of the coagulated glue off with soap and water spray.

I did five cars plus a bit and still have over half a bottle left. Smells good, too.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.