Detroit fire dept hiring

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010

hoisy71

Sep 10, 2011
Baltimore, MD
The application process closed last month. Was curious if any one has or was planning on going there to test. I have a written date of 12/3/13

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
hoisy71 said:
The application process closed last month. Was curious if any one has or was planning on going there to test. I have a written date of 12/3/13

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying!

Flashguy

Jan 4, 2011
United States, Florida
FSEP said:
Dear God, I hope! I don't make a single penny!

Wait, unless you meant BS?... Yeah I get paid after every call then if thats what you meant.

I was trying to lay the sarcasm on pretty thick. Glad you caught it! :haha:

I've always said you don't turn down opportunities. It is experience and a paying job...whether people in the process are fresh out of the academy or leaving a volly job...it's a step in the right direction. Side note, can DFD carry a concealed on duty? :undecided:

justavillain

Mar 7, 2013
Grand Rapids
They got safer grants to hire 150 people. I tested and maybe got 3 questions wrong. It's a simple civil service exam 100 questions

There's no need to carry on the job. Firefighters carrying is always a bad idea to me. There's enough accidental injuries. The last thing you need is to have rounds cook off while you go interior

The average 20-30 fires per shift.

mjMIff

Jun 2, 2010
Mid-Michigan
justavillain said:
They got safer grants to hire 150 people. I tested and maybe got 3 questions wrong. It's a simple civil service exam 100 questions

There's no need to carry on the job. Firefighters carrying is always a bad idea to me. There's enough accidental injuries. The last thing you need is to have rounds cook off while you go interior

The average 20-30 fires per shift.

I agree, kind of... There is no such thing as an accidental discharge, it would be negligent, not accidental.

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
For it to get the brass hot enough to transfer enough heat to ignite the gunpowder you would already be dead. Assuming you would keep it under bunker gear like you should.

justavillain

Mar 7, 2013
Grand Rapids
Very true. That's one the reasons. But we all know that this job is about planning for the worst scenario not the best.

Every day at work I never train for the fire alarm that was caused by burnt food that I show up and don't use even a water can on. I don't do a primary search when I can see out of my mask.

You need to practice for the worst and DFD has a habit of the worst there can be.

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
justavillain said:
You need to practice for the worst and DFD has a habit of the worst there can be.

I'll give you that.

What I'd like to see is them open the doors for vollies to come in and do "ride alongs" *cough cough* ride apparatus *cough cough*... I think its there best chance at saving money because I dont see them willing to become a combination department.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.