Detroit to consider "firefighter tourism"

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
theroofable said:
As if the concept of volunteering wasn't crazy enough, now they want firefighters to pay to work for them? Hahaha! What a joke!

As if there weren't 10,000 other ways to die in Detroit. :bonk:

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Hope they issue bullit proof PPE.

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
I..... honestly see where there are alot of rookies, probies and even long time guys who are on small ruaral departments who will jump at this chance. I am currently on a department that has 16 members. This department is a village department and has about a 2 square mile coverage area. They have not had a house fire in over 8 years. I being a 15 year vet in the fire service have been on a few very busy departments before moving last year. These guys would probably pay dearly to actually see a house fire. It is amazing when you tell them a story of a room and contents fire they basically rub it off at home afterwards. Not saying they wouldn't be a bad firefighter if we do ever get a house fire, but they could learn alot from doing this. even if it was defensive attacks which most fires in detroit seem to be anymore.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
ryan said:
I..... honestly see where there are alot of rookies, probies and even long time guys who are on small ruaral departments who will jump at this chance. I am currently on a department that has 16 members. This department is a village department and has about a 2 square mile coverage area. They have not had a house fire in over 8 years. I being a 15 year vet in the fire service have been on a few very busy departments before moving last year. These guys would probably pay dearly to actually see a house fire. It is amazing when you tell them a story of a room and contents fire they basically rub it off at home afterwards. Not saying they wouldn't be a bad firefighter if we do ever get a house fire, but they could learn alot from doing this. even if it was defensive attacks which most fires in detroit seem to be anymore.

It's an irresponsible concept of the Detroit Fire Chief. If he needs firefighters, he needs to stop laying them off, hire more, pay them, and provide benefits.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
WS224 said:
It's an irresponsible concept of the Detroit Fire Chief. If he needs firefighters, he needs to stop laying them off, hire more, pay them, and provide benefits.

That sounds great.

Will they be able to find somebody that is willing to put there life on the for something other than a fire?

Who's going to give him the money?

Who's going to give them benifits with that being the most dangerous city?

Who'll injure them?

And who's going to protect them when the cops won't even go into alot of the city?

Lots of quesstions to be answered here.

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
Detroit is actually a very nice city. There are bad parts of town all over, but the down town area is nice, and there is stuff to do. Its not all completely all burnt out, and everything. Yes there are tons and tons of burnt out homes and business all over, but there are nice areas in town. I am actually going to detroit the end of the month to see BURN.

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
WS224 said:
I believe it is the mayor's idea. The chief can only do so much with what he is given. I'm sure he would bring guys back tomorrow if the city would give him money.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
From the story: "The fire department has been gutted in recent years, forced to close down rigs and layoff men."

The fine print, in the waiver you sign, says, 'You are required to bring your own apparatus. If you fail to bring an apparatus, a horse-pulled, steam pump will be provided to you. Again, please bring your own hay and water.'

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.