Did Any Agency Use Any 1976 Buick Models As Police Cars?

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
I know that car Im looking at (1976 Buick Special, bottom trim of the Century) probably wasnt, due to it being a two door... But did any agencies use anything from buick in the mid 70s

If anybody has information, or better yet PICTURES! I would love to hear or see! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan

R2knee

Mar 26, 2013
sw ohio
The Warren County Ohio Sheriffs Dept. used Buick LeSabres in the late 70s and early 80s.Not sure of the exact model years they had but I can find out. I know they were equipped with Fed Sig visibars with twin beacon rays,one red and one blue with a speaker mounted in the middle.Their entire fleet was Buicks back then.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
R2knee said:
The Warren County Ohio Sheriffs Dept. used Buick LeSabres in the late 70s and early 80s.Not sure of the exact model years they had but I can find out. I know they were equipped with Fed Sig visibars with twin beacon rays,one red and one blue with a speaker mounted in the middle.Their entire fleet was Buicks back then.

That would be great information! Id love to see a picture, if you know of any way to obtain one!

R2knee

Mar 26, 2013
sw ohio
I'll see if I can find anything. My buddy runs the county garage.I'll get up with him in a day or two, see what he can come up with. :D

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
R2knee said:
I'll see if I can find anything. My buddy runs the county garage.I'll get up with him in a day or two, see what he can come up with. :D

Much appreciated! :thumbsup:

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Tristar said:
Just out of curiosity - why would a PD have Buicks vs any of the vehicles they can get with a police or taxi package?

I don't know. Thats why I'm here asking the pros these questions :yes:

Buick being GM, Im sure they could throw a package together. I don't know why police agencies ever used Gremlins or any other goofy cars like that, but I know they did!

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
7d9_z28 said:

Buick being GM, Im sure they could throw a package together. I don't know why police agencies ever used Gremlins or any other goofy cars like that, but I know they did!

Throwing a package together for a vehicle that normally wouldn't be offered with it would be very pricey. I'm guessing Gremlins and other vehicles like that were used as a cost savings.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Tristar said:
Throwing a package together for a vehicle that normally wouldn't be offered with it would be very pricey. I'm guessing Gremlins and other vehicles like that were used as a cost savings.

Well, not sure what to tell you.

Its already apparent as per the posts above that it has been done.

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
7d9_z28 said:
Well, not sure what to tell you.

Its already apparent as per the posts above that it has been done.

Yes, I understand...I'm just guessing that they weren't police package vehicles.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
7d9_z28 said:
I know that car Im loking at (1976 Buick Special, bottom trim of the Century) probably wasnt, due to it being a two door... But did any agencies use anything from buick in the mid 70s? If anybody has information, or better yet PICTURES! I would love to hear or see! :cool:

It would be a good for use as an unmarked car for plainclothes officers or for highway patrol.

FIREMODELMAN

Oct 20, 2011
USA. OHIO
R2knee said:

Butler County used them as well. Most of the fleet at the time was Dodge, but I've been told that when Sheriff Walton took over he just had to have a Buick. I've been in a 'hunt' so to speak for a 1/25 scale to do a model of, but no luck. :cry:

justavillain

Mar 7, 2013
Grand Rapids
Tristar said:

I'm not sure about Gremlins but I know the AMC Javelin was used as a police ppv. The officers use to put gravel behind the front wheel well liner to help stop the front end from lifting

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
7d9_z28 said:

Ft Lauderdale, Fl used AMC Matadors in the '70s. When running code and turning hard the hub caps would go rolling away.

The units were a copper color.

no pun intended

no pics, sorry.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
From the early '60s thru the mid-70s at least, the Ector Co. Sheriff's Office in Odessa used Buick Electras and LeSabres for their patrol vehicles. That was because longtime sheriff "Slim" Gabrel liked the luxury of the Buicks, and the commissioners went along with what Slim wanted. But because of their resale value you didn't see much in the way of emergency equipment. These cars were equipped with red bumper lights and Federal 28 sirens underhood. It wouldn't be until the late '70s or maybe even early '80s once Slim had retired that the S.O. began using lightbars and electronic sirens.

Ditto for Midland County. The late Ed (Big Ed) Darnell was sheriff in Midland County for more than 40 years when he finally decided to retire in the mid-70s. Big Ed loved the luxury of the big Chryslers, so at the very least, he drove a Chrysler Newport. His car would have red bumper lights but no siren. The last cars to even have sirens under his administration were a pair of 1960 Ford sedans that had red bumper lights and Federal 28 sirens underhood. From that point on until Darnell retired, no Midland S.O. unit had a siren. One weekend when I was home from Texas Tech I happened to be listening to my scanner, and an S.O. unit was trying to respond on a domestic call. Apparently he got bogged down at a particular intersection because he could be heard to say, "Headquarters, call the P.D. and have them ask the unit that's in front of me to please move. I don't have a siren and he's ignoring my red lights and my horn." Another things, the Midland County units were unmarked...no signs or graphics.

Darnell was replaced by Dallas Smith, a former DPS officer. One of the first things he did was to equip all the units with lightbars and sirens, and each car had appropriate graphics. Like the old saying...."they've come a long way, baby!"

TDC

Lifetime VIP Donor
Dec 4, 2012
Carswell AFB, TX
I used to live in a City that had Oldsmobile Delta 88s, c.1984. Sharp looking cars even in brown. I understand, however, that the buy included 5 patrol cars and eventually and extra 6 transmissions.

The were in service during the year Wisconsin switched to Red and Blue... they started with all short Red Code 3 XLs, and the Blue on the passenger side was refitted later.

I can only guess why a politician might approve a buy of a special type car.

One of the area Buick dealers did "build" cars for the Feds. It included some HD upgrades and adding a second driver seat in lieu of the split bench front seat, to make it like two bucket seats. But those were not marked cars.

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
Skip Goulet said:
Nice....but that big Spitfire beacon looks too big for that car!

Maybe so, but the car is clearly a restoration and the RV-26 looks pristine, so obviously some love went into it. :)

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
R2knee said:

[Broken External Image]:https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/480227_275778225849286_887369459_n.jpg

The Ohio State Patrol used them in '81

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
Skip Goulet said:
Nice....but that big Spitfire beacon looks too big for that car!

I grew up near Peekskill, and I rode with the VAC there. I'm ashamed to say that I don't recall the Buick PD cars, but I do remember the Spitfire lights on their cars.

flahotrod

Aug 1, 2011
Florida
I can't say for sure, but it seems like NYPD had Buick Regals (like Kojak's) for some of their patrol units I the mid/late 70's. An agency that large would have quite a mixed fleet of vehicles as they would buy them in lots as needed throughout the year.

Sometimes Buick would be the low bidder, sometimes Plymouth, Dodge, Chevy, Ford, etc.

It is usually always a matter of which dealership (not necessarily manufacturer) could place the lowest bid for the requirements set out by the purchasing agency.

In the agency I worked for, we would set out the specs we wanted and provide them to our local dealers through their fleet sales depts. They would then provided us with bids. Almost always, lowest bid won.

Another option is for smaller agencies to jump on the state bid. I think all states put out spec sheets for their state agencies (highway patrol) and other agencies could buy the same specified vehicles at the same price. That is why it would not be unusual for an agency in one area of the state to have vehicles purchased through and delivered by a dealership in another part of the state.

fyrboy

May 24, 2010
NC
flahotrod said:
Almost always, lowest bid won.
Dodge dealer I went to church with submitted a bid to NC in the '70's for HP cars. After sharpening his pencil to the finest of points, he lost the bid. He would've made $98 profit on each car had he won the bid. He never played that game again.

R2knee

Mar 26, 2013
sw ohio
7d9_z28 said:
That would be great information! Id love to see a picture, if you know of any way to obtain one!

Talked to my friend today, he told me Warren Co. Sheriffs Office purchased a fleet of 1979 Buick LeSabres and ran them until 84 or 85. He doesn't know of any reason why they purchased Buicks over the more popular makes for police cars other than the Buick dealer was the low bidder. The cars were equipped with 350,4 barrel engines and turbo 350 trannies.He doesnt remember any type of "police package" options on them. He did tell me they used to add shims to the external oil pump to beef up the oil pressure, but if they went too far the oil filter would swell up like a balloon ! They ran the cars with "Stars and double bubbles" ( sheriffs star decal on the front doors and visibar with twin beacon rays). And for all the collectors out there,he told me "you wouldn't believe how many of those bars and lights they threw in the dumpster. :duh: He doesn't have any pics of the old Buicks himself but knows someone who might. He will be getting back to me on that.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Thank you!

Thanks everyone, for bringing this information to the table! If you have any more, bring it on!

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Tristar said:
Just out of curiosity - why would a PD have Buicks vs any of the vehicles they can get with a police or taxi package?

It was very common in the 80's and 90's to use non package cars. In the Dallas Ft. Worth area various cities used Volvos, Pontiac Bonevilles, Chevrolet Monte Carlo's, 6cyl Box Caprice's, 2 door Caprice;s, and Pick Up Trucks. Florida Highway Patrol used Mercury Marauders.

Even now we see Challengers, Mustangs, and Pick Ups.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1370710138.864737.jpg

Who luvs ya, baby. Kojac on the streets of NYC.

The 70s saw a lot of great cop cars...after the energy crisis and EPA emission controls, the playing field for cop cars was leveled--performance generally sucked and everyone was trying to downsize. In my college days, I worked at a Pontiac dealer and he wanted to sell the LeMans cop car package to the local constabulary (twin cousin to the Century ala Smokey and the Bandit). He let me outfit it for a demo, but the Ford dealer had a lock and sold them LTD IIs.... I still don't know which is uglier....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1370710396.646291.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1370710423.849507.jpg

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
R2knee said:
Talked to my friend today, he told me Warren Co. Sheriffs Office purchased a fleet of 1979 Buick LeSabres and ran them until 84 or 85. He doesn't know of any reason why they purchased Buicks over the more popular makes for police cars other than the Buick dealer was the low bidder. The cars were equipped with 350,4 barrel engines and turbo 350 trannies.He doesnt remember any type of "police package" options on them. He did tell me they used to add shims to the external oil pump to beef up the oil pressure, but if they went too far the oil filter would swell up like a balloon ! They ran the cars with "Stars and double bubbles" ( sheriffs star decal on the front doors and visibar with twin beacon rays). And for all the collectors out there,he told me "you wouldn't believe how many of those bars and lights they threw in the dumpster. :duh: He doesn't have any pics of the old Buicks himself but knows someone who might. He will be getting back to me on that.

That's not as bad as the number of Qs and other motor-driven sirens and beacon ray lights that got tossed back in the mid-60s to early '70s when everyone starting going to lightbars. A friend of mine in OK who sells firetrucks built up a good collection when he started digging Qs and other sirens and lights out of the dumpsters where he called on fire chiefs trying to sell new firetrucks and ambulances back then. His good fortune for sure, but what a waste.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.