Did I get a good deal/Help me refinish this Jotto console?

Stimpy911

Nov 23, 2011
USA / Michigan
I am getting this Ford Explorer console for 50 bucks plus shipping from a guy over on the Ford Explorer forums. It needs a little cleaning but its what I've been looking for.

What do ya think?

uploadfromtaptalk1418361710196.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
You priced them lately on Ebay.? Go for more than that used.

Hit it with a sand blaster and repaint good has new.

Get some stainless steal screws and you're good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jul 14, 2014
NV
Sandblaster is quickest, otherwise wire brush, then sandpaper. Looks like it's been sitting outside, so probably want to take it down to bare metal, then primer and flat black.

Stimpy911

Nov 23, 2011
USA / Michigan
I

This weekend I am going to start cleaning up a Jotto console that was given to me. I wanted to start a new thread for this. I had another posting about the console in general. This one is about cleaning it up.

It was sitting in a garage so it has some surface rust. I have already removed the switch box. Hoping that still functions. Here are my questions?

What should I use to clear up the rust? One person said to use a wire brush and take it down to the metal and prime and paint. If I use a wire brush will it scratch up the surface?

Any special type of spray paint I should purchase?

Thanks in advance!

jmccarthy

Nov 9, 2013
ne ohio
I

This weekend I am going to start cleaning up a Jotto console that was given to me. I wanted to start a new thread for this. I had another posting about the console in general. This one is about cleaning it up.

It was sitting in a garage so it has some surface rust. I have already removed the switch box. Hoping that still functions. Here are my questions?

What should I use to clear up the rust? One person said to use a wire brush and take it down to the metal and prime and paint. If I use a wire brush will it scratch up the surface?

Any special type of spray paint I should purchase?

Thanks in advance!
Wire wheel on an angle grinder to remove the rust, filler primer, look for an automotive paint ie ford tuxedo black in a rattle can, your local carquest auto parts should be able to make it, two coats the first one a light coat and the second a light to medium coat to avoid drip marks, finally clearcoat.

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
That's a Jotto Desk console, not a Havis... observe the Jotto Desk stickers and pre-drilled rails.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.