Did we get hosed? F250 Freedom Questions

bobcoop06

May 25, 2010
Indiana
Hey all, I'm looking for a little insight on an install that my VFD just got done. It's on a 2008 Ford F250 XL utility truck. Up until recently it only had a mini bar and four corner strobes. We sent it off to the local fire service equipment dealer to get a light package that matches our 2012 F350 brush truck. Everything was quoted as the "updated" version of the brush truck. The brush truck has a 57" Freedom bar and M4's for perimeter lighting. The F250 was quoted for a 55" Freedom IV WeCan bar with four inboard front modules (2 red, 2 white), two red inboard rear modules, and red corners. We paid $3234 for this bar. We also had two red M4' installed in the grille, and two on each side of the truck. Now for the questions...

We got the truck yesterday and it has a 44" bar on it, not the 55" that was quoted. They are stating that the 55 doesn't fit and the 44 is all they could use. They also stated there is not price difference between the two bars. Are we being mislead?

The bar was also supposed to only activate the white lights when in drive per NFPA, this is not the case. They are now stating that the white cutoff is difficult to do with Ford's. Again... Truthful?

Last thing, we spent just under six grand ($5,935.81) for a Freedom bar, and six M4's with installation. I know it's a little late to ask now, but did we get hosed?

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
You didn't get what you paid for that's for sure. Both in equipment and install (install for white cut off- that's a one wire hookup)

I'll let others chime in with more details.

Reactions: Tony P and C17LVFD

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
I'm not familiar with FedSig pricing but I'd say they are lying to you about the lightbar. I don't know of any manufacturer that the price is the same regardless of length. 55" should fit up there without any problems. Sounds like maybe they had a lightbar sitting around they wanted to unload or ordered the wrong size and don't want to fess up to the mistake.

As far as park kill for the white lights, could be telling the truth. If it's a civilian model we usually just have a button to kill the white so we aren't trying to hunt down the park wire. We usually do not splice into factory wiring, except the headlights, on civilian model vehicles to ensure if their is a mechanical problem with the vehicle the dealership/manufacturer can not claim damage do to our install and void the warranty. Even if our wiring did not cause problems.

As far as pricing I sent you a PM.

bobcoop06

May 25, 2010
Indiana
Thanks guys. You're pretty much confirming what I already suspected. Any Whelen dealers want to advise if pricing for a 44" and 55" Freedom are the same? Also, are there any dealers that service Northern Indiana that would like a new customer?

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
Wait... Let me get this straight.
-The F350 has a 57" Freedom. They saw the F250 and quoted you for a 55" Freedom. Then they turn around and installed a 44" Freedom.
-They are claiming there is no price difference between a 55" and 44" Freedom?
-They didn't wire a "park kill" to cut out white flashing lights and siren.

So, if this is correct.
-They're Full of $hit
-They're Full of $hit ...is the 44" Freedom a WECAN? I wouldn't be surprised if they ripped you off on that too.
-They're Most Likely Full of $hit
-It maybe more difficult because it's not prewired like a police car, but you can still grab a park signal and wire it. They're Full of $hit.

Seriously, the town solicitor needs to get involved and you need to get what you paid for and requested.

Reactions: Tony P

code352

May 26, 2010
Ontario, Canada
As per the whelen price list, the base lightbars are the same price in the standard lengths.

F4W4**** 44.5", 4 Red, Blue, Amber and/or White, Single or Two Color Over/Under Modules 1952.00
F4W8**** 49.25", 4 Red, Blue, Amber and/or White, Single or Two Color Over/Under Modules 1952.00
F4W2**** 55", 4 Red, Blue, Amber and/or White, Single or Two Color Over/Under Modules 1952.00

bobcoop06

May 25, 2010
Indiana
Yes, all of that would be correct. Now the next issue... they bolted the mounting feet to the roof, about 10 inches in from either side of the roof. The guy that picked the truck up is now telling me that the lightbar was causing the roof to "flop in the wind" while driving back. The bar that is on the brush truck has some stainless straps that come down off the mounting feet for stabilization, this does not.

We talked to the owner of the company, and they are going to replace the bar, but keep the mounting feet as is to avoid drilling more holes. Do I need to worry about this thing flapping the roof while driving? WTF!!!

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
no no no...that is all bad. I would prepare your department to get a Lawyer, because this sounds like a 100% Botched job.

bobcoop06

May 25, 2010
Indiana
I think it's going to get taken care. It's pretty much a total clusterf*** by a couple of their "techs", but sounds like it will be resolved. Unfortunately it took some proving them wrong, and going above their heads to get it rectified. It's actually a fairly large and reputable company that did this job, and it seems they want to keep it that way. They are ordering a new lightbar, and coming to pick up the truck and send it down to Indy to their main office and dedicated light shop. The scary part is I wonder how often work like this gets accepted by the customer who doesn't know any better.

Reactions: NVFD612 and Tony P
Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
This is awesome on so many levels. The feet for lightbar should be located at the strongest part of the roof, which is where the structural members are at the edge. I would really like to know who these "techs" were.

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
The fact that they bolted a small bar to the roof rather than using the appropriate size bar, (as recommended by Whelen), using a hook mount kit, (also recommended by Whelen), and couldn't perform some basic wiring on a basic vehicle, is absolutely incredible.

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
I would also make sure they gave you the Wecan bar and not a LC model. They charged you list price FFS. If it's a WeCan bar, they can program an input wire to turn off the white modules. What siren is being used with it?

bobcoop06

May 25, 2010
Indiana
I would also make sure they gave you the Wecan bar and not a LC model. They charged you list price FFS. If it's a WeCan bar, they can program an input wire to turn off the white modules. What siren is being used with it?

I'm fairly certain that the bar is in fact Wecan, but I will definitely double check. There was a cheapo Galls branded siren/switch kit installed previously, with whatever crappy siren and speaker they provide and a 6 function switchbox. This remained in place while they added the lightbar and perimeter lights. For 6 grand

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
I'm fairly certain that the bar is in fact Wecan, but I will definitely double check. There was a cheapo Galls branded siren/switch kit installed previously, with whatever crappy siren and speaker they provide and a 6 function switchbox. This remained in place while they added the lightbar and perimeter lights. For 6 grand
It would have cost you less to drive the truck to me for the install.

NVFD612

May 25, 2010
Indiana
At this rate you could have driven it to Greencastle to a Whelen Distributor, or to Lafayette to a Feniex/Sound Off Dealer... Glad "they" are trying to make things right!

Dennis
NVFD 612

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.