Diesel CVPI

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
This is not mine i just found it on the net i wonder if its good on gas mileage. :geek:

Stendec

May 21, 2010
Makes sense to me, if they put an appropriate engine and made an effort to reprogram the transmission and make sure the rear end ratio was right. I'm assuming that it's a "real" diesel and not an experiment in biodiesel. I don't know if it would be that cost effective in the long run, but for an agency that puts a quarter million miles on their cars it might pay off.

Certainly isn't any worse than propane/CNG conversions.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I wish there were more videos on this but thats all i found i wonder if it hauls a** :cool:

Boss429

May 21, 2010
Pennsylvania
TheGatekeeper said:
Amazing.
What does 4BT mean ? Is that a Ford Diesel engine (ie : pickup truck one?)

Definitely not a Ford Powerstroke Diesel. I can tell by sound.

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
IIRC, when Ford last upgraded the Crown Vic, they made just enough room to drop their V-10 truck engine into the compartment. The idea was that a detuned V-10 would still be plenty fast. Ford never dropped the engine into the CV but someone did and converted it to run on propane. Even on propane it hauled ass. I've always wondered how much performance you'd get out of a full V-10 install in a Crown Vic.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Thanks Brian.

Ouch 170 hp in a CV might be a little light... especially on a 4 cylinder plant.

BigDogg795

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
TheGatekeeper said:
Thanks Brian.

Ouch 170 hp in a CV might be a little light... especially on a 4 cylinder plant.

Maybe, but then again, even the 4.6 was never a real HP motor...it was pushing like 225 at one point, wasn't it?

Now the torque...I want to know how much torque that sucker puts out!

CFD125

May 21, 2010
Carver, Mass.
I always wondered why they never put the 5.4 engine in the CVPI's. It's basically the same engine as the 4.6, but supposedly more powerful.

Boss429

May 21, 2010
Pennsylvania
CFD125 said:
I always wondered why they never put the 5.4 engine in the CVPI's. It's basically the same engine as the 4.6, but supposedly more powerful.

The 5.4L engine is made with the same block as the 4.6L. However, the 5.4L is bored and has a bigger stroke, thus making more power.

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
The 4BT Cummins are great engines. I know a guy who has 1 in a ranger. He is averaging 22-24 mpg highway. His ranger is also lifted 6" though and running 3.73 gearing. And you just can't beat the sound of a cummins.

Park piggy, he probably ran the exhaust out like that because of clearance issues. Especially on a sedan he would probably hit and pinch the 3" exhaust on a sharp slope change. Not to mention it would look terrible.

BigDogg795

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
CFD125 said:

Boss429 said:
The 5.4L engine is made with the same block as the 4.6L. However, the 5.4L is bored and has a bigger stroke, thus making more power.

Voila!

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
Station3, a 4BT can't really haul ass. For most applications, they top out in the 80 mph area. Although they do produce a good amount of torque. That is the only time I've seen a Jeep Wrangler compete in and do well in a sled pull.

skleppy

Apr 29, 2011
Canada
John Hearne said:
IIRC, when Ford last upgraded the Crown Vic, they made just enough room to drop their V-10 truck engine into the compartment. The idea was that a detuned V-10 would still be plenty fast. Ford never dropped the engine into the CV but someone did and converted it to run on propane. Even on propane it hauled ass. I've always wondered how much performance you'd get out of a full V-10 install in a Crown Vic.

Not true...they did put V-10s into a limited number of cars that went to police agencies for testing only then they were returned to Ford. I remember seeing an RCMP car in Langley with the V-10 emblems on the side of it and I wanted to ask if I could look under the hood but they were headed back to the highway to go to a call. When they got on the highway, I will guarentee that it was a V-10 under the hood. I've seen race cars that take off slower than how fast that thing rocketed away from me.

If I remeber correctly, it was in the 2003 - 2004 area somewhere where Ford toyed with the idea of a V-10 for a high speed pursuit car.

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
TheGatekeeper said:
Thanks Brian.

Diesel engines are all about torque, not horsepower. The 4BT is basically the same engine as the Cummins 6-cylinder that's been in Dodges forever with 2 cylinders missing. The same thing goes for the 5.4/6.8 V10- they have identical bores and strokes, it's just the V10 has 2 more cylinders.

got_yogurt

May 21, 2010
BC, Canada
skleppy said:
Not true...they did put V-10s into a limited number of cars that went to police agencies for testing only then they were returned to Ford. I remember seeing an RCMP car in Langley with the V-10 emblems on the side of it and I wanted to ask if I could look under the hood but they were headed back to the highway to go to a call. When they got on the highway, I will guarentee that it was a V-10 under the hood. I've seen race cars that take off slower than how fast that thing rocketed away from me.

If I remeber correctly, it was in the 2003 - 2004 area somewhere where Ford toyed with the idea of a V-10 for a high speed pursuit car.

That V-10 badge was put there as a joke. It is a regular crown vic.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v243_got_yogurt_FedSig.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.