Dietz 235 Electronic Siren-Light

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
While swapping out old radios for a fire department, I came across one of these. Seems to be a pretty old unit, Im guessing from the 60's. Anyone see one of these around? The radio was also a classic 4 channel crystal radio. ai737.photobucket.com_albums_xx13_theroofable_photo_10.jpg

ai737.photobucket.com_albums_xx13_theroofable_photo_12.jpg

ai737.photobucket.com_albums_xx13_theroofable_photo_11.jpg

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
I thought about offering them a swap. I didnt turn it on because it was pretty early in the morning, anyone have a clip of it? Is it uncommon? I have only seen the older pa model sirens around here in the older trucks. This was a 1970s f250 brush truck.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
The siren looks to be mid-1960s vintage, and I think it was designed to be used in conjunction with the Dietz speaker/light of that period. The light was a 711 (or 211) mounted to a low-profile radial horn type speaker base. Someone on the forum probably has one of those lights or a picture of it.

rickcallebs

Dec 29, 2011
USA Ohio
For what its worth, the radio in question is a Regency BTH-204. 4 channel, VHF high band (150-174 MHz) and about 20 watts output. Back in the day, that was the bottom of the barrel for cheap, low powered radio equipment. That radio was eventually replaced by Regency's Microcom series, which offered higher power and slightly better electronics inside the metal case. I've seen several of those sirens years ago, but don't have much specific info about them. Nice find!

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Yes, it was quite the upgrade from that. It was working in good condition too. It was replaced with a Kenwood TK-2360. The truck was a 70-80s model ford f250, not sure on the specific year. Its always interesting to see whats around when everyone is switching to new radios to narrow band!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.