Dietz 240-1-WW "Hill Light"

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
Unknowingly picked up a rare Dietz hill light. 240-1-WW. -1 signifies bar mount (has a full metal bottom vs just an edge for roof stripping). -WW (wig-wag aka hill liggt) signifies one bulb holder has a 10deg upward focus and other holder a 10deg downward focus. Weird to have juat a two-bulb hill light so I assume this was designed to be mounted on a crossbar paired with a standard 240-1 to provide full level and hill coverage.

Originally thought the bulb holders were bent but thanks to @cmb56 for help identifying this wasn't the case and for below literature pic. Thanks to @lotsofbars for help too. Now to try to find a correct clear dome (iso post made in wanted parts forum).

7D38937E-7046-460B-B5E5-125A791872CE.jpeg
33EDA6CB-88B6-4E96-ACB0-CBE528DA5066.jpeg6D92FD4C-02C3-43FF-AC34-58E502DDC2DB.jpeg

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Interesting and unusual. The two-bulb hill lights are not particularly common items, those designed for mounting on a bar, even less common. Federal Signal had a hill version of their Model 14 too, it had one bulb mounted level, the other tilted up 10 degrees. These too are rarely seen items.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Speaking of 2 beams hill lights, I have one that was made by Dominion Auto, as far as I can tell, for the Toronto airport police to be seen by aircrafts while on the tarmac.

2 beams only, both tilted upward.

I'll dig up pics later.

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
I seem to recall reading a brochure about this type of light being designed for airport use also. the upward beam was for cockpit visibility while taxiing etc. the downward angled beam would create a circular beam of light on the ground around the vehicle that could be seen from the air. supposedly

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
When I first got my Tripp Lite S-75 "hill" beacon, it had both par36 bulbs tilted upward while the par46 bulbs were on the horizontal plane. Definitely used at an airport before I got it and returned it back to the original configuration.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.