Dietz 7-11 & Dietz 2-11 lights

Oct 28, 2010
Kingston NY
Howdy group:

What is the difference between these two lights? They both look the same to me, have 4 bulbs each. Is it the motor speed? Will the lenses interchange with each other?

Thanks in advance

Charlie

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Charlie, At some point Dietz changed their # system They are essentially the same light. The 7-11 is an updated version of the 2-11. The internal parts were changed to make bulb change easier, for example. Same size, same lens. The #s were also changed on their other designs 2-61 / 7-61 and 2-40 / 7-40

Dan

Peter F

May 21, 2010
Nova Scotia , Canada
I Have a 2-11 and a 7-11 the 2-11 is a hill light with the tilted bulbs. the 7-11 has the straight bulbs. That being said . I have several dietz beacons with 2-11 and they are the straight bulbs . I contacted John Dorgan who I thought would have the best explaination and he told me the 2-11 was the hill light . I am still at a loss as to why so many of those lights were misslabled or If they did infact change the model number on later lights . I think that Johns explaination makes the most sense.I know that I have seen many dietz 2-11's on fleabay that had the straight bulbs .

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Both the 2-11, and the 7-11 had hill light versions. This was designated by an extra #. The # that comes to mind is 6, but not sure. 2-116 / 7-116.

One of their other models, the 7-61 had a magnetic version 7-614. The 4 was the magnetic mount code. I know this for a fact, because I have a NOS 7-614.

Now to further muddy the water, I also have a NOS 7-61 that is magnetic. No #4 on the end of the #.

Seems to me that their numbering system did change at one point, but was not consistant.

Dan

ny04350

Aug 12, 2010
Hudson Valley, NY
The Dietz 2-11 hill light was the 2-11WW. Around 1970, they changed the numbering system to the 7- series. The light remained the same but was changed to the 7-11. The hill light was 7-116 with the new system.

Also, the "serial" number on these lights is actually the build date code, so you can see when the light was actually made. They were all usually the '15th' of the month, so its more of a build month than an actual build date.

You can see on the 2-11 tag, it has space for additional stamping. If it were a hill light, WW would have been stamped there. I have one, just don't have a photo of it right now. The 7-11 tag does not have the extra space, it would have a different tag, 7-116 printed out.

P4252482.jpg

P5021027.jpg

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
The model designations did change over the years. As best as I have been able to determine:

Standard beacons:

211 1959-1969

7-110 1970-1979

7-11 1980-1990

Hill light beacons:

211 WW 1963-1969

7-11 1970-1990

Retaining bands on pre-1980 beacons will usually be stamped "Dietz 211" and the brass data plate will be the actual model number of the beacon.

The brass data plates were dropped in 1980 and the retaining bands were stamped "Dietz 7-11".

Signal Stat purchased Dietz in 1990. I do not think any hill lights were marketed under the Signal Stat brand. The standard beacon became the 311 under Signal Stat.

So there is plenty of confusion, then mix in some retaining rings getting swapped around during maintenance or by people putting together beacons from parts in order to sell them. Yes, that does happen. I have one that has the bottom lamp holder of a hill light, the top lamp holder of a standard, and the retaining band from 235 siren-light. :crazy:

Oct 28, 2010
Kingston NY
stansdds said:
The model designations did change over the years. As best as I have been able to determine:
Standard beacons:

211 1959-1969

7-110 1970-1979

7-11 1980-1990

Hill light beacons:

211 WW 1963-1969

7-11 1970-1990

Retaining bands on pre-1980 beacons will usually be stamped "Dietz 211" and the brass data plate will be the actual model number of the beacon.

The brass data plates were dropped in 1980 and the retaining bands were stamped "Dietz 7-11".

Signal Stat purchased Dietz in 1990. I do not think any hill lights were marketed under the Signal Stat brand. The standard beacon became the 311 under Signal Stat.

So there is plenty of confusion, then mix in some retaining rings getting swapped around during maintenance or by people putting together beacons from parts in order to sell them. Yes, that does happen. I have one that has the bottom lamp holder of a hill light, the top lamp holder of a standard, and the retaining band from 235 siren-light. :crazy:
Thank you all very much for explaining the differences in these lights...

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
My 211 WW is numbered 031569, motor is also 1969, so it seems to be all matching. Is the motor in yours dated 1967?

rick h.

May 21, 2010
Green Bank WV.
Thanks for posting the info folks . I think maybe I will have to look for a 4 beam light that looks like a 2-11 that was on the first Fire Truck that I drove as a Vollie .A 1956 Chev. Fire Truck ,or Could the beacon on a 56 also have been a dietz ?

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Equipment on fire apparatus often gets changed during the life of the vehicle. A 1956 unit most likely was originally equipped with a Beacon Ray, the 17 was the most common, but the 173 was an option. If it had a Dietz 211 beacon, that had to have been added at a later date as the 211 was introduced in 1959.

rick h.

May 21, 2010
Green Bank WV.
stansdds said:
Equipment on fire apparatus often gets changed during the life of the vehicle. A 1956 unit most likely was originally equipped with a Beacon Ray, the 17 was the most common, but the 173 was an option. If it had a Dietz 211 beacon, that had to have been added at a later date as the 211 was introduced in 1959.

Thanks for the info stansdds .I started on the Fire Dept. in 77 and it was on the truck than ,along with two fender mounted 77's siren/light combo. .I miss that old truck .It would run circles around the newest truck we had at the time which was a 77 Ford

CFD125

May 21, 2010
Carver, Mass.
The Signal Stat 311 (formerly Dietz 211, then 711) went on to live one more life as a Trucklight 311.

It was still available as of the year 2002, when I bought one with a clear dome, and red bulbs, for one of our brushbreakers.

I got it at a warehouse in Boston, and they had it right in stock.

They are not available now, but I did just find an NOS red lens for one...at the same warehouse!!

It was a Trucklight 8908 lens, renumbered in it's original Signal Stat box.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
This is a copy of my answer in an earlier post in 2010:

The patent for this light is filed in 1960 and granted in 1964.

The original model number was 211 and not 2-11.

The version with tilted beams was 211-WW.

In 1970 Dietz changed model numbers on their whole product range.

The 211 become 7-11 or infact 7-110 with chromed brass base and 7-114 with stainless steel base.

The 211-WW become 7-116.

The 7-110 with magnetic base was 7-112 (old number 211-M).

If there is a serial number on the name plate the last digits indicate the manufacturing year. At least the year when the name plate was made. Sometimes it do not correspond to the date of manufacture of the light, but close.

In 1980 the name plate was canceled and the model number was only stamped to the lens ring.

They also change the blue colour from a light blue shade to a SAE blue shade that year.

fyr1075k

May 23, 2010
Hudson Valley New York
OK, NOW I have a question. I picked up a Dietz 211 brass tag, blah, blah, BUT it is one with an chrome raised base. Its not a homemade version either, the lights chrome base has an inset on the bottom where the smaller base fits into. I have the gasket too. I will have to get some pics up, but the only thing I think that may be close to this was the newer signal stat nypd type lights.

Has anyone ever heard of one of these before? Was this an option?

Thanks for the help gang.

Anthony

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
fyr1075k said:
OK, NOW I have a question. I picked up a Dietz 211 brass tag, blah, blah, BUT it is one with an chrome raised base. Its not a homemade version either, the lights chrome base has an inset on the bottom where the smaller base fits into. I have the gasket too. I will have to get some pics up, but the only thing I think that may be close to this was the newer signal stat nypd type lights.

Has anyone ever heard of one of these before? Was this an option?

Thanks for the help gang.

Anthony
Like this?

Dan

$(KGrHqEOKo4E1ruwCdO0BNfV3lGrbw~~_3.jpg

fyr1075k

May 23, 2010
Hudson Valley New York
Give that man a Cigar ! !

That's it ! Just when you think you have seen all the stuff we collect . . .

I ordered a clear dome for it. I'll post some photos when its done.

Thanks again.

Anthony

Oct 28, 2010
Kingston NY
fyr1075k said:
Give that man a Cigar ! !

That's it ! Just when you think you have seen all the stuff we collect . . .

I ordered a clear dome for it. I'll post some photos when its done.

Thanks again.

Anthony
Now that is a cool light... I love the Dietz 2-11 and 7-11's and am a sucker when I see them for sale.

fyr1075k

May 23, 2010
Hudson Valley New York
Thanks, it is pretty cool. I just never saw an old advertisement for one, never new the existed. Probably due to upbringing as we were a "federal" house (LOL), and yes Ryan Twinsonics are less confusing, back in the 70's my Dad was sporting a Twinsonic (replaced his CJ 184 Speaker Light). I still have his Twinsonic on display.

Anthony

ny04350

Aug 12, 2010
Hudson Valley, NY
I'm not sure if that raised base on the Dietz light above is correct or if it was cobbled together from other parts.

Here is a factory correct raised Dietz on a restored 1971 Plymouth NYNJ Port Authority PD car. NYPD also used this base on their Signal Stat lights in 1972. As you can see, these bases are flanged outward.

DSC00661-vi.jpg

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Actually,what I remember from the lights, and catalogs from the 1960s and 1970s, the raised base on the first Dietz light is a Dietz factory riser base. I never saw the tapered base on a Dietz light. It looks like a Signal Stat riser from that period. That being said, I could have missed something somewhere. I could be wrong. Does anybody have a vintage Dietz, and a vintage Signal Stat catalog?

Dan

fyr1075k

May 23, 2010
Hudson Valley New York
The PAPD base looks like a chromed Signal Stat base. I am sure there were a few configurations. I have exactly what Dan has pictured, the base is straight. In any case thanks neighbor (ny04350, I am in the Hudson Valley too) and everyone else. I guess we will know for sure once we find a catalog cut sheet.

Anthony

acousticman

Nov 5, 2011
US Salem,VA
I remember the City of Richmond, VA police having the Dietz 211 on the chrome pedestal on the traffic enforcement cars so the beacon beams cleared the Federal Signal fiberglass flare siren speakers. I was too young at the time to photograph any.

Too bad. They were the only units to be done in this manner. I think they also had some of the Dietz speaker light combination. The fiberglass parts were painted to match the vehicle colors. The fire department had the speaker light combination as well, painted red.

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
acousticman said:
I remember the City of Richmond, VA police having the Dietz 211 on the chrome pedestal on the traffic enforcement cars so the beacon beams cleared the Federal Signal fiberglass flare siren speakers. I was too young at the time to photograph any.
Too bad. They were the only units to be done in this manner. I think they also had some of the Dietz speaker light combination. The fiberglass parts were painted to match the vehicle colors. The fire department had the speaker light combination as well, painted red.

You're absolutely right! I worked for a short time with the Richmond Bureau of Police as a NAO in the early eighties (back when we wore "silver tan" uniforms w/brown trim). By that time of course, everything was TwinSonics and AeroDynics, but there were pictures in the various precincts from the "bad old days" showing RPD cars with the speaker/light combos. Dietz Model 235 weren't they?

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.