Dietz 7-116 Beacon!

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
I jumped on this beacon on FB for a STEAL, and it did NOT disappoint. This is the "hill light" version of the regular Dietz 7-11 beacon, designated as model 7-116. The dome is in 8/10 condition, with only mild scuffs and some dust on the inside. The base is painted (you can see where some of the paint has peeled), but the paint shouldn't be difficult to remove. This will be an easy restoration, as there isn't really much to restore and it's fully functional. I'm going to give it a bath, remove the paint, and buff the chrome. It's an older model too, with the motor dated 1965. I've wanted one of these forever, and I'm glad I can finally share this giant old light with all of you.
IMG_5492.jpgIMG_5493.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5492.jpg
    IMG_5492.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 5

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
Either the light itself is from 1965 or later or the motor and gear box has been replaced by an older spare.
The new model number was introduced about 1970-71 and the serial number on the name tag ends with 71 that indicates 1971.

Michael

Reactions: lotsofbars
Jun 18, 2013
PA
very cool

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Either the light itself is from 1965 or later or the motor and gear box has been replaced by an older spare.
The new model number was introduced about 1970-71 and the serial number on the name tag ends with 71 that indicates 1971.

Michael
Good to know! I was wondering what other dating features were present on this light. I'm thinking maybe Dietz was just building new lights with older motors, which would make sense if they had surplus.

Reactions: southpaw

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Such a cool light! Still can't believe the price you got it for
Right? I haven't gotten a deal like this since I traded one Tomar bar for like 3 vintage Federal Signal pieces. Even still, the dude who sold it to me got it for $30 at a yard sale, so there's always an even BETTER deal out there.

Reactions: southpaw

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
That's a great find, but as already pointed out, it is not completely original. The motor being a 1965 date and the tag on the band being March, 1971. Something got swapped along the way and that is not uncommon with old equipment that was kept in service.

As you are cleaning, do not apply any sort of solvent, not even rubbing alcohol, to the markings on the motor. I found out the hard way that even alcohol will dissolve that ink.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
That's a great find, but as already pointed out, it is not completely original. The motor being a 1965 date and the tag on the band being March, 1971. Something got swapped along the way and that is not uncommon with old equipment that was kept in service.

As you are cleaning, do not apply any sort of solvent, not even rubbing alcohol, to the markings on the motor. I found out the hard way that even alcohol will dissolve that ink.
I'm not sure that the older motor necessarily means things got swapped around. I'm guessing that Dietz just threw beacons together with whatever appropriate parts they had lying around, regardless of year. Glad to know about the solvent tip, though.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I'm not sure that the older motor necessarily means things got swapped around. I'm guessing that Dietz just threw beacons together with whatever appropriate parts they had lying around, regardless of year. Glad to know about the solvent tip, though.
I don't think so. The ones I have found the date on the motor and on the band tag may be off by up to 3 months, but that's about it. They certainly would not have had motors dated 1965 laying around as late as 1971.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
I don't think so. The ones I have found the date on the motor and on the band tag may be off by up to 3 months, but that's about it. They certainly would not have had motors dated 1965 laying around as late as 1971.
Interesting. I know Dietz hasn't always been known for stellar quality though, as I've seen some pretty off-center bulb cages and motors in the past few years. Go figure. It'll stay a mystery!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.