Dietz 870

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Who can tell me what this is and what it was used for. Kind of rare to find I understand. I orignially picked this up thinking it was for my Dietz kerosene lantern collection, but quickly found out it fits better on this page. It is made from two halves of a Dietz 87 Road Torch, but that is where the similarities end.

DSC_0699 (Small).jpeg DSC_0698 (Small).jpeg DSC_0700 (Small).jpeg DSC_0701 (Small).jpeg

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
It has a locking hasp on one side so it looks like it was meant to be attached to a truck to store something. Wicks for the road torches? Railroad torpedoes? Cigarettes?

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
These were made to hold one round replacement Dietz headlight bulb and an insert with common automotive replacement bulbs, #1157, #53, #1141, etc.

Reactions: kitn1mcc

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
There are a multitude of Dietz Laneterns. They started making lanterns in the 1870's, which were the predecessors of emergency lighting. I have a 1907 Dietz Fire King that hung on fire trucks as a red light and identifier. If this link works take a look at my Pinterest board tha I have several of my lanterns pictured.

See if this link works.

https://www.pinterest.com/kellcin0648/lanterns/

Reactions: kitn1mcc

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
were can we see that Kero lanterns
Forgot to quote you in the message above so you would get the notice. See message above.

I dont' think I have a road torch in those images so here is a Deitz 87 road torch.

Dietz 87.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: tsquale

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
nice collection. i like the RR lanterns you have. The adlake are nice i have tended to those many times. the colored lens other than Red are impressive

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
@Waih136 I would certainly keep it as is (and I may even be a buyer if you were getting rid of it). I think it would be more collectible/desirable as is versus being re-purposed.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sanman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.