Dietz 9-51 deck lights CHP

Mars Light

Just found a bargain on ebay.
Three Dietz 9-51 with a 4001B, 4434A and 4001R. The second 4001R is a freebie. And the idea was born.
IMG_20190411_170025_Medium.jpg

I cleaned the chrome bases, repainted the red and blue SB.
IMG_20190413_100951_Medium.jpgIMG_20190413_101147_Medium.jpg
IMG_20190413_102734_Medium.jpgIMG_20190413_103524_Medium.jpg

And to create a smooth base for the trio I´ve built an socket in wooden style.
IMG_20190421_102623_Medium.jpgIMG_20190421_102711_Medium.jpgIMG_20190421_133023_Medium.jpg

IMG_20190422_190318_Medium.jpgIMG_20190422_190331_Medium.jpg

video shows the correct placement according to the deck lights of an 80s CHP car.

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MtnMan

Very nice! I saw those on eBay and I'm glad to see you snagged them. I'll be doing a similar setup with some new Grote PAR46 housings that I found for cheap.

If you want to be historically accurate, I don't think CHP used steady red rear lights. According to the sources I've found, the original setup would have been a choice of amber/blue alternating or red/blue alternating. Easy to do with a DPDT, center-off switch. Let me know if you need wiring advice.

cmb56

CHP did not use chrome plated housings but gray painted.

The red and amber was flashing from the same flasher either the red or the amber by a center off switch.
At least in 1968-1969.
I have the official electrical circuit scheme for the 1968 and 1969 Dodge Polara.

I am not shure how the blue was connected but I think there was a topic here that explaind that it seems to have been some different configurations.

Michael

OP
OP
Mars Light

Mars Light

In the late 80s the CHP used all 3 colors to the rear.
I found two versions.
1) amber/blue alternating, red steady burn
2) amber/ blue alternating, red flashes individual

@ MtnMan - can you please send me the wiring advice. Thanks

dmathieu

Premium Member
In the late 80s the CHP used all 3 colors to the rear.
I found two versions.
1) amber/blue alternating, red steady burn
2) amber/ blue alternating, red flashes individual

@ MtnMan - can you please send me the wiring advice. Thanks
I've seen both of these versions.

bpollard

Nice work. The only piece of constructive criticism i would respectfully offer is this: PLEASE rotate the amber bulb slightly to the right so that the flutes are horizontal.

Yes i know i am OCD.

Bob

southpaw

Gold Supporter
A Dietz 510 housing will fit your 4434A perfectly. They come a lot on Ebay are are usually reasonably priced..

Stampeed Valkyrie

Silver Supporter
Again.. the only people who would know the difference in bulb placement are here on elb.. lol.

southpaw

Gold Supporter
:)

@southpaw - this vid was one option. The other one is this.
Can you provide me the wiring circuit to connect the trio correct.
Not really, because you have to decide how you want them to work, in what parings and combination and go from there. If you ever find a Fed. Sig. CC!1 grab it, but they can be a harder item to find and I think the last one I saw went for some bigger dollars...

cmb56

Here is a photo of a Federal CC1 and a photo of the switch installation in a 1969 Dodge Polara.

Personally I should connect the red and blue for alternating flash as primary mode and the amber to flash alone in secondary mode.
Or maybe let the amber alternating with the red in secondary mode.
Originally the amber was intended as secondary warning.

106E12BF-3010-4685-A412-82A998F11716.jpeg

72D7C4F0-BF11-46F8-8EC5-19AC8C8365AD.jpeg

Michael

cmb56

Here you have the instruction for the CC1.
You might get some information of how to configurate your lights from this.
The blue light is not mentioned probably because it was started to be used about the same time this instruction was printed.

Michael

Attachments

RCMoeur

Established Member
Good ol' PAR 46s. I remember when our neighbors in the state to our left used to have them in the backs of their barbie cars Mustangs. :)

OP
OP
Mars Light

Mars Light

Not really, because you have to decide how you want them to work, in what parings and combination and go from there.
A on/off/on switch with amber/blue on one side and red/blue at the other side.
Need I for this wiring a second flasher relay?

MtnMan

Here's the CHP motor shop diagram for 1984 vehicles, using the Federal Signal CC1 control head. This setup gives a choice of amber+blue flashing or red+blue flashing. The blue light will be either simultaneous or alternating with the other color, depending on the flasher used (both options are shown in the diagram).

CHP 1984.jpg

And this is a simple circuit with a DPDT, center-off switch that produces the same functionality.

CHP lights.jpg

Crownfire

The best explanation I’ve heard was the rear deck lights were originally conceived as a traffic signal light. Steady red= stop until the light changes (or directed by the officer). Flashing red= stop, then proceed when safe. Flashing amber= caution. Any driver would be expected to know what the lights meant without any help. The blue came along much later and identified the vehicle as law enforcement.

MtnMan

The best explanation I’ve heard was the rear deck lights were originally conceived as a traffic signal light. Steady red= stop until the light changes (or directed by the officer). Flashing red= stop, then proceed when safe. Flashing amber= caution.
It’s an appealing theory, but I’m not aware that CHP ever used a switching setup capable of three modes.

cmb56

It’s an appealing theory, but I’m not aware that CHP ever used a switching setup capable of three modes.
There was not any such function as steady red to the rear in the 1968 and 1969 Dodge Polaras as can be seen in the photo I uploaded earlier and the circuit diagram for the 1968 and also for the 1969 do not show any such option.

Michael

cmb56

Here are a few photos I had on file, taken sometime in the mid 80s by a person working at the Swedish DOT that I got from him after his visit to CHP.
This seems to be a vehicle using the later 550 flasher that gives simultaneous red/blue or amber/blue flash.

Michael
7B829C4A-95E5-41DC-B5DB-CB05165361EF.jpeg

LineSpotter

I rescued these along with all mounting brackets off of some CHP cars used in a movie done here some years ago. Cars had been rigged and were pretty trashed, local salvage had contracted to haul them all (about 2 dozen vehicles total) for scrap value. I talked to the guy and asked if I could save any of the lights.... “Bring us both Chick-Fil-A and you can take what you like”

Would love to see them go to a good home :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F.F. Hicks
Top Bottom