Dietz Omni Chief

Aug 1, 2011
Ballston Spa NY USA
recently i had found a Dietz Omni Chief bar at a fire station that seemed to be in OK shape except for the guts.. was just wondering what it would be worth in perfect condition. right now the frame and domes look perfect. but when i saw it i could see pieces if sealed beam and rotator assembly scattered about in the bar. but that was only on one side. the other side seemed ok. i wish i had some pics but didnt have time to get any.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
The Omni Chief was an interesting bar, also sold by Smith & Wesson as their model 7700. Although it looks much like a Code 3 SD or Federal Twinsonic, parts will not interchange with it and very few replacement parts are available today. The drive mechanism was a single motor with giant rubber bands turning the rotating assemblies. The rubber bands were the real weak point, they dry out, become brittle and disintegrate.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
In Canada, the RCMP had Dietz Omni Chief and Federal Twin Sonic light bars on their patrol cars in the 1970s and 1980s.

Aug 1, 2011
Ballston Spa NY USA
plybeep68 said:
Can you get some pictures? I would like to find some red and blue covers for mine, it currently has amber/yellow whatever you want to call it! lol

its all red. but next time im in that area i'll see what i can do

stansdds said:
The Omni Chief was an interesting bar, also sold by Smith & Wesson as their model 7700. Although it looks much like a Code 3 SD or Federal Twinsonic, parts will not interchange with it and very few replacement parts are available today. The drive mechanism was a single motor with giant rubber bands turning the rotating assemblies. The rubber bands were the real weak point, they dry out, become brittle and disintegrate.

yea i kinda figured that when i first saw it

Wailer said:
In Canada, the RCMP had Dietz Omni Chief and Federal Twin Sonic light bars on their patrol cars in the 1970s and 1980s.

RCMP? oh you mean the Royal Canadian Mounted Police correct?

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
chrismartin1701 said:
RCMP? oh you mean the Royal Canadian Mounted Police correct?

Yes. Back in those days the cars were dark blue with white front doors. The cars had either one of four types of roof lighting:

Federal Twin Sonic light bar with front and rear mirror reflectors

Dietz Omni Chief light bar

Rack with two flat top four beam Dominion Auto beacons and compact siren speaker

Rack with two large Grote four beam beacons and compact siren speaker

They used Federal PA15A sirens - both low and high-pitched versions.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.