Difference Between 2000 and 2005 CVPI

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
My SAR team acquired a 2000 CVPI and my chief wants me to spec it out. The only catch is, I have to use all Code 3, since apparently we're getting a donation from them or something. I was looking at the SuperVisors, and noticed that the years are only 2005-present models. Is there something different with the visors on the earlier models that would make installation impossible, or just more difficult?

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I drove an unmarked 2000 while in the acad and didn't notice any huge differences. The instrument cluster and door controls are different than later models (though the cluster should be the same in an 05 now that I think about it) and the grill was a different design, but I think that is about it. I never did any work on it, but it had the same lighting setup as a later model we have (3 dual dashmizers, 4 grill strobes, W/W's, and 6 HAW's) and seemed to be installed the same.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Yes.... the headliners and where the visors are installed look similar but they're about an inch off between 2004-2005... I made some custom visor lights for the CVPI and unfortunately found out the hard way that one set of visors is from about 1998-2004... other is 2005+... It can be made to work, but it'll require some modification...

Good Luck,

Seth

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
Early in the 2005 CVPI production, Ford changed to the new-style visor clips. Some early '05s cars had the old style, but most are the newer, better style. The old clips were very fragile and had a smaller footprint, making hanging stuff from them an adventure. I can't remember if the new spacing is wider or closer from roof center, but the difference is significant, about an inch each side.

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
C2Installs said:
Early in the 2005 CVPI production, Ford changed to the new-style visor clips. Some early '05s cars had the old style, but most are the newer, better style. The old clips were very fragile and had a smaller footprint, making hanging stuff from them an adventure. I can't remember if the new spacing is wider or closer from roof center, but the difference is significant, about an inch each side.

I see....so it was just that one change then? I was researching Code3's SuperVisor and it looks like to remedy the problem they just redesigned their mounts to accommodate both, but they were talking about 05's, so I didn't know if there was another change too. Looks like it'll work. Thanks!

Jul 13, 2010
Atlanta
Though your question has already been answered, I will add to it. I have become an expert in Crown Vics 98'-present. I can just look at one and know exactly what year model it is. In 2005 the mounts for the visors were changed and are not compatible with older models. Really the only thing that is the same between an 05' and an 00' model is the body. Completely different interior, engine, computer system, tranny, suspension, etc., etc.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.