Difference between AWL Intimidator and L18?

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
emt.micah said:
Can someone tell me the difference between the AWL Intimidator and the AWL L18?

I have found Tom's video comparing the L18 to the Whelen Dual Avenger, but nothing on the Intimidator.

Little help?

Quite a bit...the L18 is an original design, it is not a "knock-off" of a Whelen or Federal Signal light. It also has 9 LEDs per module, for a total of 18 (The "18" in the name).

The Intimidator is a knock-off of the Federal Signal Viper S2, and has 8 LED's per module, for a total of 16.

The video that Tom posted was a comparison of the output of the two lights, not a comparison of the similarity of the designs.

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
I asked this question to AWL myself, the answer I got via their facebook page was:

"The L18 is made with higher quality components, and is brighter, thus the higher price. Also, the Intimidator and L18 both utilize Linear optics/LEDs."

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
The differences have been mostly summed up so far. As always, if you aren't fully satisfied with it, let me know and I'll take it back.

The L18 is a great light, I'm sad to see it go. I'll be moving to a new-style dash light that will be available in a few weeks.

SBFD-E-9

May 24, 2010
Washington IL
fireman658 said:
I currently use an all blue L18 in the front and it's way under priced!!!! Amazing light!!!!!!!

I have a B/B L18 as well and it is a great light. Super bright even through the dark tint strip on my Tahoe.

Dan

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
Bought a L18 a while back in B/B, tinted the light, and put under my visor behind the factory AS1 tint strip...super super bright light!! Wish I still had it!! I traded it for a mobile kenwood which I needed more at the time. Next light I'm buying is an L18 though! I would recommend it!

DJIceman97

Dec 22, 2012
Northeast Kentucky
I have both, an L18 in R/C and two Intimidators in R/R...either way, you should be alright with them. The L18 is significantly brighter, but the Intimidator has no problem punching through 20% tint in the sides of my truck.

Night

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
ledguy said:
You can purchase the SL20 from here.

SL20 LED DASH LIGHT

emt.micah said:
Thanks Iceman. I'd seen you videos when searching YouTube for the Intimidator. Looks good.

I'd love to wait and see what Tom has coming next to replace the L18. But I had an immediate need and there were no blue L18s available.

As LEDguy said, he has them for sale on his site. There are a few distributors that can still get it for you other than Tom, 911 Radio Supply comes to mind. I have used the SL-20, it is an excellent light.

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
The new dash light is coming along pretty well, I think you guys will like it. I'm trying to get a whole new product line in stock as quickly as possible, but I want to make sure I'm releasing a quality product for you guys. Final dash light testing should be done in a week or two, then I'll try to get a sneak peek video up for everyone. :)

Thanks for the support guys, I'm lucky to have such a fantastic and loyal customer base!

cybercop

May 31, 2010
USA, TX/South
Tom said:
The new dash light is coming along pretty well, I think you guys will like it. I'm trying to get a whole new product line in stock as quickly as possible, but I want to make sure I'm releasing a quality product for you guys. Final dash light testing should be done in a week or two, then I'll try to get a sneak peek video up for everyone. :)

Thanks for the support guys, I'm lucky to have such a fantastic and loyal customer base!

Any hint on what it will look like?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.